PTR - November 2017 - 1st trip to Disneyland!

In regards to telling your kids, what we did last year was for Christmas 2015, we had a huge box and I got a Mickey helium balloon wrapped up in it. On the string, I tied a note saying "We're Going To Disneyland!" on it. When they opened the box, the balloon popped up. DSS (14 at the time) got it right away and almost cried, but DD (4 at the time) played with the balloon and didn't care about anything else. :rotfl2:

LOL. Yeah neither of my kids can read so it will definitely need to be something visual!
I'm thinking new Disney suitcases filled with Disney trip related stuff...and I'll just pick some random day about a month before to give them :P. That's as good as I've come up with so far!

RE: Air Miles - you know that the 25% off for Canadian residents applies on Air Miles too, right? You have about 26 days left to take advantage before the "price" goes up substantially. I got all mine from Air Miles!! I am somewhat of an AM hoarder. :rotfl:

Yes! I already ordered and received one - except they sent me an expired ticket (expired Jan. 13/17)....so I'm dealing with that at the moment. I'm hoping to have enough miles to purchase a second one but I have a feeling I won't make it, I also don't want to leave purchasing the tickets I need too long, in case there is a price increase....

Yes! I already ordered and received one - except they sent me an expired ticket (expired Jan. 13/17)....so I'm dealing with that at the moment. I'm hoping to have enough miles to purchase a second one but I have a feeling I won't make it, I also don't want to leave purchasing the tickets I need too long, in case there is a price increase....

Oh my goodness! I should go check my tickets. I can't believe they did that!! Are they correcting it? Maybe you should ask for some extra Miles for the mistake. ;)

That's awesome! What a wonderful way to tell your kids! How much in advance did you let them know?

We told them on Christmas day for our February 6th trip. So a little over a month. The year before hand, knowing and planning and not being able to tell them was TORTURE!

Oh my goodness! I should go check my tickets. I can't believe they did that!! Are they correcting it? Maybe you should ask for some extra Miles for the mistake. ;)

I am SO gonna ask for extra miles...2 online chats, 1 phone call, and an email (with pictures of the expired ticket for proof), and it's still not resolved. It seems like they can't believe they sent an expired ticket. Well neither can I, and I want a new one!

I am starting to have a pretty good collection of Disney shirts for the kids to wear while we are there. Scored big time at Old Navy this weekend. 40% off all kids clothes. Got the girls matching Moana shirts and Minnie silhouette shirts.
IMG_8355.jpg IMG_8353.jpg
And then a Mickey & Minnie and "fab 4" shirt for my youngest 'cause her birthday is coming up and she is super into Mickey right now. She's actually going to have a Mickey themed birthday party (!!)
IMG_8354.jpg IMG_8352.jpg
And then I already have this shirt for my oldest:
IMG_8356.jpg
I bought it a long time ago 'cause it was on sale and I was pretty sure we'd be going to Disney around the time it would fit her. Now hopefully it will be warm enough in November for a sleeveless shirt lol!

Plus they both have Frozen shirts and ODD has a Rapunzel shirt...ok, don't let me buy any more Disney clothes for my kids!! DH and I need Mickey shirts though - we have nothing. And if I buy and pack a Mickey shirt for DH he won't be able to refuse my request for just ONE day of us all wearing Mickey shirts :D

Good score on the shirts!! I really hope Air Miles makes things right! I still haven't checked my passes... going to go do it now!!

So Airmiles update - I had to return my "expired" ticket (by registered mail, $10.50!), and they will send me out a new one once the old one is received. I received 300 free Airmiles for the hassle. Tracking shows they haven't received the old ticket yet, hoping all goes smoothly. I bought one 5-day ticket from CAA today, man does the exchange suck! But with all the talk of prices increasing, I figured I might as well get it bought. Still hoping I can get our last ticket through Airmiles but 1. I don't have enough miles yet and 2. I'm not buying another until the mess from the first one is sorted out!

We just took our 2 boys (4 year old and 16mo old) to Disneyland this past November. Wrote a short PTR and still trying to get around to actually writing the trip report. The trip was awesome but had a very tough ending so Im also in the process of planning a sorta makeup trip for the end of April.
Anywho..I literally didnt tell my 4yr old until the day we were headed there. He has no concept of time so he is the type that will at a minimum ask daily...are we going today, is it time yet...etc. :scared::) Leading up we just told him we were going on a roadtrip / vacay to the beach and then surprised him with the Disney part of it just prior to checking into our hotel. I also gave them small bags of disney themed goodies like new toys to play with in the room, mickey pjs, light up toys disney water bottles...etc. My youngest obviously didnt have a clue but they both enjoyed the goodies!
Hope you guys have a blast!!:earsboy:

Oh my goodness, I am having such bad luck with buying park tickets!!! I STILL don't have my ticket from Airmiles - now they are telling me they will refund the miles and I need to repurchase the ticket. And it could take 4-5 weeks. I am so done with them.

Then, I went to CAA today to purchase my 3rd (and last) ticket, before the 25% off ends tomorrow, and they couldn't get into their Disneyland ticket page on their computer. 2 people tried. Nothing. Apparently they could get into it earlier on in the day...sooo annoying! I had to make arrangements with my mom for her to watch the kids while I went there (since it's a surprise, I couldn't take them, or at least not the 4 year old), I was there for longer than I expected, and returned with NO TICKET! They will try first thing in the morning and I can do it over the phone, and then just stop in whenever to pick it up.
On another note, they had their Disney kids jewelry on sale for $5 - cute stuff, but I refrained from buying anything :). Also a cute Disney princess drawstring bag on sale - again, not necessary. I liked the Mickey luggage tags but they seemed pricey. So I left totally empty-handed.

I haven't updated in a long time! Only one trip related update, I upgraded our room at HOJO to a deluxe queen. Now we're getting close to the edge of our budget. But I don't foresee any big additional expenses! I want to tell my kids about the trip so bad already lol!

62 days away! I can almost make my character meal reservations! I've decided to do Mickey's surf's up breakfast and ariel's grotto. I'm still a little iffy on Ariel's (such mixed reviews!), but my DD5 is all about princesses these days so I know she'll love it.

Westjet changed our flights, but it didn't turn out too bad, the only thing is, using the Disneyland resort express bus won't work for our departure flight now, so I've booked Lansky's. Pricey, but I've heard it's worth the money.

Oh, in somewhat related news, my almost 2.5yo has decided she's done with diapers! I was really hoping to not have a newly potty trained little at Disney! It's funny though, because my oldest did the exact same thing to me when she was the same age - we had a trip booked to San Diego, and a few weeks before, done with diapers. So, I may be scheduling a few more potty breaks into our days!

12 more days!!! It's coming up so quick now. It's been booked for so long that it seems kinda unreal that it's finally almost here.

We told the kids this past weekend. Did a scavenger hunt (which was a huge hit), with the last clue (at their suitcases) being "Can you guess where we are going? It's where the princesses live, and Mickey & Minnie too!" Now, I specifically said that, because DD5 is constantly talking about how she wants to go to Disneyland "where the princesses live". She didn't get it. Lol. She was like "a castle?" Me: "where is that castle?" Her: "in my room?" :sad2: She finally tentatively said "Disneyland?", and was sorta excited, then followed it up with "but where is the surprise?" LOL. I think DD2 is actually more excited, she keeps talking about getting to "hug the princesses" :love:

I have a good outline of what our "plan" for each day is:

Thursday - DL for Magic Morning: must dos include meeting Moana, toontown, and a few fantasyland rides. Nap then back to park for the parade.

Friday - DL. Peter Pan, critter country, adventureland, meet princesses. Nap, then back for Mickey & the magical map and Fantasmic.

Saturday - DCA. I'm scared this day is going to be very crowded. We have Ariel's grotto booked for an 11:30 lunch. Also want to see the Frozen show in the afternoon. Must dos include meeting Anna & Elsa, RSR/cars land, soarin, TSMM, little mermaid. And bugs land. And a nap. Lol.

Sunday - non park day. Mickey's surfs up breakfast at 9:20 (I had it booked for later but then found out about the DST change, so I'm hoping we still feel like we "slept in" that morning). Rent car from DTD and check out DTD. Visit with relatives about a half hour away. Church in evening.

Monday - DL. Meet more characters, do the rides we haven't done yet, royal theatre show, park hop to DCA after nap for WOC.

Tuesday - DCA. Again, meet characters, paradise pier, Disney jr. dance party, park hop to DL if there is anything we want to do again there.

I really have no idea if we'll get to do everything I want to (which is pretty much everything except screamin, Indiana jones, GRR, haunted mansion). Especially since we will be rider swapping the big rides, so that will take up more time. And I don't know if the kids will be more into the rides or the experiences/shows. And they definitely need a nap break every day! I am getting maxpass just for myself, for the photopass aspect. Definitely intend to use digital Fastpass though.

I think that's all the updates for now! I need to start packing! I wanted to pack light but looking at the amount of clothes that are already laid out is kinda scary lol.

12 more days!!! It's coming up so quick now. It's been booked for so long that it seems kinda unreal that it's finally almost here.

We told the kids this past weekend. Did a scavenger hunt (which was a huge hit), with the last clue (at their suitcases) being "Can you guess where we are going? It's where the princesses live, and Mickey & Minnie too!" Now, I specifically said that, because DD5 is constantly talking about how she wants to go to Disneyland "where the princesses live". She didn't get it. Lol. She was like "a castle?" Me: "where is that castle?" Her: "in my room?" :sad2: She finally tentatively said "Disneyland?", and was sorta excited, then followed it up with "but where is the surprise?" LOL. I think DD2 is actually more excited, she keeps talking about getting to "hug the princesses" :love:

I have a good outline of what our "plan" for each day is:

Thursday - DL for Magic Morning: must dos include meeting Moana, toontown, and a few fantasyland rides. Nap then back to park for the parade.

Friday - DL. Peter Pan, critter country, adventureland, meet princesses. Nap, then back for Mickey & the magical map and Fantasmic.

Saturday - DCA. I'm scared this day is going to be very crowded. We have Ariel's grotto booked for an 11:30 lunch. Also want to see the Frozen show in the afternoon. Must dos include meeting Anna & Elsa, RSR/cars land, soarin, TSMM, little mermaid. And bugs land. And a nap. Lol.

Sunday - non park day. Mickey's surfs up breakfast at 9:20 (I had it booked for later but then found out about the DST change, so I'm hoping we still feel like we "slept in" that morning). Rent car from DTD and check out DTD. Visit with relatives about a half hour away. Church in evening.

Monday - DL. Meet more characters, do the rides we haven't done yet, royal theatre show, park hop to DCA after nap for WOC.

Tuesday - DCA. Again, meet characters, paradise pier, Disney jr. dance party, park hop to DL if there is anything we want to do again there.

I really have no idea if we'll get to do everything I want to (which is pretty much everything except screamin, Indiana jones, GRR, haunted mansion). Especially since we will be rider swapping the big rides, so that will take up more time. And I don't know if the kids will be more into the rides or the experiences/shows. And they definitely need a nap break every day! I am getting maxpass just for myself, for the photopass aspect. Definitely intend to use digital Fastpass though.

I think that's all the updates for now! I need to start packing! I wanted to pack light but looking at the amount of clothes that are already laid out is kinda scary lol.
Have a great time!! My daughter (25) and I are heading there next month for our American Thanksgiving. Well, we will be there the weekend before, and leave the day after. We can't wait! It's been super hot, hope it cools down for you a bit, today was about 100 degrees! How exciting that it's your first trip! I've been many times, in fact, I'm considering getting an AP this time around. Looking forward to your trip report when you return! Ho Jo's is a great place to stay, have stayed there on several occasions!

Have a great time!! My daughter (25) and I are heading there next month for our American Thanksgiving. Well, we will be there the weekend before, and leave the day after. We can't wait! It's been super hot, hope it cools down for you a bit, today was about 100 degrees! How exciting that it's your first trip! I've been many times, in fact, I'm considering getting an AP this time around. Looking forward to your trip report when you return! Ho Jo's is a great place to stay, have stayed there on several occasions!
Thanks! Yes I’ve been watching the temps, I am not a hot weather person! Next week looks to be quite a bit cooler (70), which is perfect for me! My kids have a couple cute dresses they want to wear, so hoping it doesn’t get too cool for those.

I have a good start on packing now, need to get my Von’s grocery order made and print off my “day plans” still. I want to be pretty much all packed by the 30th, ‘cause the 31st is a super busy day with Halloween activities, and we leave early on the 1st. So super excited!

Thanks! Yes I’ve been watching the temps, I am not a hot weather person! Next week looks to be quite a bit cooler (70), which is perfect for me! My kids have a couple cute dresses they want to wear, so hoping it doesn’t get too cool for those.

I have a good start on packing now, need to get my Von’s grocery order made and print off my “day plans” still. I want to be pretty much all packed by the 30th, ‘cause the 31st is a super busy day with Halloween activities, and we leave early on the 1st. So super excited!
I'm with you, I couldn't handle it when it's too hot! I'm from Alaska for gosh sakes! Anyway, you never know with Anaheim weather, it often is cooler in the mornings, and then can get pretty toasty by afternoon, and cool again in the evenings. I always bring layers, love the little fleece pullover type sweaters since they are lightweight and can be toasty warm when you get chilled! Smart lady getting Von's delivery! You will be there for 2 days?? Looking forward to your trip report afterwards! I'd love to go during this time someday...

You will be there for 2 days?? Looking forward to your trip report afterwards! I'd love to go during this time someday...

I will definitely be doing a trip report! We are there for 6 days! 5 days in the park. I am almost completely packed - I managed to fit everything into 1 checked suitcase, and 3 carry ons (1 for me, DH, and DD5). This is from someone who used to use 1 big suitcase just for herself lol. As long as I don’t think of any last minute things to pack I’ll be fine!

I will definitely be doing a trip report! We are there for 6 days! 5 days in the park. I am almost completely packed - I managed to fit everything into 1 checked suitcase, and 3 carry ons (1 for me, DH, and DD5). This is from someone who used to use 1 big suitcase just for herself lol. As long as I don’t think of any last minute things to pack I’ll be fine!
Well you have been back for a bit now, have you started your TR? My daughter and I leave late Friday night! Not a minute too soon, the weather here is getting colder, and today is blowing wind/snow, which is not a good combo! Packing warm weather clothes seems odd right now, but in a good way!! How did you like Ho Jo's? I am so tempted to book there again since I'm so familiar with it. I am debating between Tropicana & Fairfield Inn, but I need to make up my mind today because of cancellation policies!!

Well you have been back for a bit now, have you started your TR? My daughter and I leave late Friday night! Not a minute too soon, the weather here is getting colder, and today is blowing wind/snow, which is not a good combo! Packing warm weather clothes seems odd right now, but in a good way!! How did you like Ho Jo's? I am so tempted to book there again since I'm so familiar with it. I am debating between Tropicana & Fairfield Inn, but I need to make up my mind today because of cancellation policies!!
Just started the trip report today! I’m hoping to have our first park day posted by tonight. HOJO was great! No complaints. Our room was probably one of the furthest away from the entrance, so it definitely made the walk feel a bit longer, but I knew that when I requested the building. Have a wonderful time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts