Purse Theft ???

timsueshd

Julie the Cruise Director
I hate carrying bags around amusement parks, so I do not want to carry a backpack.

Now with the Magicbands, I am only needing a small purse to hold mine and probably 2 (husband and son) other cell phones safely during the rides, plus some cash and a credit card.

All of the anti-theft purses I have looked at are huge and bulky and not so good looking.

My question... is there a lot of purse theft in Disney World? I know it could happen anywhere, but with the Magicbands, I would think that would deter thieves away because they wouldn't be carrying a lot of cash. Maybe I am wrong...

A thief would have to buy a ticket to get in and steal purses.
It's a closed space with one exit (sometimes two) and lots of secret security personal and cameras.

But, yes, don't lose track of your stuff.

We've only been to WDW once, and we are going on our second trip in May, but I didn't have any problems (or remembering hearing of any). I'm like you - small purse (in fact I bought a mickey head one from WDW while I was there, and I love it!), and I just wear it across my body.

I just got a new crossbody bag for upcoming WDW trip. It’s a LUG. Many have RFID & come in a lot of different sizes. From really small to luggage. Got mine from QVC. Put “LUG” into search & a lot pop up.

I don't carry a purse on a daily basis, I don't like them. At WDW, I started carrying a very small crossbody purse two trips ago because I am no longer able to wear contacts, so I need to carry my rx sunglasses or glasses while wearing the other. I found a Vera Bradley bag at a consignment shop awhile back for less than $20 that fits what I need. I wear it all the time because if I put it down, I'll forget it every time.

I highly recommend a fanny pack. It can also double as part of a costume if you go around mnsshp.

More seriously though I just carry a backpack with all our stuff in it including beverages and food. Statistically a thief would probably target my wife more than me. It is really not something we think about much. I just don't want my wife to worry about carrying our crap.

I hate carrying bags around amusement parks, so I do not want to carry a backpack.

Now with the Magicbands, I am only needing a small purse to hold mine and probably 2 (husband and son) other cell phones safely during the rides, plus some cash and a credit card.

All of the anti-theft purses I have looked at are huge and bulky and not so good looking.

My question... is there a lot of purse theft in Disney World? I know it could happen anywhere, but with the Magicbands, I would think that would deter thieves away because they wouldn't be carrying a lot of cash. Maybe I am wrong...

I think that thieves have a lot of unattended belongings to pick from if they want to steal something. I don't think they would have to snatch something from someone. I use a vera Bradley crossbody bag to bring my cards, Id, phone, etc. We also have a small backpack for things like autograph books, water bottles, and sweatshirts if we need them. (We go in November.)

have never heard of purse snatching at WDW, but have heard of small items like small purses being lost or misplaced or left unattended, and then not returned.

I don't like an open bag like a tote either...the kind where somebody could reach in and pull stuff out when you're not looking. got a friend who lost her wallet like that (not at WDW)

I wouldn't bother with an antitheft purse for Disney. Where will the thief who has just grabbed or cut your purse go? S/he'll be on camera anyway, and can be stopped pretty quickly.

But keep track of your stuff. And bring your ID. And insurance card.

Basically I carry everything I carried before AND I have a toddler's plastic bangle on my wrist (or in the crossbody bag or hard plastic waterproof lanyard pouch on my Ravenclaw lanyard). MBs aren't convenient to me. And I rarely set up room charging.

I love my crossbody bags in the park. I am addicted to the Vera Bradley disney designs. They are so soft and lightweight I hardly notice I’m wearing one. Plus my hands are freed up. And I pack Uber light, but it’s nice to have room for a few other items (sunscreen, autograph book, phone charger)

Blatant purse snatching (off of the wearer's body) is pretty much unheard of at WDW, which is a very safe place. No need to buy another purse.

Just be careful with your items and don't leave them unattended. What theft does occur at WDW is likely opportunistic.

I haven't ever heard of purse snatchings happening at WDW, but it's possible. I think that if you carry a bag with your essentials and you don't leave it unattended or mistakenly set it down and forget to pick it back up, you won't have any issues.

Yes, just take normal precautions with your purse. I wouldn't worry about a special anti-theft one. Keep it on you and don't leave it hanging on a chair while going up to a buffet, for example. I don't do anything special at Disney. I use a small crossbody Lesportsac (lightweight and water resistant).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!