PTR - Our September (Educational) Trip!

Escape2Disney

Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!
This is my very first pre-trip report, so I hope I don't bore anyone!

Cast: My younger DD15 and ME!
Cast Not in Attendance: My older DD18 (she will be in her first year of college) – she will definitely be missed!!
Justification for the Trip: 3rd Annual Not Back to School Days Rally @ Disneyland! :teacher:
Dates: The conference is 9/14-9/17/09, but we will be there until the 19th
Hotel: Unknown at this time

HISTORY
Let me tell you that I am a late-blooming Disney fanatic! As a child I only attended DL twice; once as an infant, and once with my father and his family so I could babysit the younger children. It wasn't until I was in my late 20s I started visiting the park to explore all of its wonderful magic! When my girls were 4 and 7 we made our first family trip and were HOOKED! Other than visiting family, it is our only vacation every year.

Our last visit was August 2008. Soon after that visit, I was placed on disability and eventually laid off from work all together. I thought we'd never get back to DL, but as luck would have it, an opportunity presented itself!

THIS TRIP
Since I homeschool my daughter, I'm always on the lookout for ideas to augment her education. One morning we ran across the Not Back to School Days conference and rally on the internet! :cool1: DD and I talked about it, and she REALLY wanted to attend. I told her there was no way we could pull it off, but she wouldn't accept that as an answer. She wanted to attend the classes, homecoming dance, and of course, DL! After much discussion, we came up with a plan; if she really wanted to go, she'd have to find a creative way to raise money (a good lesson for teens if you ask me).

The very next day she started a recycling campaign. She has been collecting the neighbors' cans, bottles, and plastic to take to the recycle center. She made fliers explaining her goals, and talked to all of the neighbors, adults in her art class, etc. She also started tutoring neighborhood kids in math, and has wrangled a few pet sitting jobs. In three weeks, the kid has raised almost $400!! With this type of initiative, I of course have to jump on board and help her out. Not only will the conference benefit her education, the fundraising is teaching her a valuable lesson about money.

My other concern was traveling while sick. We talked about that as well; she knows that while she's in classes, I'll be napping my time away in the hotel room. I'm bringing my scooter, so when we DO get to the park, I'll be rolling instead of walking. With the frequent rests and lack of walking, the doctor thinks it should be okay. It'll also be a good time for my service dog to try his skills in a much more crowded environment! He will have earned his service certificate 3 weeks before the trip.

With financial and physical concerns addressed, it looks like the only thing left to do is plan! I love this part!

More to follow as details are nailed down.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter