Prepaid Gratuities on Oasis of the Seas

Malyel

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We are sailing RC for the first time later this summer. We prepaid our cruise gratuities, and all purchased beverage packages which, if I remember correctly, had gratuities added at checkout. Additionally, we purchased some premium dining which also (if I am remembering it right) had gratuities added at checkout.

What are the current thoughts on tipping? I will feel super weird if I order a drink and don't tip. Or, are the bartenders used to a lot of people prepaying via a beverage package? We haven't cruised in over 20 years, so I'm honestly not sure how this is handled. I don't want to leave a tip off if it is expected, but I also don't want to double tip.

Thanks!

I think the POS system figures this stuff out, so that if you purchased a la carte, the 18% is automatically added, and if you have a drink package, you shouldn't be charged anything.

Mind you, you can and should periodically check your on board billing to ensure that you're not getting charged for anything you shouldn't be.

Hello,

We are sailing RC for the first time later this summer. We prepaid our cruise gratuities, and all purchased beverage packages which, if I remember correctly, had gratuities added at checkout. Additionally, we purchased some premium dining which also (if I am remembering it right) had gratuities added at checkout.

What are the current thoughts on tipping? I will feel super weird if I order a drink and don't tip. Or, are the bartenders used to a lot of people prepaying via a beverage package? We haven't cruised in over 20 years, so I'm honestly not sure how this is handled. I don't want to leave a tip off if it is expected, but I also don't want to double tip.

Thanks!

We did Oasis, prepaid gratuities and had beverage packages.

The first day was maybe our learning curve. We knew we prepaid drink package tips but we still had the old thought process of a tip might improve service or get you served faster. It was not necessary. What was interesting is that probably 80% of the time we didn't even sign a receipt to leave an extra tip. We stopped giving extra except for a few spots .... DH, DS and I were in the pub every day and we looked for our same server who we had great convo with. We always tipped her extra. We had a bartender that moved about and was our caretaker :goodvibes on Labadee so by the end of the week we tipped him extra. Same for the other folks we were with.

Our servers at dinner were exceptional as was our steward. All three got cash in an envelope at the end of the week. I would say it is not expected but greatly appreciated. The servers and bartenders have ability to generate more income if they indeed get the tip themselves. The good ones will be popular and working hard. The stewards are constrained by their guests.

I think my only concern with adding to the bar tab tip was ........... do they get it all or have to share it? I know prepaids are split among many. I might research that before our Nov cruise.

We haven’t cruised with RC in 5 years but back then it was explained to us like this:
You pay the gratuity on the package price not the drink itself.
We had a lot more drinks per day than the price of the package. RC isn’t going to pay out more in tips than you paid them.
You didn’t have to tip extra.
We did. Carried
Cash and tipped at time of service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter