PTParaD TRs and Shenanigans

After the beach shot yesterday, we biked back to the CG for a brat lunch. The kids of course went and played some more with the CG scrum. I made philly cheesteaks on the Blackstone.

After dinner the kids begged us to go back to the beach, so back on the bikes we went. The beach was still jumping at 7. The kids swam until the sun dropped behind the horizon. We came back to the CG and they played into the dark with all the kids again. A bunch of the kids have lights on their bikes, hoverboards, etc. It almost looks like the Electric Water Pageant ripping through the campground...except the boats are lost and going in different directions.
=======
Today we're just sitting the rig so far. The wind is really ripping <insert Kansas jokes here>. It's supposed to get up to 20 mph sustained with 40 mph gusts.
source.gif

Not really great outdoor weather. We have to run to town to get some fuel for the ride home. Maybe we can into some trouble somewhere. For now, we're enjoying a slow morning on the couch watching OTA TV reruns.

The wind was relentless until about 6 pm. We stayed low until then.

We made pizza for lunch.

Pepperoni, sausage, peppers, onions, and mushrooms. It was quite tasty. We cheated a bit using a premade crust, but not bad for trailer eating.

For dinner, we just ran into town. I needed diesel and we didn't feel like cooking again. After dinner we hit the swim beach again.

When the sun went down we headed for home. We lit a fire and the kids made smores while I watched the NASCAR race.

Now we're settled into bed and the party is still rocking for some folks evidently. The wind is kicking up, so maybe that'll scare some of these folks inside and to bed. Heading home tomorrow. This trip was a nice escape from the grind.

We made it home right at noon. The rig is in the driveway emptied and the inside is clean. I'm going to wait for the sun to go down some and it's going to get a pressure wash that it's needed for a month. I've also noticed evidence of unwanted passengers. So it's off to Home Depot for expanding foam and other tools of the trade to try to lock down the perimeter.

Thanks for reading on this trip. We had fun and Hillsdale SP is on our short list for a weekend getaway now. Next time we might try to rent a boat and spend some time on the water. Hope you all had a good long weekend too.

Ahhh, one of the best videos that pops up in my fb memories. This was from our last WDW trip, pre-camper, 5 years ago. We drove from our house (in Memphis at the time) with an overnight in AL and then to WDW. They didn't know we were going to WDW until the first welcome sign arch came into view. Such a fun reaction.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HjaabWjeiAf43Dbp9

Ahhh, one of the best videos that pops up in my fb memories. This was from our last WDW trip, pre-camper, 5 years ago. We drove from our house (in Memphis at the time) with an overnight in AL and then to WDW. They didn't know we were going to WDW until the first welcome sign arch came into view. Such a fun reaction.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HjaabWjeiAf43Dbp9
That was pretty awesome!!

Out for the weekend at Hillsdale SP again. Weather was a great fall day yesterday, but the weather dude's forecast for the wind was spot on. 15-25mph sustained winds with 50 mph gusts. We've huddled inside and enjoyed some quiet time.View attachment 532863

It's a beautiful night at the Fort right now at sunset, PTP, in site 1122. About 80F, breezy, low humidity, and I'm outside watching college football before heading home tomorrow.

Maybe you and the family could break out a small 500-piece puzzle to work on? :rolleyes1

Those are memories you'll laugh about in a few years. :grouphug:

Bama Ed

Whoa. Weather is completely on it's ear. We woke up this morning to 15-20mph winds and temps in the 40s. Weather dude said the high was at midnight this morning...🥶

I didn't snap any pics when I was outside because everything was dedicated to break down and hook up. We were efficient though. It's 2pm now and I'm settled into the easy chair watching the Cup race. Only thing left is to blow out the trailer's lines tomorrow when it's in the 50s.

I have to take the rig in for a punch list of warranty work that has built up of the first season camping in it. I'm not looking forward to that rise in blood pressure over the next few weeks. I'm sure it's going to be fun explaining everything and then getting it back in time for a trip planned for a wedding before Thanksgiving. Positive thoughts...positive thoughts...

Few more shots from the weekend
The kids out running around in the open field. They've been honing their football and frisbee skills. They are becoming half decent catch partners.

All setup for cooking, looking south towards the lake

DD pretty happy with her "hobo dinner". We've done them dozens of times, but this time was the best ever, evidently.

Nice sunset on FRI night

Even nicer sunset SAT night

The trailer is in for warranty work for about a month now. Got the call today that they finally got all the parts in to begin work, but it's still a few weeks away from being done. I had a pipe dream that we could find somewhere close to duck off to after Thanksgiving, but those dreams are drying up.

Anyone going camping or some place fun during Thanksgiving or the next few weeks?

PTP,

No camping for me until January when I pull down to NC to spend a month visiting friends while we work "remotely". We are in the Virgin Islands right now and have a long weekend in Charleston, SC before Christmas.

I wish it was still camping season at home though. I winterized a few weeks ago, although this week back home would have been great. Temps 40-65.

j

I've been down at the beach for a few days, Jack, and we are heading home tomorrow.

Late October to mid November is the time we take a second camping trip of the year down to Gulf Shores in LA (Lower Alabama). I had to juggle the dates for this trip to accommodate the recovery work that Gulf State Park here is doing after two recent fall hurricane swipes. The weather has been high about 72F, low about 50F and an absolutely AWESOME zero percent chance of rain while we've been here. Snowbirds are starting to migrate south, though, but still LOTS of empty sites. Great time to be here.

We did Lulu's on Monday, Pink Pony Pub on Tuesday, Original Oyster House today (all on the cheaper lunch menu).

20201117_122449.jpg

This being retired "thing" is rough business, man, but I'll do it and take one for the team. :rotfl2:I think this is our last trip of the season too.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
No camping for me until January when I pull down to NC to spend a month visiting friends while we work "remotely". We are in the Virgin Islands right now and have a long weekend in Charleston, SC before Christmas.

I wish it was still camping season at home though. I winterized a few weeks ago, although this week back home would have been great. Temps 40-65.
Nice. I could figure out how to enjoy the Virgin Islands. I don't mind camping in the winter, but you are right. It's prime fall camping right now in the Midwest.

I've been down at the beach for a few days, Jack, and we are heading home tomorrow.

Late October to mid November is the time we take a second camping trip of the year down to Gulf Shores in LA (Lower Alabama). I had to juggle the dates for this trip to accommodate the recovery work that Gulf State Park here is doing after two recent fall hurricane swipes. The weather has been high about 72F, low about 50F and an absolutely AWESOME zero percent chance of rain while we've been here. Snowbirds are starting to migrate south, though, but still LOTS of empty sites. Great time to be here.

We did Lulu's on Monday, Pink Pony Pub on Tuesday, Original Oyster House today (all on the cheaper lunch menu).

What, no TR?! 😄

I have 15-20 more years of working, but I'm not going to lie that I'll enjoy the heck out of retirement. Can't wait until I can say this every day:

What, no TR?! 😄

I have 15-20 more years of working, but I'm not going to lie that I'll enjoy the heck out of retirement. Can't wait until I can say this every day:
View attachment 539174

No TR, this was a me-and-DW trip only. And I won't hose your thread with any more pix. I was just saying that we were done for the season now like you were done now (and getting the warranty work done). But I already have (too many) camping plans/reservations for April-July 2021.

Bama Ed

PS - although if there was a nice weather/warm streak around New Years, I could take off for the public campground on Dauphin Island with the tv and satellite dish in my canvas tent and cot (just for the sake of variety). I'm sure DW would LOVE that idea. :sad2:

Last edited:
No TR, this was a me-and-DW trip only. And I won't hose your thread with any more pix. I was just saying that we were done for the season now like you were done now (and getting the warranty work done). But I already have (too many) camping plans/reservations for April-July 2021.

It is impossible to hose a thread that has shenanigans in the title.

In my mind, my season isn't done. DW might think it's done though, but that won't stop me from trying to book trips. It's camping weather in my book as long as winter road conditions allow for dragging the trailer down the road.

My eyes shot open at 315 this morning. No getting back to bed after laying there for 2 hours. At least I turned an early morning into something productive...

A run to the Donut Palace.

DD, DS, and DW all go for the glazed twists. They are over a foot long and always warm.

I opted for the bacon, egg, and cheese croissant and jalapeno kolache.

Now that all of that's in the belly, maybe it's time for a nap 🤔

==========
Edit: I did fall asleep in the after I posted. I woke up with my 8yr old DS staring at me with a half eaten donut asking me why I slept in the chair all night 😄

Last edited:
Christmas came a little early to Kansas.

I grew up in the sticks and had 3 wheelers, a golf cart, and all other kinds of things to get me in trouble as a kid. We just moved out to the county and the kids aren't quite ready for a 4 wheeler, but a go kart...now that's what I'm talking about.

I was eyeing a kart on TSC and I pulled it up by chance and saw it was on sale, 300 off. We ordered it without hesitation. It said ship to store or home only, so I figured it would take at least a week or two for it to get in. I got the text notification that my order was received and that the order was ready to pick up about 3 seconds from each other.

When I loaded it at the store, I knew we were going to get made by a wandering kid (it's hanging out of the bed because I have my 5th wheel hitch in. I made a poor assumption it'd fit without pulling the hitch). We also found out Friday that the kids are going virtual until after New Years. They were pretty bummed, so it was a no brainer to give it to them a little early.

So we did a little scavenger hunt for them to find the mystery gift on Saturday. They were over the moon. It took about 2 hours to assemble and they were off.

Putting together the roll cage. Looking at this shot, maybe need to spend some of these cold days cleaning the shop instead of camping 🤔

They rode it until it was dark. They've been non-stop on their free time bombing around.

It was a "feel good" weekend in the midst of the bologna of COVID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter