PTR: O Solo Mio - solo DL/DCA 11/7-11/10

casagray

Kinda New to this!
Okay, this is kinda long, so be forewarned!

So, I'm going solo to DLR (Yeah!).

My plane arrives noonish on Saturday 11/7, and I leave 2 pm ish on Wednesday. I bought a 4 day park hopper through ARES (they were having a special that I found on MouseSavers), expecting to want to sleep in and chill before heading out on Wednesday (but who knows, maybe I'll up it to a five-day while there!). I'm coming from the midwest, so rope drop I don't think will be as much of an issue as staying up for the second parade when they have one!

I'm staying at BWPPI, and pre-purchased the Disneyland Resort Express round trip (the bus - luckily I've taken this before so I know about that it's not the shuttle).

And ... it's just me! I'm early 50's, and not in super shape, so I'm trying to plan my days knowing my limits. I have been solo to Disneyland one time before, when I went a day before a conference ... which ended up being extended to a three day park hopper so I could go every evening when the meetings were done. That was about 18 months ago. Before that we went there as a family in 2001, and before that ... it was 1977!! The only rides I really remember from then were "It's a small world", POC, and the teacups (which I didn't like ... not into spinning nausea inducing rides).

While my kids (13, 18) do know I"m going to SoCal, and do know I plan to spend some time at Disneyland, they don't know that I plan on being there every possible moment. We do family trips to various places every year, but my husband and I decided this year to do some solo trips as long as we could keep the costs down. My husband really wanted to go to Cooperstown ... which, while I do want to go at some point, I knew I would go crazy spending the full day. So he went off on his own, seeing the Indians on the way there, going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame library, spending a long full day in Cooperstown including an appointment at their library. While he did keep in reasonable, he ended up spending a chunk of money on souvenirs - I think when it's all worked out his will be more than mine. He loved being able to indulge himself and take his time and do his "thing". We jokingly called it his "mancation".

So for my "momcation" I'm doing my "thing", DLR - which I loved loved loved being at on my own!

My plans so far:

Saturday: Spend most of the time at DCA; I'd like to be sure to see the first show I can of Aladdin, and I love the Pixar play parade. I am probably going to get there too late to get a FP for World of Color, but I'll try as soon as I get in the park. I did put together a touring plan, but hope to use it as a guide line, and use OTTO and the touring plan app on line times to figure out where to be when. I'd consider going to the Cove Bar to see WOC, but it sounds like so many people know about it the lines will be crazy! Maybe I'll try that on Monday or Tuesday. I am contemplating going out of the park after the Pixar Parade, and getting indian food, and having that for dinner and hopefully lunch on Sunday.

Sunday (this is projected to have the most crowds during my stay): Arrive at Rope Drop, hopefully get to Indiana Jones (if I'm lucky the single rider line will be open first thing), Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan, before going on the "Welcome to Disneyland Tour". In my dreams I'd actually get a call/text saying I won that day in the middle of the tour ... okay, it's a dream. My guess is that after that I'll want to have lunch (and I can have the leftover Indian food) and chill a bit (probably soak my feet in a hot bath), and it seems that that time of day is when it's the craziest in the park so it should coincide nicely. Hopefully I can stay up that day to see the second Paint the Night parade. Other than that, once again I'll play it by ear.

Monday: I hope this day to really utilize touring plans, starting at DCA, and then going to DL. I hope to go Radiator Racers a few times, and Animation Academy a few times, have lunch at Flo's, and see Aladdin again (okay, I really love Aladdin). Late afternoon/Evening at DL I'm hoping to catch the last show of Magical Mag, POC, Paint the night, and the fireworks. Still dreaming I win something that day ...

Tuesday: Switch it around this day, going to MM at DL and spending a chunk of time there, then heading to DCA. I haven't put together a touring plan for this, I thought I'd see how the rest of the days go as this will probably be my last day at the parks! Last day for possibly winning something in the daily contest ...

Wednesday, sleep in, pick up last minute souvenirs/holiday gifts in DTD, and then head home.

So, there it is ... a rough pre-trip plan, some of it more planned, some less. I've already packed (hey, it's cold here, so it's not like I'm using my warm weather clothes right now), and included some granola bars, via coffee packets, and other snacks, as well as things like ziplocs, plastic utensils, a microwave safe bowl. I've also loaded titles on my Kindle, both for the flight, and for when I just have to rest my sore feet and weary body. Other than the tour, I have no reservations, and some rather rough plans for meals. Most of the advice on keeping costs down on meals involves sharing meals ... which isn't feasible, unless I pack up half and take it back to BWPPI (which I could do....).

If you got this far ...wow, I'm impressed! If you are there at the same time as me, look for a chubby lady with a smallish black sling pack with a pink or orange water bottle, a MU (Monster's University) ball cap, and old lady sunglasses (the kind that go over your regular glasses) - and feel free to say "Hi!". Even if it's not me, you'll probably make someone's day :earsboy:

Sounds like you have a good plan in place! How fun that you get to go solo for so many days. I can usually only manage to pop down for a couple days at a time, but that's pretty easy for me since I'm in Norcal. I've taken two solo trips so far but I got an AP this year and plan on being there in a couple weeks to see the Christmas decorations. Can't wait!

You and your DH sound like me and my DH. He has his interests and I have mine. Sometimes they intersect and sometimes they don't. I don't begrudge him his solo trips and he fully supports mine. I do sometimes drag him to DL but he's one of those people who is fine going every other year. It's funny, it hasn't yet fazed my DS7 when I say I'm going to DL on my own. He ejoys it, but he's not yet a total Disney freak like his mamma! I'm working on it though :)

Hey, don't let the CMs strong arm you about not having single rider for Indy in the morning. They tried that on me one time and I looked at the standby line and insisted on a single rider pass so they gave me one!

Hope you have a great time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter