Preparing for trip post transplant

Be cognizant about ticket choices. Sometimes, Disney's 4 day specials are 1 park each day, with no repeat of a park. That could interfere with plans to double-up at a particular park.

I'm extremely immunocompromised, have lived a life of masking since pre-COVID and will always have to be masking, social distancing, wiping everything, etc as much as possible.

Through many trips, I've found some things that work for me and my family. From the touch points and finger scanners to enter the parks, it's a reminder that people are gross and germy. Don't know if/how often they clean them. I wear disposable gloves to enter the park. They'll flag down a guest relations person to help you enter the park.

I wear as much clothing as possible to cover exposed areas. Sun shirt, hat, lightweight pants, and sneakers. I mask up in the parks by usually wearing a N95. I found a company that makes a N95 with reusable filters and it's surprisingly comfortable. If you'd want the name I can find that for you.

For attractions, I again glove up as there's not usually enough time to wipe down a ride seat before you sit down. After I'm off the ride, I take off the gloves then wipe down my hands with an antibacterial wipe.

We try to avoid the busiest parts of the day and take a break back midday back at our resort. Back to resort means wipe down with wet washcloth or baby wipes and full change of clothing.

They're expensive, but if you can afford it I'd recommend a deluxe resort. They have special evening hours for deluxe guests 2x a week and during those hours the parks are much less busy than they are during the day. Also some you can walk to parks. Our favorites are probably the Epcot resorts for easy access to Epcot and the Studios. I think Disney has announced free dining package and some room discounts for this fall.

After hours parties are expensive but another "less crowded" way to enjoy the parks. To see the MK fireworks, we do the Magic Kingdom fireworks desserts after party. Reserved area for the fireworks and after the fireworks you can enjoy a dessert buffet while people are rushing out of the park.

Epcot fireworks has some dinner packages or a fireworks cruise sailing from the Yacht Club would be the least crowded ways to enjoy them. For Fantasmic at the Studios, lunch or dinner package would probably be the best way to try and see it.

When you check in to a restaurant you can always ask to be seated towards the side or a less busy part of a restaurant. For meals, we always wipe down the tables ourselves before we sit down. I've found these awesome individually wrapped wipes that kill so many different viruses and bacteria. I think they're called A3 wipes. Salt and pepper shakers have the who knows when it's last been cleaned and who touched it last so I just bring my own salt packets.

Disney chefs are wonderful at accommodating food allergies and other dietary restrictions, I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to get him food from the back vs him getting food off the buffet line. Timing wise for meals, we typically dine at off peak times so around opening. Much less busy and chaotic. Lots of restaurants are doing mobile order now too so you can always place an order and find somewhere quieter to eat.

Not sure if you'll be driving or flying. Even staying on property, we prefer to drive to the parks and not use Disney transportation besides the MK. We've been on too many packed busses full of coughing people. Sometimes we use Uber or MinnieVan. If you're flying you'll be able to preboard to wipe down the seat and his general area.

Goodness that was a lot of information. Hope this helped and if you have any questions or want clarification on anything, feel free to ask!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter