Princess Weekend 2021

For my 5k training I am doing a C25K plan. I'm interested in transitioning to the Jeff Galloway plan once I start training for the 10K. I am very confused reading his method and also about how to pick up from the 5K training straight into the 10K training. Any cheat sheet, tips, advice?

Is there something specific that you find confusing? I can try and help answer your questions.

Before I start to explore booking Princess through a TA, I want to know if park tickets HAVE to be part of the package. Anyone know? Thanks!

No, park tickets are not required. You just need to book a minimum 2 night stay at a resort. You’ll pay the $200 deposit (since it’s considered a package) along with cost of bibs.

Has anyone ever used magic bound travel agent for races? Looking into going that route for princess but wanted to make sure they are legit.

Has anyone ever used magic bound travel agent for races? Looking into going that route for princess but wanted to make sure they are legit.
I didn't reach out to them, but I reached out to another TA and was told runDisney packages are sold out for agencies. Is this true across the board or did he mean just his agency? (not sure how that works). Thanks!

Is there something specific that you find confusing? I can try and help answer your questions.
Sure! I am most confused about pacing and then figuring how the walk/run timing.

For example, on Saturday, my work out was: 5 minute run, 2 minute walk - 5 times. I also did a 5 minute walking warm up. My stats were:

40 minutes
2.9 miles
13'50/mi

What does this mean in relation to how I'd move on to the 10k walk/run method??? Or do I need to get to my 5k stats first?

I'm hoping this makes sense!

I didn't reach out to them, but I reached out to another TA and was told runDisney packages are sold out for agencies. Is this true across the board or did he mean just his agency? (not sure how that works). Thanks!
already sold out for 2021?

just the travel agency packages. but again....not sure 100% what he meant. he stressed that the race itself is not sold out, just the ability to secure a bib through the travel agency deal.
hmmm ive been talking with magic bound and she never mentioned that.

Sure! I am most confused about pacing and then figuring how the walk/run timing.

For example, on Saturday, my work out was: 5 minute run, 2 minute walk - 5 times. I also did a 5 minute walking warm up. My stats were:

40 minutes
2.9 miles
13'50/mi

What does this mean in relation to how I'd move on to the 10k walk/run method??? Or do I need to get to my 5k stats first?

I'm hoping this makes sense!

So I just read through the Galloway 10k plan on runDisney and can definitely see why it is confusing. So in general to determine optimal training paces you use something called a "race equivalency" calculation. It's a calculation that says "if you can run distance1 in X time, then you can distance2 in Z time." So for your purpose you can use either your:

1) 5k result that's upcoming
2) Magic Mile (where you run a mile at about 95% full effort) after a warmup and cool down
3) The 800T as described in the instructions found on the plan. The 800T involved running at a pace where there is calm breathing and no huffing and puffing for 800m (roughly 1/2 mile). Then doubling that time + either 3 min with no huff/puff or 4 min with huff/puff. This will give you your weekend long run average pace.

If you use the 5k or MM result, then punch the value into a race equivalency calculator (like the one on Galloway's website here: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/) and it will convert to tell you your goal weekend long run average pace. It will take a bit of back calculating to use the 5k result.

Alternatively, you can just tell me the value for 1, 2, or 3 and I can do the math for you.

Once you have your goal weekend long run pace (which is usually 2 min/mile slower than M Tempo), then it's necessary to hone in on the run/walk intervals. In general, Galloway recommends a 30 second walk interval for most all fitness levels. I go a little more in-depth here talking about the thought process behind the 30 second walking interval.

Some science for run/walk methodology

Boiled down, I believe Galloway has found that the 30 second walk break works optimally because it forces the runner to slow down the run portion of their run/walk. By slowing down the run pace, it better manages keeping fatigue at bay. On the Galloway calc page you can see some suggested starting points for run/walk intervals based on what your weekend long run pace is. It's important to note that this easy/long run pace (weekend pace) should feel very easy. It's not a matter of whether you can go faster than this, you certainly can. But the key to endurance training is "Train slow to race fast". It's completely counterintuitive, but there's lots of science behind why the methodology works. Alternatively, if you do a "PR the day" type pacing you'll find some gains, but you'll stunt your overall improvement.

I've personally developed another calculator that supplements the Galloway equation. Going one step further and attempting to optimize run/walk pacing for each individual person. I combine the Galloway method with the Jack Daniels' teachings on physiological responses to running. Here's an example:

Let's assume the 13:50 min/mile pace you recently did on your 2.9 mile run was indeed close to a 5k PR pace. Not saying it is, but for the sake of example. With good training this is what that same person would be capable of at different distances (race equivalency calculation):

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 6.44.22 AM.png

Then, these race paces suggest the following training paces:

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 6.44.32 AM.png

The key to determining the run/walk pacing for this calculator is determining your walking pace. So I typically suggest people just go and comfortably walk outside for 0.5-1 miles. Practically no effort and not a brisk walk. I use that value as the walk pace. Then the calculator spits out suggested run/walk ratios and goal run paces. So for this person above, their suggested Easy/LR pace is a 17:44 min/mile average. It's based on a 15:44 min/mile marathon tempo + 2 minutes. So this person would do a 30/30 at 17:09 min/mile run pace and 18:20 min/mile walk pace. It then has different suggestions of run/walk pacing and ratios for other racing distances or training paces.

Hope that helps and let me know if you've got more questions. I know this is fairly dense, so I can explain anything more.

Yikes Wine & Dine sure sold out fast. I know it was an anniversary but sheesh we'd better reserve the registration date in our calendars.

So I just read through the Galloway 10k plan on runDisney and can definitely see why it is confusing. So in general to determine optimal training paces you use something called a "race equivalency" calculation. It's a calculation that says "if you can run distance1 in X time, then you can distance2 in Z time." So for your purpose you can use either your:

1) 5k result that's upcoming
2) Magic Mile (where you run a mile at about 95% full effort) after a warmup and cool down
3) The 800T as described in the instructions found on the plan. The 800T involved running at a pace where there is calm breathing and no huffing and puffing for 800m (roughly 1/2 mile). Then doubling that time + either 3 min with no huff/puff or 4 min with huff/puff. This will give you your weekend long run average pace.

If you use the 5k or MM result, then punch the value into a race equivalency calculator (like the one on Galloway's website here: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/) and it will convert to tell you your goal weekend long run average pace. It will take a bit of back calculating to use the 5k result.

Alternatively, you can just tell me the value for 1, 2, or 3 and I can do the math for you.

Once you have your goal weekend long run pace (which is usually 2 min/mile slower than M Tempo), then it's necessary to hone in on the run/walk intervals. In general, Galloway recommends a 30 second walk interval for most all fitness levels. I go a little more in-depth here talking about the thought process behind the 30 second walking interval.

Some science for run/walk methodology

Boiled down, I believe Galloway has found that the 30 second walk break works optimally because it forces the runner to slow down the run portion of their run/walk. By slowing down the run pace, it better manages keeping fatigue at bay. On the Galloway calc page you can see some suggested starting points for run/walk intervals based on what your weekend long run pace is. It's important to note that this easy/long run pace (weekend pace) should feel very easy. It's not a matter of whether you can go faster than this, you certainly can. But the key to endurance training is "Train slow to race fast". It's completely counterintuitive, but there's lots of science behind why the methodology works. Alternatively, if you do a "PR the day" type pacing you'll find some gains, but you'll stunt your overall improvement.

I've personally developed another calculator that supplements the Galloway equation. Going one step further and attempting to optimize run/walk pacing for each individual person. I combine the Galloway method with the Jack Daniels' teachings on physiological responses to running. Here's an example:

Let's assume the 13:50 min/mile pace you recently did on your 2.9 mile run was indeed close to a 5k PR pace. Not saying it is, but for the sake of example. With good training this is what that same person would be capable of at different distances (race equivalency calculation):

View attachment 480023

Then, these race paces suggest the following training paces:

View attachment 480024

The key to determining the run/walk pacing for this calculator is determining your walking pace. So I typically suggest people just go and comfortably walk outside for 0.5-1 miles. Practically no effort and not a brisk walk. I use that value as the walk pace. Then the calculator spits out suggested run/walk ratios and goal run paces. So for this person above, their suggested Easy/LR pace is a 17:44 min/mile average. It's based on a 15:44 min/mile marathon tempo + 2 minutes. So this person would do a 30/30 at 17:09 min/mile run pace and 18:20 min/mile walk pace. It then has different suggestions of run/walk pacing and ratios for other racing distances or training paces.

Hope that helps and let me know if you've got more questions. I know this is fairly dense, so I can explain anything more.
AMAZING! I will take some time to process this all and re-take a look once I have that 5K timing down! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes Wine & Dine sure sold out fast. I know it was an anniversary but sheesh we'd better reserve the registration date in our calendars.

This year was the perfect storm of Anniversary Year + Villains Theme + Race Timing (end of Jersey Week). I'm hoping that registration won't be quite as crazy for Princess, but who knows. I'll definitely make sure I'm ready the second it opens to try to get what I need.

This year was the perfect storm of Anniversary Year + Villains Theme + Race Timing (end of Jersey Week). I'm hoping that registration won't be quite as crazy for Princess, but who knows. I'll definitely make sure I'm ready the second it opens to try to get what I need.
What time would you expect it to start on June 9?

If you're planning to stay on property for Princess, you could call runDisney during Star Wars race weekend to book your room and registration (you can add tickets and dining, too). It's so easy and you're pre-registered for the race. Once registration opens up in June, you're sent a link that bypasses the main link and you can officially register with ease. If you go this route, I would recommend calling on Thursday morning since I believe the phone hold times get longer throughout the weekend. We did that for the 2019 race and it was great! We already made our room reservation and race registration for 2021 during the Princess weekend last month. The only question would be how they manage this if Star Wars weekend gets postponed or cancelled.

Last edited:
If you're planning to stay on property for Princess, you could call runDisney during Star Wars race weekend to book your room and registration (you can add tickets and dining, too). It's so easy and you're pre-registered for the race. Once registration opens up in June, you're sent a link that bypasses the main link and you can officially register with ease. If you go this route, I would recommend calling on Thursday morning since I believe the phone hold times get longer throughout the weekend. We did that for the 2019 race and it was great! We already made our room reservation and race registration for 2020 during the Princess weekend last month. The only question would be how they manage this if Star Wars weekend gets postponed or cancelled.
:scratchin

Working/school from home...need a break! Exciting news is that we booked our hotel today for Princess Weekend! Bad news is that the 5K I was training for just got cancelled. Not going to let that stop my training - I'm on day 3 of Week 6 of C25K! Guess another benefit of being home is that I'm not spending my afternoons driving the kids all over the universe for their activities and can fit in runs whenever!

Well, with Star Wars Cancelled and having banked AKL points from 2019 into 2020 use year - we're now booked in a 1 Bedroom Value at AKV for this weekend. Guess at least my husband is running it and maybe I will too.

Now to figure out what Princess my husband will be next year...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter