Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Ok, So it is all associated with the current May flight confirmation number. I'm going to go print that out. We booked with points, so I believe the extra we got credited back go directly to our RR points balance?
Yes- it would go back to your RR points

Great News about the extension of Travel funds! Quick question for the SW experts. Now that the travel fund worries are abated somewhat, let's talk about already purchased Early Boarding. Had an mid April trip planned, moved it to early mid May with the change option, thereby allowing the EB to transfer to the new May flights. Not yet feeling the love for a May 1 opening, I'm trying to figure out other options. We already have a hotel for December. Flights for that time frame won't go on sale until mid/late June...at least I think that's what I read. In the event that I have to cancel the May trip, without being able to purchase December flights yet, won't I lose the EB that I already purchased if I cancel the May flights? If yes, would an option be to "change" to an obscure anytime flight later in the year, knowing that when December opens, I can "change" again to December...allowing the already purchased EB to stay with us....???? I'm not too concerned about what $$$ difference there might be for the obscure flight...let's face it..fares are gonna be low. Thoughts?

My experience from cancelling April flights. I cancelled some online. Got the Travel Funds but lost EB credit. Had to call in other flights to cancel (linked to a minor, etc) - EB credit was refunded automatically. Took 2 hours on hold, but would have been helpful to know because I literally cancelled the other flights online while I was on hold. Would have saved myself $100.

My experience from cancelling April flights. I cancelled some online. Got the Travel Funds but lost EB credit. Had to call in other flights to cancel (linked to a minor, etc) - EB credit was refunded automatically. Took 2 hours on hold, but would have been helpful to know because I literally cancelled the other flights online while I was on hold. Would have saved myself $100.
Yes, that's what I'm trying to avoid...losing the EBCI. So far it's followed from the April flights to the May flights. Like everyone, I'm hoping for a May 1 opening but...... If that fails, I'll do my best to hang on to the EBCI for the December flights.

Ok, So it is all associated with the current May flight confirmation number. I'm going to go print that out. We booked with points, so I believe the extra we got credited back go directly to our RR points balance?

Well... points is completely different!! LOL - you didn't mention that.
EDIT: OH!!! You meant YOUR flights were with points while THEIRS were cash. Yes, you've got it right.

Well... points is completely different!! LOL - you didn't mention that.
EDIT: OH!!! You meant YOUR flights were with points while THEIRS were cash. Yes, you've got it right.
Yes! I booked ours with points and there's was on credit.

Email message from Southwest:

A message from our SVP and Chief Marketing Officer, Ryan Green
To our valued Customers,
As the COVID-19 pandemic spreads, the world around us is changing rapidly. And while many things are changing, our commitment to your Safety and providing travel flexibility has not changed.
First, and most importantly, your Safety and that of our other Customers and Employees is our top priority. Please make sure you're following CDC guidelines when traveling, and as always, please do not travel if you're not feeling well.
Also, I fully appreciate the uncertainty, anxiety, and questions some of you may have regarding how your travel might be impacted. Please know we are working around the clock to keep our commitment to your Safety and providing travel flexibility.
Aircraft Environment and Cleanliness

There has never before been a higher focus on the cleanliness of our aircraft, and we are making sweeping changes across the board to keep our planes cleaner than ever.
In my previous note to you, I mentioned our enhanced cleaning procedures, which you can learn about here. Everything we're doing meets or exceeds recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
We equip each of our aircraft with a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, which filters out recirculated air onboard each plane to remove airborne particles. The air in the cabin is fully exchanged with fresh air 20-30 times per hour. These same HEPA filters are also used in hospitals to provide patients with clean air.
Effective March 18, we have also temporarily adjusted our inflight food and beverage service to limit Customer and Flight Attendant interactions. Our Flight Attendants will now hand out unopened cans of water and a pre-packaged snack on flights greater than 250 miles.
Additional Flexibility if You Need to Adjust Your Travel Plans

With the unprecedented cancellations of events and foreign countries issuing travel restrictions, we understand your travel plans may change. So, we have made additional changes to our already very flexible policies.
If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight before its departure, the funds used to pay for a nonrefundable ticket are normally valid for one year from the date of purchase. However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:
oCustomers' funds that have expired or will expire between March 1-May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.
oAny travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021.
oIt will take our Technology Teams a few weeks to make these changes, and once you're ready to use these funds, simply reference the PNR number on the reservation and use it as you would use "store credit" at most retail establishments.
Also, any travel planned through the end of April can be changed online for up to 60 days from the original date of travel without paying any difference in fare if you are traveling between the same origin and destination.
A-List Preferred, A-List, and Companion Pass Qualification

I know many of our A-List Preferred, A-List, and Companion Pass Members–or those working to qualify for these benefits–have questions about how the current environment may impact their ability to qualify for status this year. While I don't have an answer for you today, we are closely monitoring this situation, and we will follow-up at the appropriate time on how we will address this situation.

Upcoming Schedule Revisions

We are aggressively managing our business so that we can continue to serve you and deliver the Hospitality you expect from Southwest Airlines® into the future. If one of your upcoming flights is impacted, you will receive a notification from us making you aware of the change. Wait times to speak to a Representative in our call centers are likely to be very high, but you can always make modifications online.
To stay abreast of the latest information and frequently asked questions in this continually changing environment, we have created a resource center on southwest.com.
On behalf of the entire Southwest® Family, I want to thank you for your loyalty, trust, and understanding. Our Hearts go out to all those impacted by this pandemic.
We look forward to seeing you onboard for your next trip,
Signature of Ryan Green
Ryan Green
SVP & Chief Marketing Officer

I take it for the second bullet point that talks about travel funds created because of a flight cancellation, they're talking about a flight that SW cancels (removes from the schedule) rather than a flight that the customer cancels? I've been trying to decipher that one.

I take it for the second bullet point that talks about travel funds created because of a flight cancellation, they're talking about a flight that SW cancels (removes from the schedule) rather than a flight that the customer cancels? I've been trying to decipher that one.

No. SW announced earlier in an email to customers (which did not include anything about schedule reductions) that customers cancelling flights between March 1 and May 31 will have the travel fund expiration date *reset* to June 30, 2021. The actual email is clearer that the posting above. The bullet you're talking about clearly is a sub-bullet under "If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight before its departure ".

Steve

No. SW announced earlier in an email to customers (which did not include anything about schedule reductions) that customers cancelling flights between March 1 and May 31 will have the travel fund expiration date *reset* to June 30, 2021. The actual email is clearer that the posting above. The bullet you're talking about clearly is a sub-bullet under "If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight before its departure ".

Steve
Thank you for clarifying @Fangorn! I knew I could change my flight under the restrictions offered for my specific flight (thanks to this thread!), but not about the travel funds (I didn't get that email).
And thank you @Iowamomof4 for asking the question, as I was also trying to decipher it.

Can someone clarify what’s going on with EBCI if I cancel my April flight? Not wanting to reschedule right now. I might have rescheduled for May, but that isn’t looking likely either. We have a trip already booked for September, so not too interested in going in July or August. I might look at December or January. Normally I know I would lose the EBCI if I cancel, but I think I have read some people getting refunds for it now? Thanks!

Can someone clarify what’s going on with EBCI if I cancel my April flight? Not wanting to reschedule right now. I might have rescheduled for May, but that isn’t looking likely either. We have a trip already booked for September, so not too interested in going in July or August. I might look at December or January. Normally I know I would lose the EBCI if I cancel, but I think I have read some people getting refunds for it now? Thanks!
We'd be out $200 if we cancelled, so I'd love it if they were refunding that.

SW keeps sending me emails about sales, so I looked at DH's PIT to SFO flight in May. It no longer shows up for his date, although in his account the trip hasn't changed (yet). His booked flight has one stop with a 3+ hour layover in DEN, the one showing today if I look to book a new flight has a 4 hour layover in ATL and 40 minutes in DEN. If he gets switched to that and his luggage doesn't make the transfers he will be in big trouble. HOWEVER, both legs of his flights are still showing up as individual legs and for fewer points than we paid (we paid 11,000+, now the legs are 3991 and 3556). So weird. Guess I will just keep an eye on it, we are still unsure the trip will happen.

SW keeps sending me emails about sales, so I looked at DH's PIT to SFO flight in May. It no longer shows up for his date, although in his account the trip hasn't changed (yet). His booked flight has one stop with a 3+ hour layover in DEN, the one showing today if I look to book a new flight has a 4 hour layover in ATL and 40 minutes in DEN. If he gets switched to that and his luggage doesn't make the transfers he will be in big trouble. HOWEVER, both legs of his flights are still showing up as individual legs and for fewer points than we paid (we paid 11,000+, now the legs are 3991 and 3556). So weird. Guess I will just keep an eye on it, we are still unsure the trip will happen.

I am seeing a similar thing with my 3 trips I have booked! All 3 of them the flights have been taken off the schedule, yet they are still showing as booked on my end!

My understand is flights booked on points and cancelled then the points go back into the account used regardless of who the flight was booked - this is correct, yes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter