"Priceline Rooms? vs. regular rooms?"

tothesea

DIS Veteran
Been reading so many hotel reviews...there seems to be a trend that sometimes people who book through priceline get really bad rooms, while others may get a renovated room.

Could this be true?

It is probably just luck of the draw :confused3

Why not consider a condo or townhome instead of hotel - you will be sure to find something around the same price but at least you will know exactly what you are getting if you book directly with the owner. Most have 360 tours of the properties.

Try sites like www.vrbo.com or www.greatrentals.com and search under Kissimmee - you might be surprised with what you can find.

Been reading so many hotel reviews...there seems to be a trend that sometimes people who book through priceline get really bad rooms, while others may get a renovated room.

Could this be true?

That's not been my experience. I've used Priceline in many cities for a total of more than three dozen stays over the past few years and have never been in an undesirable room - one hotel in Massachusetts tried to put us in an already occupied room once, but I don't think that they were trying to double up the Priceline customers. I agree with CoralCay that placement is just the luck of the draw based on what is available at the time of check-in.

I'd not hesitate to use Priceline if they take the price that I think is appropriate.

Dick Taylor

I have used PL numerous times. Only once have I gotten an "inferior" room. I went to the front desk and complained. The staff acted "put out" so I asked for a manger. He and I had a discussion during which I pointed out "I did not MAKE you sell the room for this rate" I was upgraded to a suite. (This was in Chicago and the room I was in had been trashed, A/C sounded like a train was in the room etc)

I'm glad to hear that, thanks everyone! I just couldn't see how they would have different rooms.

I've stayed at the Downtown Disney Hilton Resort every summer for the past several years using Priceline -- and I must say that I do usually end up about as far from the elevator as I can possibly be, which I understand is typically considered a less desireable spot. And the few times I've asked if there's a higher floor room available, I've been told no. But I always go at really peak times, when the hotel is pretty much full, and since I've always gotten the room for about $60 a night, I didn't mind dragging my suitecase down the hall a ways. Can't imagine going and not using Priceline.

The problem with priceline is it is what hoteliers consider a "3rd party wholesale reservation" Most hotels consider that reservation to only be Garaunteed room not room type. If the hotel has cetain roomtypes oversold you might wind up in a smoking room when you wanted non or a king when you need doubles. Fortunately if you are able to book through priceline most likely the area is very slow and you wont have that problem but from time to time it may happen.

Priceline only gaurantees a standard room for two people. Standard room usually means the least expensive. So you may get a room with the less desireable views or a less desireable location though that has only happened to me once. We got two rooms down behind a roof with a view of the AC units. But sice we paid so little I did not expect a top floor view of the Orlando area. The rooms were still fine. Sometimes you get a great room. I got a room at the Santa Clara Westin (Now Hyatt Regency) that had a nice balconey and there are hardly any rooms at that hotel with balconies.

For my last two stays, I was lucky to be one of the few upgraded to newly renovated rooms when staying on a Priceline bid.

It helps to check in early before all the good rooms are gone (before 6) and be really nice to the desk person at checkin.

For my last stay in Orlando, I ended up in a tower room with a sleep number bed with down comforter for $45/night. This was when the hotel was sold out and 3/4 of the hotel rooms in the older non-tower section were in badly need of renovation.

I've won over 70 Priceline rooms and only once did I get stuck in what was definately a marginal room compared to others on the property.

I wanted to add that I would not complain to the manger if I got the "bad view" or the "room at the end of the hall" or even an un-renovated room if the hotel was in the middle of a rennoation.

I travel a lot on business and I know that the major chains save the views/upgrades/fancy rooms for folks like me paying a good rate with "loyalty" to the chain/hotel.

However, I will complain if I get the only "un-renovated" room in the joint, the room is dirty, the room has other issues which make it "sub standard' for the hotel chain.

I have heard of folks complaining because "we didn't get an ocean view" WHAT? Why would the hotel give me an ocean view when I paid fifty dollars and they can sell that room to someone for $200. I expect the "standard" view (to use Disney terms), but I expect it to meet the standards. (Clean, quite, non-smoking, everything works Priceline claims you are getting non-smoking so....)

For my last two stays, I was lucky to be one of the few upgraded to newly renovated rooms when staying on a Priceline bid.

It helps to check in early before all the good rooms are gone (before 6) and be really nice to the desk person at checkin.

For my last stay in Orlando, I ended up in a tower room with a sleep number bed with down comforter for $45/night. This was when the hotel was sold out and 3/4 of the hotel rooms in the older non-tower section were in badly need of renovation.

I've won over 70 Priceline rooms and only once did I get stuck in what was definately a marginal room compared to others on the property.

What hotel, if it's ok to ask? Really glad to hear this!

I've always had good luck with Priceline. After my reservation is accepted, I call the hotel and request non smoking and two beds (there are 4 of us in the family). I've never had a problem.

We have had great success with Priceline, although I have never used them for Orlando. Too many good deals out there. In April we had 2 rooms at the NYY Hilton and I requested connecting rooms for the kids vis phone and all was set. Well when we got there they were not connecting and not even next to each other and the hotel was sold out. I asked to speak w/ the mgr and plead my case about the kids. We were upgraded to a 2 b/r suite:cool1: Another time in Canada, the mgr treated all 5 of us to Easter Brunch. So as you can tell my experience has been great.

pirate: Hotels are selling there premium locations at full pice, hotels always have a percentage of rooms left unsold. They book the great rooms first, andthe rooms left are the second tier views and locations. I have got basic rooms twice in orlando that were fine. In St Louis I got the Hilton with a view of the Arch and Courthouse for $61 so it worked out for me everytime.

We've gotten quite a few end of hall second floor roof/AC unit views from Priceline rooms. The room quality hasn't been anything below expectations, though. For the lower room rate, though, it's always been worth it.

So if you can pay more you can get a nicer room at the same hotel? I don't mean suites, but reg. rooms?

to book? are there some good sites that offer great deals on offsite or Downtown Disney?

I agree with all the positive reports on Priceline. Yes, those rooms are sold at ridiculous prices because these hotels have low occupancy and need to fill the rooms.

My brother worked for a very large, 4-star chain, and admitted fully that they would, if sold out, give Priceline guests rooms that were not the most desirable. He also suggested calling soon after making a reservation to request non-smoking, as when you book through Priceline, you are not booking with the hotel directly. Priceline rooms come through at the hotel through the fax, and can sometimes sit there for hours until people notice them and enter the reservations into the hotel's system. During peak times, this could lead to some problems.

I used Priceline to book a last minute room at the Sheraton by CrossRoads (right outside DTD). I got it for $59 in July (crazy) and our room was "normal." This was an outstanding rate, and our service did not lack in the least.

I also booked with a Sheraton (seems Sheratons always accept my bids) in Toronto, and received two connecting rooms, for less than a 2-star suite hotel in the area ($79 per room per night, Canadian...a steal!). I called the morning of check in to request rooms next to each other, or at least near each other, and the front desk clerk went out of her way to give me connecting rooms. A+ service.

A lot depends on the hotel. But calling and speaking to someone at the hotel for requests (being extremely friendly during the call) and following up to confirm any requests the day before, can help ensure you have a great stay! Still, when using a service like Priceline, it's always safer to assume you're not going to get all your requests. That way, if you do, you are pleasantly surprised!

I must say that I do usually end up about as far from the elevator as I can possibly be, which I understand is typically considered a less desireable spot.

Quite the contrary! You don't want to be near the elevators - it can be very noisy and you'll have more foot traffic past your room..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter