Problems with Family and DVC

I guess this points out another benefit of always staying in the Grand Villa. They are difficult to reserve. I make the reservation first and then do the invites. I give people two or three weeks to decide if my dates are good, then if people can't go, ask someone else.

As far as the taking kids out of school, I have been pulling my daughter out for two weeks every year. When we started homeschooling last year, I wrote myself a note, gave myself the requisite hard time and pulled her out despite my objections.

Originally posted by Richyams
When we started homeschooling last year, I wrote myself a note, gave myself the requisite hard time and pulled her out despite my objections.
LOL :D

They have alot of chutzpah telling you when to use your points, if it was me, I'd tell them, look you're getting accomodations worth a thousand dollars which I'm paying for, this is the only time I can afford to go, if you can't with us, I'm sorry.

I can't imagine that California or our school district is the only one that does this, but has anyone heard of "Independent Contract"? We've always taken our children out of school for 1 or 2 weeks (4th grade/7th grade this year - both honor roll students). The schools are very flexible and positive when they hear of our trips. We let them know at the beginning of the school year for our big trip and then remind them a month prior. If we take an "extra", we let them know asap - usually a month's notice, too. They provide us with a packet of work and a homework list and it's agreed they will make-up tests when they return at the teacher's discretion (time-wise). As far as the work goes, I have to admit I cheat sometimes because there is just too much to do on a WDW vacation. Most of the work gets done on the plane there and back (about 30% done by me - shameful, huh?) If I were giving someone a free trip (my family or my hubby's included), they will go when I say they go otherwise I'd move down the list. They should be appreciative that they were on the top of the list. Don't lose sleep and definitely have your hubby read these posts (and BIL, too, if he's got the nerve).

Maybe he could JUST SAY NO??

Puh-leeze!!!

The gift was very generous.... or should they have offered to pay all the airfare and meals too? Would that have made it a gift he could accept?!

School is important, but we are talkinging about BABIES here! Four and SIX! Do you thimk it'll hold them back in Physics class..... in 12 years?

FAMILY is the most important... so, sorry MarshallMoore6... YOU are wrong.

I'm not sure why he can't find a time during your offered period. My kids get out for almost a whole week the third week of October, Thanksgiving week, and 2 full weeks for Christmas. Why could they not pick something like this?

I think your BIL is being very unfair. You offered him a wonderful gift. If he couldn't go within the time you designated, he should have voiced his gratitude for the offer, but declined. It's pretty selfish to ask you to change your plans when you're the owners and you gave him several months to chose. What will the trip be like? Will he dictate when and where you will go and what you will eat? Maybe you could make him understand better, if you let him know the cash value of the size of your accommodations for the period he is asking and the period you are offering. Also, maybe if you gently explain to your husband that by changing, it will cost you so much more in points and that although you really are looking forward to taking his brother and your nephews, you really want to have some special time for just the two of you and if you go in March, you will have to lose that special time. We go twice a year for about ten days each time. One time is for family and one time is just for us. We pick the time and when we invite anyone, we tell them when we are going and if they can join us. Since 1993, noone has ever said that they couldn't make the time that we picked. The only unfortunate incident I have had is having a couple invite themselves along on one of the trips when we had already invited another couple. It happened once and believe me we learned a lesson and it has never happened again. Remember you have worked hard for this and it's for you and your husband. Share it when you chose to share it. Do not allow yourself to feel guilty. You are being wonderful by the fact that you have and are planning trips to include others. Don't let it ruin the future trips for you and your husband. Good Luck!

You know, after thinking about this again, and reading some of the other replies, a thought occurred to me. I think the problem may have stemmed from the flexibility of the offer. If you had said "we're going in October, and you're welcome to join us" he would have probably said, "oh, we can't because the kids are in school then." But since you gave him some choices he figured he might as well push for the mile since you're giving him the inch. Still doesn't make his pushiness right, but I bet that explains it. Heaven protect us from in-laws, huh!? ;)

I have to say that DVCajun is absolutely right. We were being absolutely TOO generous with allowing them to pick the date of six months time. I totally regret wording it that way. I should have just said..."we are going the week of...in 2003. If you want to join us you are more than welcome. The room's on us".

Stupid me. I could kick myself now. Ugggggggggghhhh.

The problem isn't so much my BIL as it is now my DH. If I make too much of a fuss, it will start to cause problems between us. I definitely don't want to do that.

The good news is that my DH mentioned to 2 of his friends last weekend that it looks like Chris (my BIL) is going to bail out on us (because of his pickiness in the date). So because of this he asked his friend and his wife if they would want to come the next time we go. He said he'd love to have them. (I would LOVE to have them too)

So I don't even know what's really going on now with this. All I know for a fact is I'm going in 42 days with Mom, Dad and DH. And again next October for a week with DH. Those are definite plans. I guess we'll just wait to see what ends up happening with the unappreciative BIL.

Thanks again everybody I've really enjoyed reading all of your comments. I appreciate your input.

:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter