Delete Thread

Cowfish

I decided to order something I've been wanting to try since our first visit to Cowfish in 2016:

The All-American Bacon Double Cheeseburgooshi
Seasoned premium black angus beef, yellow cheddar cheese, white cheddar cheese, and applewood bacon wrapped in soy paper and potato strings, then flash fried. Topped with dill pickle, red onion, Roma tomato, and Cowfish sauce
with a side of fries

IyRnTzFl.jpg

Here's a close up:

8A9Z3ydl.jpg

As photogenic as this was, it wasn't very tasty. It kind of tasted like they scraped the burnt burger ends off the grill and put them in here. It was mostly rice, and very little meat as well. I wouldn't order this again. But I'm glad I tried it because I had really wanted to know what it tasted like.

We also had service that was beyond bad (I'm going to say it even beat out our waitress at Ale & Compass during breakfast). Our waitress was fine, but the chef that came out to talk to Josh was... odd. After he talked to Josh about his order, he turned to talk to me about my order...only once he heard what my order was he kept trying to tell me it wasn't what I wanted. :confused: I don't know why, but it was really rude, and came off super condescending. Basically when I said I wanted the cheeseburgushi he was like "that's not what you want though, it has this this and this in it". And I was like "Nope, cheeseburgushi I get what it is", and I just kept repeating it was what I wanted, and he insisted a few more times that it wasn't what I wanted and then pointed to the page with just burgers and said "you probably don't realize it isn't one of these, you want a burger right?". (I did wonder if sometimes people order the cheeseburgushi not realizing it's in the form of sushi and not a burger, but I'd have to think that's not common enough to justify this type of behavior). I will say he wasn't super polite to Josh either, but he definitely didn't quiz him on his choices like he did to me.

cIn2qNz.gif

At the time it happened I really just felt annoyed with the guy, but I didn't think there was much we could do. I didn't even tip less, because it's not like the chef gets the tip. Now going back over what happened I'm annoyed all over again, and I'm kind of wishing I asked for a manager, but I guess it would seem petty to ask for a manager just so I could tell them "your chef has a bad attitude" so I guess I wouldn't have done anything differently.

Truthfully, I was kind of annoyed I didn't really like it. Like I was proving him right in some way? But I don't think he was trying to talk me out of it because of the taste, he was acting like I literally couldn't comprehend what it was.

iXKUms9.gif

Back to the food, Josh got the:

The Cowfish Has Officially Left The Building
Full-pound beef burger, creamy peanut butter, fried bananas, applewood bacon, brioche bun (make it a SINGLE HUNKA LOVE, half-pound beef burger for 15)

(He did the single one this time).

vi3bS53l.jpg

He loves this burger! He got the double when we went there during our HHN trip, and really liked it but it was too much food so he went for the single this time, and loved it again. He really loves how peanut butter tastes on the burger. I tried some of his in September, and while it wasn't bad, I thought it would taste a little too sweet to eat an entire burger covered in peanut butter.

All in all it was an alright meal at Cowfish aside from the service. This is the third time we've come here and we've had pretty mixed experiences. The first time in 2016 I got a regular burger and it was pretty overdone, Josh got a specialty burger that was a bit different than the norm, and he wasn't crazy about the flavors. Then we went here during our HHN trip, we both loved our burgers. (Josh got the peanut butter one, and I got a boursin cheese one). This trip Josh loved his and mine was eh. I will say one thing we noticed was the food seemed better when we went later and the place was busier, when we've gone for lunch crowd is always pretty small and the food isn't the best.

We'll definitely be back sometime in the next year, but not right away. Hopefully by then that chef will be gone or I'm going to have quite a bit to say to him if he speaks to us like that again :rotfl:

CF6zQM9.gif

Drinks from the Wizarding World

I got something I've been dying to try (but it's never quite cold enough):

Hot Butterbeer!

yhMMwzF.gif

Btq9cJUl.jpg

I've had both other kinds, and while I still rank frozen has my favorite, this one was really good too. However it was really hot, and I did steal some ice from Josh to cool it down.

Josh got the:

Tongue Tying Lemon Squash

j61Z9mIl.jpg

This is like a lemonade with a hint of vanilla. He got this for the first time on our May trip, and really liked it. He drinks a lot of lemonade when we're on vacation so this is perfect for him.

Food Budget-1250
Estimated Cost-38 for lunch, 10 for drinks
Money spent-38 for lunch, 13 for drinks
Over-3
Leftover-435
Wow, so I guess we can add chef-splaining to the list? That just seems so absolutely rude!

I’m sorry you didn’t your food, but at least now you know! And I totally get wanting to like it just to spite the chef!

I’ve never heard about the lemon squash but I’ll have to give it a try!

While I'm glad that Josh liked his meal, your whole experience would have annoyed me SO much! In fact, I'm annoyed for you! That chef really needs an attitude adjustment, and it really is too bad that you didn't love your meal so you could be like "take that!" (not that you'd have actually said that, but it'd just be satisfying) :laughing: But the point wasn't that you liked it anyway, it was that you knew what you were doing to begin with! Maybe your next experience there will be better :thumbsup2

Raeven you really don’t want that do you? Ugh! Do you think it is the blonde hair? I have found at times especially when I was your age, I was treated like I didn’t know anything, I really do think it was my blonde hair at times! I am sure you are a smart cookie like me and that is so annoying!

You have mentioned in other reports how the waiter would often just talk to Josh and not you, I absolutely hate that! Oh well at least we can say blondes have more fun!

We tried Cowfish once and I got the sampler thing, with sushi, edamame, and a tiny burger, it was okay but I had burger envy when I saw my sister and Andi’s burgers. They were very good.

That's a bummer Cowfish experience, but I had to say, I'm glad Josh finally got the good meal for a change! He deserved it! What a weirdo chef talking to you like that. I don't know if I would have said anything either, but he sounds annoying. We had a weirdo waitress there, hmmmmm….Like you, I would give it another try. That guy can't be there ALLLLLL the time, can he?

Well I just spent the last hour and a half (in between my child making me watch him battle pokemon) on this snow day reading your reviews. I had about a million things to comment on but since I didn't do it as I went, I forgot now.

The smoked gouda on the Y&Y burger looks good. For my son's 6th birthday we had it at a mini golf place and their food is homemade on a bbq grill. Anyway he chose the grilled cheese and when she asked him what kind he wanted, he told her "smoked gouda." *blink blink* I've never been asked for that before! The picky kid is definitely influenced by his foodie mom!

Homecomin' is on my list to try for sure but the more I read reviews of the fried chicken sandwiches, the more i think I'm going to stick with the regular old fried chicken. Even though it's a massive portion and I'll end up pitching it, it seems like the most consistently good. I bet the picky kid would share that with me with a side of mac and cheese anyway.

your review of free snacks at MVMCP makes me think I didn't really miss out on anything.

I can't believe you've had so many rude restaurant staff in your trip! I always know exactly what i should have done 2 hours later too, lol.

I have never in my life heard of cowfish then I realized it was a universal restaurant. Kiddo is getting into harry potter age now, we might have to branch into Universal soon! Loving it, can't wait to read more!

Well I just spent the last hour and a half (in between my child making me watch him battle pokemon) on this snow day reading your reviews. I had about a million things to comment on but since I didn't do it as I went, I forgot now.

:laughing: well thank you for reading!

The smoked gouda on the Y&Y burger looks good. For my son's 6th birthday we had it at a mini golf place and their food is homemade on a bbq grill. Anyway he chose the grilled cheese and when she asked him what kind he wanted, he told her "smoked gouda." *blink blink* I've never been asked for that before! The picky kid is definitely influenced by his foodie mom!

It was really good! Your son has good taste in cheese :thumbsup2

Homecomin' is on my list to try for sure but the more I read reviews of the fried chicken sandwiches, the more i think I'm going to stick with the regular old fried chicken. Even though it's a massive portion and I'll end up pitching it, it seems like the most consistently good. I bet the picky kid would share that with me with a side of mac and cheese anyway.

I've had the regular fried chicken plate before (and I think I'm going to order it again next time), and it's really good. It is a lot of food though, I think no matter what it would be hard to finish. I can't share with Josh, so I end up with a lot left. Sounds like a good idea the mac and cheese is delicious :thumbsup2

your review of free snacks at MVMCP makes me think I didn't really miss out on anything.

You really didn't aside from the hot pretzel there wasn't really anything I wanted to get twice.

I can't believe you've had so many rude restaurant staff in your trip! I always know exactly what i should have done 2 hours later too, lol.

Just a few, haha. Really only that guy and the Ale and Compass waitress, but this guy was the worst. :rotfl:

I have never in my life heard of cowfish then I realized it was a universal restaurant. Kiddo is getting into harry potter age now, we might have to branch into Universal soon! Loving it, can't wait to read more!

Yeah, I decided to add our dining at Universal into this DTR too, so this is the start of it before I start my Universal TR. Yes, he'd love it if he loves Harry Potter! And this way you can hear the review of some of the food places before you go.

Hot Butterbeer yum!!! But I'm with you, 100%. I also prefer frozen above all else. I don't order it anymore because of the dairy though. Maybe again someday. And I approve of Josh's drink choice. I'm kind of obsessed with the tongue tying lemon squash. I look forward to it whenever I know we're going to Universal. Even though it's really just a lemonade at its core. But it's a good, nice and tart kinda lemonade!

Cowfish always looked interesting to me to try one day. And the Cheeseburger Sushi thing looked good to me too. Sorry it wasn't that good. Bummer. I am not sure how I feel about Peanut Butter on a burger... I am sure DH would like it. Maybe its' a boy thing.

40 minutes is a long time to wait for a pizza. And waiting for food while you're really hungry is the worst. The pizza does look tasty though.

It's too bad this didn't taste good, it looks cool and unique. The chef sounds really rude, I would have asked to speak to a manager. I don't think it would have hurt telling someone about the experience.

I definitely get the not wanting to eat something you have at home. Chattanooga has the only other Big River Grille(s) - (there is one downtown and one out by the big mall) and we live an hour from there and eat at Big River a few times a year. We love it, but I don't want to do it at Disney since we can do it when home. I guess that is also the reason I didn't care for Trail's End and I won't go to Homecomin'-- we can eat that style of food nearly anywhere at home, including my inlaws every Sunday for lunch :)

I am all caught up on this dining review. And know I am craving all of Josh’s gluten free dishes. Especially those shrimp and grits. now I am hungry lol. It has been so long since I have been to Disney world I haven’t even heard of some these restaurants. Reading your review makes me want to consider going back there. We had such a bad experience there with my gluten sensitivity. I’m glad it has gotten better.

It has been so long since I have been to Disney world I haven’t even heard of some these restaurants. Reading your review makes me want to consider going back there. We had such a bad experience there with my gluten sensitivity. I’m glad it has gotten better.

Wow, just jumping in to say I'm sorry to hear you had such bad experiences! I've only been gluten free for a few years, and only been to Disney with dietary restrictions over the last 2-3 years, but things must have changed quite a bit since you were there. I've had amazing experiences, with the exception of 2-3 meals out of dozens, and Disney is probably the only place outside my own kitchen where I feel reasonably safe eating. :lovestruc

Wow, just jumping in to say I'm sorry to hear you had such bad experiences! I've only been gluten free for a few years, and only been to Disney with dietary restrictions over the last 2-3 years, but things must have changed quite a bit since you were there. I've had amazing experiences, with the exception of 2-3 meals out of dozens, and Disney is probably the only place outside my own kitchen where I feel reasonably safe eating. :lovestruc

It was like maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It was horrible there the food there was okay once it finally came out it didn’t come till 30 minutes after my party got there’s. But honestly every other place in Disney for my gluten free needs was great. I definitely like eating Disney gf food.

Bummer about the Cheeseburgooshi because it looks so fun! And that guy is a weird-o. I could maybe see people messing up occasionally when they want a regular burger, but all you have to do is read the description to realize it's not one!

And I think I said this the last time you reviewed here, but I would love to try the Single Hunka Love. YUM. :rotfl: Zack just shook his head when I showed it to him.

Some of them are new, but some of the ones in here are from Universal, and the first one I talked about was in a city near us at home. You should! They've handled Josh's allergy really well, they must've improved a lot. I see you say you last went like 3-4 years ago, our first trip was about 2.5-3 years ago so it sounds like they've made improvements since then. I feel like compared to even our first trip there's more new offerings every time.

We are there in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and had no issues. The first time with allergies was in 2013 ( so 5 years ago). The restaurants in Disney springs are all new to me as well. Last time I was there I went with little cousins and the only places we went to were Trex and rainforest. That trip we did eat at a few restaurants in universal city walk. But none in the parks since I haven’t been to USO since 1995.

Next time I go back I will give Brown derby another shot. Until I will enjoy your dining reviews and “eat” my way through Disney this way. Haha

was ridiculous. We had some interesting food over at Universal :thumbsup2
I'm not sure "interesting" sounds good

8A9Z3ydl.jpg

As photogenic as this was, it wasn't very tasty. It kind of tasted like they scraped the burnt burger ends off the grill and put them in here. It was mostly rice, and very little meat as well. I wouldn't order this again. But I'm glad I tried it because I had really wanted to know what it tasted like.
Sorry this wasn't good, but I have to say Casey would totally be all over this!!!

nd I was like "Nope, cheeseburgushi I get what it is", and I just kept repeating it was what I wanted, and he insisted a few more times that it wasn't what I wanted and then pointed to the page with just burgers and said "you probably don't realize it isn't one of these, you want a burger right?". (I did wonder if sometimes people order the cheeseburgushi not realizing it's in the form of sushi and not a burger, but I'd have to think that's not common enough to justify this type of behavior). I will say he wasn't super polite to Josh either, but he definitely didn't quiz him on his choices like he did to me.
Wow, that is just weird? Wonder if he put the burnt ends in your roll just to prove some sort of weird point :confused3

vi3bS53l.jpg

He loves this burger! He got the double when we went there during our HHN trip, and really liked it but it was too much food so he went for the single this time, and loved it again. He really loves how peanut butter tastes on the burger. I tried some of his in September, and while it wasn't bad, I thought it would taste a little too sweet to eat an entire burger covered in peanut butter.
Glad Josh finally got a meal that he loved. That boy is long overdue!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!