Priceline question?

jdm

DIS Veteran
I am considering using Priceline for our trip in Feb. (I know a long time away... but I'm in the re-search mode!) I've never used Priceline before. Did I read somewhere that you are only guaranteed one bed? Does this mean that If it is a family of four you run the risk of the kids not getting a bed? It doesn't seem realistic to bid on two rooms for 4 people (if two are children). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Jenn

In family oriented Orlando you aren't likely to have a problem requesting a room with 2 beds after you win a bid, and I personally would feel comfortable bidding on one room for a family of 4, BUT remember that the hotel is only obligated to provide you with one bed. As long as you go into it with that perspective, you won't be disappointed. If worse came to worst and the hotel didn't provide you with 2 beds, you could get a roll away or take 2 sleeping bags. I doubt that you'd have a problem, but you are agreeing to one bed when you bid. I've seen people on these boards get very upset with Priceline when that's exactly what they got. IMHO that really isn't fair to Priceline. :)

Since you don't know, in advance, what hotel you're getting there is no way to call the hotel in advance. Although most hotels, in Orlando, will accomodate you someone recently posted that the Hilton (4*) would only give them a king bed room.
You should be ok for 3 or 4 in Orlando, but you really have no recourse if there's a problem.

We recently had this problem come up for us. We stayed at the Wyndham and were given one king bed. I phoned the hotel to see if I could request two doubles. We weren't able to get two beds, but I was reassured that there was a pullout couch in the room. By the way, the king bed was so big - we all could have fit in it if we had to. Thank goodness for the couch!!!

This last week, I got brave enough to try priceline. We got a 3*room at the Wyndham in Omaha for $21 and were given 1 King Bed. They had the option of 1 King or 2 doubles. We did get a free upgrade to a King suite with a pullout couch bed for our little daughter. We all could have fit on the King if we needed to. Today, I won another bid in WDW area for the 3*Renaissance World Gate for Jan. I bid on 3 rooms, because we'll have a group of 5. So my DH & I will have a King room, the college daughter and little daughter will share a King room, and the college boyfriend will have his own King room. I got the rooms for $25 plus the $20 Am. Ex. Bonus. When I called the hotel, they acted as though Kings were my only choice. We planned for that, so we didn't care. I think it's very chancy to assume that you'll get 2 double beds with priceline. I wish it were different, but that's the way it is, when you use priceline. I sure am having fun bidding! pomcoach :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was hoping to bid on a four star but now I am really hesitant. It would be with my 9 and 17 year old daughters. They would not want to share a King bed with us and I don't think they'd go for the sleeping bag thing either! Ha! Oh what to do, what to do! I love the idea of getting such a great deal but may have to play it safe. Am taking dd to San Francisco for her graduation trip in June. It will be just her and I so I will be sure to try bidding for that! The rooms in SF are so $$$$! Thanks again! Jenn

Isn't there another option besides priceline where they tell you if you get your room and you have 15 minutes to accept?

Sharon

skremark,
You can go to hotwire.com. It is kind of like priceline, except you have one hour to except. The only problem is that they tell you the price and that there is availabilty and you pick the hotel, then they give you its name and address. It is almost the same as priceline, however, I have not used it bc I do not know anyone who has used it yet. I also cannot recall if they give you a specific choice "area" like priceline does, so you dont really know how close to an attraction you will be.
If you decide to try it, please post the results for our future reference.
Thanks,
Mowsearz

With the low rates you receive thru Priceline, you can afford to get 2 rooms.

In Orlando, a typical 3* hotel can be had for ~$35-45 per night. So if your kids want their own beds, perhaps a separate room might work better.

Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter