Pros and Cons of bringing a backpack

Some posters are becoming very defensive.
I think we can all agree that if you need it then bring it but at the same time there really are those that seem to bring everything and the kitchen sink as though they are prepared for a backpacking trek vs a day in a theme park.
Not sure why anyone has to poke fun at them, though. If a person is so sleek as to not carry anything, then they should be in the bag-free line and never see or be held up by those people anyway.

Not sure why anyone has to poke fun at them, though. If a person is so sleek as to not carry anything, then they should be in the bag-free line and never see or be held up by those people anyway.

The poster did not direct anything at anyone else on this thread.
Just mad e a general opinion.
Other posters quoted that poster as though it was directed at them.
Again like I said I think we can all agree that if you need it take it.
That poster was not talking about people that need it they were talking about the kitchen sink mountain trekers I mentioned.
Also that poster did not say they go bag free.... but rather that they don't take the kitchen sink.

I don’t think I could go bag free. I just need too much stuff, water, sunblock, lip balm, tissues, phone, wallet, mini umbrella, baby wipes, ziploc bags, and some extras for the kids. I carry this stuff almost every day so I doubt I could live without it for a long day in a theme park.

We stopped carrying a backpack once we didn't have to carry diapers.

Each kid carries their own small bag and I downgraded to a small cross body bag. Between that and losing the stroller, it was liberating!!!

While we have tons of string bags hanging around, I don't like using them at WDW because the thin strings aren't comfortable long term.
I agree those hurt. I use a Herschel mini backpack. Small and no pain!

I used to use a crossbody, but I’ve been going in cooler months and like to be able to throw a sweater in my bag!

I always want to go with no bag but I have yet to try... my last couple trips to Disneyland I have used a small cross body back pack. I found it more comfortable than my cross body purse I was using before. I could carry a water in it, plus some sun screen, phone charging cord extra battery and any little items I might needs plus a small change wallet with some cash and id...

While we have tons of string bags hanging around, I don't like using them at WDW because the thin strings aren't comfortable long term.

True, I wouldn't use a string backpack if you're carrying more than a pound or so. My Nike one has pretty comfy straps that are kind of springy, but it's still not designed to carry more than a small number of things.

Thanks for the opinions. I just used amazon prime and bought the Nike string one with a zipper compartment. For waters and sunscreen and maybe couple light snacks! Thanks. I’m scared to go completely bag free.

I always carry a small backpack for the family. Sunscreen, water, portable charger, ponchos etc. It goes on every ride and I rarely spend more than a couple of minutes getting through security.

Thanks for the opinions. I just used amazon prime and bought the Nike string one with a zipper compartment. For waters and sunscreen and maybe couple light snacks! Thanks. I’m scared to go completely bag free.
I would not recommend a drawstring with thin string straps if you are carrying water. As mentioned by a few people those things hurt!

The poster did not direct anything at anyone else on this thread.
Just mad e a general opinion.
Other posters quoted that poster as though it was directed at them.
Again like I said I think we can all agree that if you need it take it.
That poster was not talking about people that need it they were talking about the kitchen sink mountain trekers I mentioned.
Also that poster did not say they go bag free.... but rather that they don't take the kitchen sink.
And my point is peiple can decide for themselves what they need. Nobody has any idea why people are carrying what they do, and it's really none of anyone else's business. (They could need to save money on food, or need a change of clothes in case of an accident, or need all sorts of things they don't want to discuss.) Unless they are whacking you in line with their giant bag (we've all been there), no need in making fun of them. If they didn't think they needed it, they wouldn't be schlepping it around.

And my point is peiple can decide for themselves what they need. Nobody has any idea why people are carrying what they do, and it's really none of anyone else's business. (They could need to save money on food, or need a change of clothes in case of an accident, or need all sorts of things they don't want to discuss.) Unless they are whacking you in line with their giant bag (we've all been there), no need in making fun of them. If they didn't think they needed it, they wouldn't be schlepping it around.
It's my business when the person in front of me has 5 glass water bottles and several other prohibited items that they start arguing about having to do something with because they can't bring it in. Yep it's happened.
Also sometimes people only think they need certain items and come to realize after a week of shcleping they didnt.
Once again my point is don't attack someone that was not directing their post at you and if you need it being it.
Thanks.

We have NEVER taken a backpack or day bag through the parks and I don't understand why people do. Do you have that much stuff that you have to carry around????

First, it is just my wife and I so I guess I understand a little if you have kids as you have to carry their things.

I Have cargo shorts so I can my phone in one pocket and a portable wallet (the wallet insert) with credit cards and spare money (only if needed) in another pocket. That still leaves two other pockets to store my sunglasses and my wife's sunglasses for when it gets dark. My wife usually carries one (1) tube of lip balm. That is ALL we carry to the parks and that is all we need.

Some posters are becoming very defensive.
I think we can all agree that if you need it then bring it but at the same time there really are those that seem to bring everything and the kitchen sink as though they are prepared for a backpacking trek vs a day in a theme park.

It doesn't make any difference to me what other people bring into the park, as long as it follows Disney's guidelines.

We have NEVER taken a backpack or day bag through the parks and I don't understand why people do. Do you have that much stuff that you have to carry around????

First, it is just my wife and I so I guess I understand a little if you have kids as you have to carry their things.

I Have cargo shorts so I can my phone in one pocket and a portable wallet (the wallet insert) with credit cards and spare money (only if needed) in another pocket. That still leaves two other pockets to store my sunglasses and my wife's sunglasses for when it gets dark. My wife usually carries one (1) tube of lip balm. That is ALL we carry to the parks and that is all we need.

Yes, I agree completely. I used to use one of those neck bags on a string; just about 2 inches by 4 inches for my glasses, cash, one CC. Now that my husband wears cargo pants, he carries our glasses, a few ibuprofen in a small plastic bag, our daily pills in a small plastic bag (think one of those bags that extra buttons come in:), his wallet, and that's it. No phone to bother with. We are probably the exception with what we don't carry and with no phone though?
I understand families carrying lots of things they need, but at our age we don't need that much. I do get tired of getting hit with huge backpacks while waiting in line. I wish people would pay attention to those behind them when they are swinging those things around, that's all. But I understand the need for one when you have little children or babies.

Yes, I agree completely. I used to use one of those neck bags on a string; just about 2 inches by 4 inches for my glasses, cash, one CC. Now that my husband wears cargo pants, he carries our glasses, a few ibuprofen in a small plastic bag, our daily pills in a small plastic bag (think one of those bags that extra buttons come in:), his wallet, and that's it. No phone to bother with. We are probably the exception with what we don't carry and with no phone though?
I understand families carrying lots of things they need, but at our age we don't need that much. I do get tired of getting hit with huge backpacks while waiting in line. I wish people would pay attention to those behind them when they are swinging those things around, that's all. But I understand the need for one when you have little children or babies.
I have to carry a phone as a small business over and have to be reachable 24-7. Plus, my phone has a really good camera.

To the men that wear cargo shorts as a woman can I just say that is not an option for us.
I have never been able to find actual cargo shorts for women. I don't call tiny pockets that don't zip or velcro and just have the look of cargo pockets useful.
Also I've gone as far as buying menus but the extra crotch space chafs me.
Also your wives would be carrying a bag of it weren't for you.
I dont have a husband so I bring a small crossbody for my phone, charger, coin pouch that I use as a wallet for Disney, tiny tube of Advil, and a chapstick.

I always carry a backpack. My main reason for doing so is that we usually go in February and if we are going to be in the parks until after dark, which most of the time we are, we have jackets or pullovers in the backpack. Too hot during the day to wear a jacket. I keep my money clip and sunscreen in there as well. After dark, we all throw our sunglasses in. So yeah.....I guess I do have the much stuff to carry around. :)

We decided on our last trip this past April to do whatever we can to get through the bagless line. My husband and I each carried a folded up string bag through the no bag line. I put whatever I could in my pockets. My husband stuffed the rest in his cargo shorts. Once inside the park, we redistributed the items. The four of us would take turns carrying the two string bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter