Princess Weekend 2020

This is the first 10k course that came up the exit road and past the busses, so there was no previous instance where the busses would have been held up like that, at least for this reason. They also used mini waves again, which really spread out the starting times.
Marathon Weekend was like that too. Seems to be a 2020 change.

Does anyone know when I would need to be at Magic Kingdom to have a curb seat for cheering? Planning on Uber it from all star movies to contemporary and walking over. I’ve only ever went on the bus to Epcot then monorail, but want to skip that step this year and can’t remember what time I typically got to MK

10m characters today : John Smith, Governor Radcliffe, Meeko, thumper, Mushu, Geppetto and Pinocchio, Quasimodo and Esmeralda, Road racer Mickey, Clarice chipmunk, and Flora and Fauna.
Man it was just Esmeralda when I ran by, I definitely would have stopped if Quasimodo was there! Still kicking myself for not stopping for Meeko, but that line was loooong.

Today was my first 10k, only did the half last year. I enjoyed the 10k a lot, not as much road running as the half obviously. My one complaint is this: the walkers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fairly newbie runner and I run around a 13min pace, So I’m no speed demon. I don’t care if people walk, I just wish they would follow some race etiquette and move over! I’m talking groups of 4 to 5 people all walking side by side, especially in the spots where the course is particularly narrow. I started in coral C today, DH was in A and didn’t have as much of an issue, which is understandable. I never said a word to anyone, because I get that for some people they will do Disney races for the experience when they would never run that distance anywhere else. I might even be one of those people. But when I finished my race today, my watch showed me at almost 6 1/2 miles. I assume because I spent quite a bit of time dodging people. Mini rant over.

The weather is not
Holy cow, did anyone get the jacket? DW got one and the sizing is laughably terrible. I heard the reps at the expo telling others there were lots of complaints about them.

Three of us tried them on, and we each hadto try at least 2 sizes to find one that fit. I'm normally a small to medium and the large was perfect.

I ended up not buying the weekend jacket, but yeah, those sizes were ridiculous.

But when I finished my race today, my watch showed me at almost 6 1/2 miles. I assume because I spent quite a bit of time dodging people. Mini rant over.

You probably didn't run the tangents either. Even if the course is perfectly empty, most people would never be able to run the exact tangents used when measuring the course unless they're following something like the blue line in London.

You probably didn't run the tangents either. Even if the course is perfectly empty, most people would never be able to run the exact tangents used when measuring the course unless they're following something like the blue line in London.

Half a mile high for a 10k is about what I'd expect from a phone GPS. Running watches are usually better IME (or, at least, my Garmins have been) but they'll still be high just from GPS jitter, not running the tangents, and, yes, occasionally needing to dodge people.

Holy cow, did anyone get the jacket? DW got one and the sizing is laughably terrible. I heard the reps at the expo telling others there were lots of complaints about them.
Three of us tried them on, and we each hadto try at least 2 sizes to find one that fit. I'm normally a small to medium and the large was perfect.

I ended up not buying the weekend jacket, but yeah, those sizes were ridiculous.
I went to the expo the first day and tried on multiple sizes. I usually buy a L or XL if I want it looser, and I needed a 2XL for the fit of a L! I noticed a little pilling on the front pocket when I unpacked my purchases the next morning, so I went back to the expo after the 5K to see if I could exchange it. The largest size available was XL and there were only a few left, so I just kept mine.

I wore it Saturday, and Sunday morning there was pilling all over the jacket. I ended up returning it. I loved the design but it was so poorly made that I couldn’t justify keeping a jacket that looked so worn after one day of wear for that price. I saw a lot of people wearing older runDisney merchandise throughout the weekend; I wish they’d go back to the Champion brand merch that lasts!

Today was my first 10k, only did the half last year. I enjoyed the 10k a lot, not as much road running as the half obviously. My one complaint is this: the walkers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fairly newbie runner and I run around a 13min pace, So I’m no speed demon. I don’t care if people walk, I just wish they would follow some race etiquette and move over! I’m talking groups of 4 to 5 people all walking side by side, especially in the spots where the course is particularly narrow. I started in coral C today, DH was in A and didn’t have as much of an issue, which is understandable. I never said a word to anyone, because I get that for some people they will do Disney races for the experience when they would never run that distance anywhere else. I might even be one of those people. But when I finished my race today, my watch showed me at almost 6 1/2 miles. I assume because I spent quite a bit of time dodging people. Mini rant over.
I agree. I found myself having to walk a lot due to multiple people walking side by side throughout the narrow parts of the courses (and there were many narrow parts!). I was disappointed during one part of the 10K. A woman was yelling at people that runners only should be on the left, and basically pushing her way through people. I called out that runDisney says runners in the middle. I know it’s typically runners on the left in most races, but if people were walking on the sides, they were doing what was suggested to do! I saw so many people fall, including one woman that was very badly injured during the 10K. Maybe some of these injuries could have been prevented by a little patience and kindness.

So my first runDisney event is in the books! Traveled solo to run the half as a bucket list dream run (thanks Rachel Hollis for the inspiration of going for my dream!).

It was a bit of an up and down weekend emotionally - some mom-guilt about being away and some up and downs about traveling alone. For some reason nerves got the better of me and I could only sleep for an hour Saturday night. From 2 - 5:30 a.m. on Sunday, standing in the cold Epcot parking lot (and having to use port-a-pottys - man I hate those), I had some serious doubts about why I was there.

But then the race started, with the Fairy Godmother and fireworks sending us off, and the weather perfect for a beautiful sunrise at Magic Kingdom. I ran all the time I was on the course, and could have had a decent (for me) finish time of around 2:10 - but I didn't. I stopped to take pictures with characters and of my surroundings, I chatted with people in line, I sang and danced with Cinderella's mice, and I LOVED IT!!!

This run was everything I wanted it to be. Would I do it again? I don't know - maybe? But for now I am just so glad I DID IT!:cloud9:

Half a mile high for a 10k is about what I'd expect from a phone GPS. Running watches are usually better IME (or, at least, my Garmins have been) but they'll still be high just from GPS jitter, not running the tangents, and, yes, occasionally needing to dodge people.

I’m sure that’s true, but DH runs with a garmin and his was over by several 10ths as well. He runs, does triathlons, and has done a couple of half iron mans and has never been over before. He had the same watch last year and had a better pace time and still finished within one second of his time last year, so I think there is a little more to it than the usual. No huge deal, we aren’t looking to set new records or anything.

I’m sure that’s true, but DH runs with a garmin and his was over by several 10ths as well. He runs, does triathlons, and has done a couple of half iron mans and has never been over before. He had the same watch last year and had a better pace time and still finished within one second of his time last year, so I think there is a little more to it than the usual. No huge deal, we aren’t looking to set new records or anything.

Pace is calculated by the watch from elapsed time and distance, so if he ran further in the same amount of time then his pace is going to show as being faster. RunDisney courses are certified by the USATF using equipment far more accurate than any GPS-based systems. On a large, crowded course like RunDisney, it's virtually impossible to run perfect tangents, not to mention any time you're passing people in a crowd, you're off tangent, so additional distance should be expected. A few tenths of a mile is not atypical by any means.

This was my first half marathon and I loved it. I had to make a quick pit stop around mile 2 but I otherwise made no other stops and finished in 1:58:44 (Garmin logged about 13.3 miles). And I've got the bug, I can't wait for W&D and I'm even thinking of registering for the marathon. We'll see how my next long-ish race (DC Cherry Blossom 10-miler) goes first.

Running through MK was amazing, all the people cheering us on and exiting the castle just before dawn is something I won't soon forget. That last 5k was a slog and wasn't really helped by having no Epcot views until around the last mile, but I understand construction makes it tough.

So happy I did this! Wish I would have bought an I Did It Challenge t-shirt, but I didn't want to jinx it and post-race I was done and headed straight for the bus.

Our family 1st rundisney event (my 2nd) was a great success, even with that nasty morning of the 5K.
We got really lucky in that I didn't set the alarm properly- if I had, we'd have been there in that rain even earlier.

As it was, I was woken by my wife at 0330 saying "aren't we supposed to be getting ready?" LOL.... Talk about a mad scramble!! We rushed out of the room only to find the busses were bypassing our stop and there was a mob of people waiting.

We were not prepared for the rain/cold since we dashed out of the room in a panic...

My 20 y/o daughter had dressed as Moana and darn near froze to death but for the kindness of a complete stranger who gave her the jacket off her back.

If that lovely lady is here, please message me. I am in your debt and I want everyone to know what a selfless thing you did for a freezing girl.

I just wish they would follow some race etiquette and move over! I’m talking groups of 4 to 5 people all walking side by side, especially in the spots where the course is particularly narrow

Having been there done that, you have no idea what co dictions they were just dealing with that caused them to be side by side. You likely have little idea of if they were all together (since you’re coming up on them quickly). And...which etiquette to follow? On the right? On the left? (I’ve been at a race where “runners pass on the RIGHT” was the rule) Simply on the side?

Races when you’re not in elite corrals are difficult things, with interval people moving back and forth as they transition, and sometimes encountering others who are transitioning, and runners who are being erratic (something I’ve encountered FAR more than the actually-purposely-rude walkers). I’ve been stuck in conditions that cause ME to look like the jerk, when it’s been a series of events that got me to where I am but I’m desperate to move over.

I called out that runDisney says runners in the middle.

Where does it say that? I haven’t seen mention of it in rundisney info for a few years.

And before that, it said runners on the left, and I promise you runners didn’t follow that even when walkers were. (TOT 10 miler 2013 it said that, and I was nearly smashed while walking as far to the right on the path as was possible in the trail to wwos by a reckless runner going through the grass on my right)

Carissa (?) usually makes some halfhearted announcement of some sort like it well into the corrals being released for one of the races, but there’s nothing I’ve seen in the official info for a couple years. And if they don’t write it, we have no place saying they do.

While my 5k finish was 2 minutes faster than any of my previous princess 5ks, the half was as close to a DNF as I’ve ever gotten and ever care to get.

Was a long series of issues (from wearing my almost see-through running socks that morning, to stuff going back almost two years, and everywhere in between) stemming from choices I made, I flat out walked over half of it, which was utterly miserable because I truly cannot stand walking, but I had no choice.

At mile 9 I really wanted to give up. At 12 I gave myself permission. But then it was only another mile-ish... However, I sure was hoping that one of the medics I saw watching the crowd would see that I was in a bad place and would make my decision for me!

I have the Seattle hot chocolate 15k next weekend, but if I start I’ll likely have a DNF unless I can convince my son to stick with me and help me walk briskly-enough.

After that, I’m not signing up for anything until I can get my feet figured out, at the very least.

I don’t care if people walk, I just wish they would follow some race etiquette and move over! I’m talking groups of 4 to 5 people all walking side by side, especially in the spots where the course is particularly narrow.
I agree completely, although I've decided that if I am going to continue to run at Disney (and I am) then I'm just going to have to put up with it. I run about 10 non-Disney races a year (250-15,000 runners) and runDisney runners have by far the worst etiquette / common sense. I think there are many factors, some the runners "fault" and some due to runDisney and the course. I've never run a Disney 5K, but the Disney 10Ks were worse the the HMs and the HMs were worse than the Marathon. Why is it so bad? In no particular order:
  • There seems to be a higher percentage of new runners who have no concept or experience in in how to run with others.
  • There are more walkers (not necessarily more run/walk interval runners).
  • The course is narrow in places and has more sharp turns than many other races.
  • People stop for photos thus mixing faster/slower people.
  • Even with POTs, the pace of most corrals behind perhaps A and B is erratic. In the later corrals, the word is out to lie about your projected pace and move as close as possible to the front to allow more time for photos. You also have faster runners who do not submit POTs in later corrals.
  • Perhaps due to the cost, there is a sense of entitlement by many people. They feel for what they paid, they can do anything they want.
  • RunDisney does not clearly explain in writing or in announcements what "lanes" runners and walkers should use.
  • There seems to be more groups of walkers and runners. Other races seem to have more individuals with perhaps a family member or two cheering from the sidelines.
  • There seems to be more people who have a "fun run" mentality; absolutely nothing wrong with that, but frustrating to runners behind them trying for their best time.
The Marathon "Goof Troupe" showed that groups of runners can start in an early corral, stop often for photos and shenanigans, and still not get in the way of anyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter