Question about downloading from KaZaa

Lisa L from MI

<font color=0099CC>Just call me the handing out ke
Hi
Anyone every download software??? I am thinking about trying to download Norton 2003....my friend did and so far, so good.

Just wondered if anyone downloaded anything other that music.....
Thanks
Lisa

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. When you download music, the odds of downloading a virus are slim to none. When you download software, you are downloading executable files. You could easily destroy your computer with one bad download. :(

Be careful.

A) It's illegal
B) People have recently disguised viruses as actual programs
C) People will have access into your computer the moment you turn Kazaa on.
D) It isn't guaranteed to work.

That being said, also make sure you have multiple types of decompression utilities in so that you can unpack the application no matter how the person set it up.

Some examples will be WinZip, WinAce, and WinRAR. Those should be the only three you need.

Or you can spend 17 bucks and get the full thing (assuming you meant Norton Antivirus 2003) :p

Originally posted by Tina
Honestly, I wouldn't do it. When you download music, the odds of downloading a virus are slim to none. When you download software, you are downloading executable files. You could easily destroy your computer with one bad download. :(

Actually Mp3's are about 5 MB in size each. Viruses are usually in the KB size. Mp3's aren't any safer than other files.

When I run KaZaa....I have it to where nobody can download off me.

Right now I don't have any anit virus software at all. I know...I have been lucky......

I don't think the Norton Antivirus 2003 is only 17 bucks.....when you don't have an existing one to upgrade from

Thanks

How come I remember seeing some in stores for like 100 and even more dollars??

Do you know if this is the full thing or just an upgrade to 2003....because I don't have a previous version

Thanks

You can definitely find Nortans Antivirus for less than $20.
Don't be penny-wise and dollar foolish. If you don't have anti-virus software on yoru machine already, and you download something from KAZAA that has a virus on it, you're in a LOT of trouble...

Odds are pretty good at this point, if you've been downloading stuff off of the internet without protection, that you already have a virus of some kind.

Lisa - I think you were probably looking at the full Norton package which includes several computer and disk diagnostic tools as well as the anti-virus software.

I wouldn't risk downloading an anti-virus package from KaZaa.

Didn't know it was that cheap...guess I was looking at something different at the stores....

I feel like that too...I don't think I will take the chance of downloading it.

Wish there was a downloadable version from a reliable source though. I did that with McAfee on my other computer a few years ago, but didn't care for it.

Thanks again everyone....

Lisa

Just adding my vote not to download it.

One other thing to think about is that downloaded software does not include updates. New viruses come out daily. Purchasing the software gives you a year of protection.

According to our IS people Kazaa is a major spyware user and bad news.

Yes, software and movies. I already have McAffee Virus Scan and it has caught viruses in KaZaA files. There are viruses out there but not every file is virus-ridden. Still, I would never download anything without it going through virus scan first.

Yes, KaZaA has spyware. After you download it, you should run AdAware by Lavasoft to get rid of the spyware files.

I would forget Norton alltogether and download free anti-virus software from grisoft. Here's the link: AVG
It is called AVG Anti-Virus software. It is free, and will automatically update the virus definitions, as well as scan your hard drive and all incoming e-mail for viruses. I have used it for 6 months now and it works just fine. They offer one for sale that has a few more features, but the free version should be fine.

Originally posted by ***********

Yes, KaZaA has spyware. After you download it, you should run AdAware by Lavasoft to get rid of the spyware files.

KaZaA will not run if you remove the spyware. Maybe Kazaa Lite but not full blown Kazaa.

KaZaa is a spyware ridden utility designed to illegally acquire music and software. It also leaves you vulnerable to hackers. Why would you want something like this on your computer?

OK, upon reading this, it sounds a bit harsh. Sorry about this, but piracy is one of my hot buttons and most people who use these tools have no idea thay are taking part in it. Please understand that tools like KaZaa encourage piracy and place you at risk in the process. In my opinion, removing it from your hard drive is the best course of action.

Thank you for not promoting internet piracy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter