Post-Race Blues

monsterkitty

DIS Veteran
Do you get the post-race blues a few days after your races? What do you do to get over the blues?

Please tell me I am not the only one who gets the blues after every race - even races I PR in! :crazy2:

Yes for some races like Disney.

It is because of the build up and anticipation, the training and the talking and discussing it for months on end....and really its all for an event that lasts few hours. That's life tho isn't it?

Disney is the hardest for me. In past, its ben a family event. So training for the Dopey or Goofy began right after I signed up for it in spring. It was discussed all season and into the winter again. My family , we all book our own rooms at the hotels and when we arrive its so much fun! All the energy and excitement of doing something we had been talking about for months has finally arrived!

Then its over. Done. The moment passed. No one talks about it anymore because its all finished and its time to move forward on to the next challenge.

So I think that's it....have something else that is after that event to keep you going.

I know some races come and go for me. I sign up for them months early. They are here. I run them. They are gone and I give them little thought. However some have this lasting and lingering feeling of wishing the moment might last a little longer.

Sort of like Christmas as a kid. You look forward to it for weeks. It is here. Then its gone. As a kid you want to keep reliving that moment because you enjoyed it.

That is the one thing I dread about the Disney races...they do that to me. The Monday after the Dopey this year....I was so sad. I had my medals but it was all over. Most people were gone home planning their next adventure.

Time is what heals it.

The Monday after the Dopey this year....I was so sad. I had my medals but it was all over. Most people were gone home planning their next adventure.

That's because you weren't at DATW! Monday is even more fun than the races if you're at DATW. :)

I am at a loss...what is DATW????

This next RunDisney event in Orlando in January I wont have the blues though. I will be leaving Sunday morning and then flying out west to run the Star Wars races....THEN I will sing the blues the following week!

I"m assuming it's Drinking Around The World at Epcot.

I haven't yet gotten the post-race blues. Because I have yet to have a race that felt amazing, so I'm already pretty down. TOT was so hot I just wanted to get under a freezing cold shower. WDW Half I was so sick I barely realized I had finished until about a month later. A St Patrick's day local race was actually OK but still, no blues.

Hmm. Maybe I just don't get such a thing. But there's always hope that I will. :)

I'm suffering right now not from post race blues but from summer blues from lack of races and theme park visits.Basically when you live in Florida its too hot,rainy and humid to do anything outside,until October.I signed up for 2 back to back 5Ks on the same morning at the end of August to do something in this dead time.Also the race seems pretty unique,you run a timed 5K at 7:30am,finish and get back to the starting line for a 5K color run at 8:30am.Once I get to October I won't have time to have any kind of post race blues,I think I might be doing like 11-12 races between October and April.

Do you get the post-race blues a few days after your races? What do you do to get over the blues?

Please tell me I am not the only one who gets the blues after every race - even races I PR in! :crazy2:

I am new to racing this year. I ran my first race on 6/1. A 10K to provide a POT to runDisney for the ToT I am running in October. I ran such a good race despite it being my first and having a headcold so bad I almost didn't go. I felt great during the race. Then it ended and I was bummed. So bummed, even though I already had the ToT to run in October, that I signed up for my first marathon 2 weeks after the ToT. :confused3:confused3:confused3

What the heck was I thinking?

Okay. So drinking around the world...got it. Yes that would clear my blues alright.
The next Disney race I do is in January but I am running the half and going home on Sunday...so no DATW. I am leaving Sunday so I can go home and turn around and fly west for SW in DL.

However I will remember this for the following year...not to get too far ahead of myself...if I run the Dopey or Goofy I will finish it up with DATW afterwards.

I'm suffering right now not from post race blues but from summer blues from lack of races and theme park visits.Basically when you live in Florida its too hot,rainy and humid to do anything outside,until October.I signed up for 2 back to back 5Ks on the same morning at the end of August to do something in this dead time.Also the race seems pretty unique,you run a timed 5K at 7:30am,finish and get back to the starting line for a 5K color run at 8:30am.Once I get to October I won't have time to have any kind of post race blues,I think I might be doing like 11-12 races between October and April.

Yes. It gets harder and harder to find a race...any race in summer. I found one that is a 5 miler that I signed up for. However it is 20 miles away on a Sunday during 4th of July weekend...which translates to MAJOR TRAFFIC. So I am going to try to ride my bicycle to the start line. Ride my bike 20 miles...run or walk 5 miles then ride home 20 miles. Should be interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter