Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Question of the day 3/30: What's a favorite holiday you celebrate and why?
My favorite holiday is Christmas. I love the lights, the decorations, the music, the movies, the treats, the length of time it lasts. I always find Christmas Day to be kind of a let down. I prefer the anticipation!
I couldn't have typed it better! I often say Christmastime is my favorite holiday. - Decorating the tree, watching Christmas movies...I just love the coziness of it all.

I am not big on holidays anymore.

I used to love the holidays. Big meals for everyone at Thanksgiving; massive decorating, baking, and shopping for Christmas; egg coloring and hunts at Easter; Halloween and dressing up and handing out candy; 4th of July picnics and fireworks; even New Years Eve with staying up all night.

But now, there's really only DH and I to cook for at Tday (DS doesn't like anything but mashed potatoes and rolls on a regular turkey day menu), so not worth cooking. I am tired of hauling all the decor out at Christmas and then putting it back (all by myself); the baking is ok, but for presents, I ship to the grandkids and my DDs, and DS only wants $$$ nowadays, so what fun is wrapping that? DS is too old for Easter and Halloween kid fun; it's just too hot here in FL for 4th of July outdoor fun; and NYE is just another day becoming another day...it's no fun to celebrate it alone (which is what I would end up doing).

That would pretty much be my answer too. Right down to what you celebreated, how you used to celebrate, and why you don't do it now! So I won't bother typing, I'll just steal your answer, lol. TYVM Bianca and Bernard!

Starting a new week. Mark another day off the calendar and know we are another day closer to this "over." I know some may be getting house fever, myself included. I'm tired of cooking and meal planning but my stretchy parents are getting looser. Maybe I've just stretched them out :rolleyes1

Let's say that your pants are looser and that they aren't stretched out! lol

It's beautiful day here at least and I know that there will need to start mowing soon. I won't be doing it. I'll plant pretty flowers. It's to an extent surreal to think we are talking about mowing and spring activity and

The weather here is beautiful..makes me want to go buy flowers and start planting. Except that the Governor of MD decided this afternoon, that he would issue a stay at home order. Telling people to only go out if they need food, medical care, medicine, a vet, a mechanic, etc. But that's pretty much what people for the most part have been doing anyhow. He said 'don't go out shopping for garden supplies, carpet, furniture, etc". Well the carpet and furniture is no problem, since all of those stores are already closed. And I guess I can sneak flowers, cow manure, and potting soil into my cart when I go to Walmart for food, right? :rolleyes:
I'm going to start watch some of the shows I've been putting off like the newest season of The Crown and I know my favorite show overall is Nailed It starts this week. I don't binge watch things as I don't have attention span and I don't like to go through something quickly and not have things to enjoy over a period of time. I'm the same person who will make a package of cookies last a while because I don't like to be out anything.

Just know we are one day closer to back to "normal." I'm looking forward to getting my coconut mocha and a long drive with sunroof open and stopping for some good beer at a brewery. I know we will get there.

I wish we were back to normal..but his issuing that order just panics everyone more than they already were IMO

Tonight's dinner: leftover Thanksgiving style with package of shredded turkey I found in the freezer, some stuffing in the pantry, going to roast sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts.

Dinner here will be Irish garlic sausage, applesauce, jasmine rice, and maybe some canned peas--I am tired of cooking! :(

Onto question of the day... ya'll be safe

Question for 3/29: What are ya'll watching on tv?
I saw someone asking what others watching on tv. Share good things to watch.

1. Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist--cute easy show with lots of intertwined segments
2. Masked Singer---it's crazy how I'm addicted to wanting to know who is in a flower/bunny/unicorn/whatever costume
3. Bob heart Abishola--on CBS. This was the first season and I love it. So sweet
4. The Unicorn--on CBS. A dad recovering from the loss of his wife and his really involved friends trying to help
5. Austin 911-- I don't do lot of medical/police/fire dramas but I love Rob Lowe. I like the show quite bit.
Sorry, I'm a bit behind. Don't feel like chatting today.

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
The Voice
This Is Us (over for the season)
American Pickers
Masked Singer
Big Bang
The Office
Friends (me)
Food Network
DH is watching old sports competitions and shows.

A lot more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Hi everyone :wave2:

I've been trying to peek in on this thread because I think it's an excellent idea! Thank you, Tina, for starting it! I haven't been on the Community Board in a while now.

This is basically what we watch (mostly DVR-ed and watched later):

We binge-watched the first 2 seasons of the Masked Singer
American Idol
Good Girls
A few shows on Discovery; Gold Rush, Forged In Fire
Lots of shows on the Food Network: Spring Bakery Championship, Chopped, Beat Bobby Flay, etc
Schitt'$ Creek (final season :( )
The Profit
Survivor
American Housewife
The Goldbergs
Schooled
Black-ish
Mixed-ish
The Curse of Oak Island (guys, please find *something* substantial already!!!)
How To Get Away With Murder (series finale soon :( )
Homestead Rescue
MacGyver
Hawaii Five-0 (I love this show; series finale is next week)
90 Day Fiancé (and all of its offshoots. Don't judge. LOL)
Married At First Sight (what a bunch of train wrecks)
Below Deck, and its various offshoots.
My husband watches The Walking Dead.

We need some good tv recommendations! We have Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime, and expanded cable (HBO, etc).
Duh, how could I forget Gold Rush and Parker's Trail? Deadliest Catch is starting up in a couple weeks, so that will be something else to occupy our Tuesday nights. We also watch Port Protection and Life Below Zero.

We don't have any subscription services except for Disney+. We don't have a TiVo, either.

Aurora79, I've never figured out the secret to baking potatoes properly! They never seem to be fully cooked or taste right...I used to sometimes get one at Wendy's and even though (I a guessing) they use microwaved baked potatoes instead of "real" ones in an oven, those tasted better than my own effort. I hope you enjoyed your meal :)

Oil and salt the outside of the potato and wrap in foil. :)

My husband loves Halloween. He loves the costumes and decorating and "scaring" but we also live in a neighborhood that has hundreds of kids that trick or treat. This past October with the weather in the 20s and spitting snow we had over 150 kids and that was small turnout. We do chocolate, non chocolate, and mini play dough (which is super popular and usually goes before the candy!)

I love Thanksgiving. I love cooking and visiting with my family or even my in-law family, which is my family too. I like people just enjoy being together and having an open heart. I miss Thanksgiving with the Army where we would have 30+ people at my house and I'd cook for couple days planning to feed many who had no one. It was stressful but fun.
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, because there is no pressure about celebrating it. You show up, you eat, you watch football, laugh, talk and leave.

My husband loves Halloween. He loves the costumes and decorating and "scaring" but we also live in a neighborhood that has hundreds of kids that trick or treat. This past October with the weather in the 20s and spitting snow we had over 150 kids and that was small turnout. We do chocolate, non chocolate, and mini play dough (which is super popular and usually goes before the candy!)

I love Thanksgiving. I love cooking and visiting with my family or even my in-law family, which is my family too. I like people just enjoy being together and having an open heart. I miss Thanksgiving with the Army where we would have 30+ people at my house and I'd cook for couple days planning to feed many who had no one. It was stressful but fun.
Hands down, I love Halloween! Not just because I'm still into goth at my age...in fact, the goth part really has nothing to do with Halloween, it just seems like it's more acceptable at that time of year ;) I love ravens, skulls, black cats, cemeteries, all that stuff. We're all fans of Nightmare Before Christmas. My son loves our very realistic "Peeping Thomas" decoration that goes in the window. We really enjoy trick-or-treating, too, and we've done family costumes every year we've gone out. 2017, we were the Frankensteins (DS was the monster, I was the bride, DH was the scientist); 2018 we were the Justice League (DS was Batman, DH was Superman, I was Wonder Woman), and last year we were Ghostbusters (I found a Ghostbusters "Venkman" hoodie at Target for DS, so DH was Spengler and I was Stantz).

I do love decorating for Christmas and doing all the Christmas activities in our area. I think there might be too much to do! Christmas Day itself I find stressful, but I like everything leading up to it.

And as an aside, I agree about every day being one day closer to this thing ending. My son said yesterday that he wants the "conavyus" to go away because he wants to go back to school and gymnastics. Every night, when I go to bed, I'm just grateful that we all made it through another day with nobody feeling ill :grouphug:

Duh, how could I forget Gold Rush and Parker's Trail? Deadliest Catch is starting up in a couple weeks, so that will be something else to occupy our Tuesday nights. We also watch Port Protection and Life Below Zero.

We don't have any subscription services except for Disney+. We don't have a TiVo, either.

ohhh I forgot about Deadliest Catch..thanks for the reminder!

My favorite holiday is Christmas. I enjoy the whole month of December. Yup, I'm that person who actually puts the Yule log channel on.
We usually go downtown for a night or two to enjoy the lights and decorations and see a holiday show.
It's a special time of year and I always look forward to it. 🎄🎄🎄

Gosh, I like most all the holidays and really have no true favorites.

We'll celebrate Easter and Passover at home this year giving equal time to both as a change of pace. The man plans to visit Barney Greengrass and p/u a takeout noshing platter next week. I ordered a petit ham from D'Artganan and have lamb chops and asparagus soup in the freezer for Easter.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, because there is no pressure about celebrating it. You show up, you eat, you watch football, laugh, talk and leave.

And if you do it "right" you realize you have a lot to be thankful for, which is a real boost with the crazy bananas hype and demands of the Christmas holidays coming hot on its heels.

but my stretchy parents are getting looser. Maybe I've just stretched them out :rolleyes1
I was going to comment on this but lynxstch already did. It made me laugh.

Not a fan of Halloween at all.
Definitely Christmas although I love the liturgies of Holy Week and Easter.
I agree. I think Easter edges out Christmas because less stress. But I do love Christmas, especially now that we have DGD.

We have a family holiday -lamesgiving. It is the Friday after Thanksgiving. Started many years ago and includes my kids, now their spouses and kids, and my brother and his kids plus their SOs. My DB lives in CT and would go to NJ for Thanksgiving then come to our house in MD on Friday for dinner with us and our mother. I got tired of fixing two big dinners so we started to go out Thanksgiving and have a big dinner Friday. DS, a teen at the time, called it lame. Hence, lamesgiving. Then when my son's work schedule interfered and both kids had to split time with in-laws, Friday continued to work well. This year we even had matching T shirts.

Gratitude today.
DH and I took a 1.5 mile walk in the neighborhood.
DGD 3 yo and her parents came over to bring us produce and had an early egg hunt in our bigger backyard. Their dog could run and I got to see DGD. DD is 33 weeks pregnant and things are so uncertain for her.

Halloween is my fav which is tied to my general feelings about Autumn (my fav season). I just love the feel in the air, though I guess it's been different since I'm on the West coast now. back East, there was a feeling of that magical crisp cool air and just having lots of things to do nearby. My husband is a fan of Christmas and gets super into it.

I’m so far behind on this thread! We watched “ Sister Act” on Disney+ over the weekend. It was fun.
I felt sorta down the first week we were staying in. Then got used to it the second week. Yesterday was a really good day and today really wasn’t. I don’t know why, maybe weather? I think we have to cut ourselves some slack and it’s ok to have some ups and downs.
Our neighbor across the street ( he’s fairly new and we don’t know him, but we met him) is gone. He’s in the reserves and I wonder where he is and what they have him doing.
I’m curious have any of you thought about planting vegetables or flowers? It’s way too early here but I hope the stores have plants and we’re able to go get some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter