Question about rides that jostle your head around (expedition everest, RNRC, etc)

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
If you have rode the expedition everest, how strong is the force of when you are going backwards? And how long does that part of the ride last? Does your head really feel pushed forward while going backward?

How would you rate level of head thrusting with these rides? Or what rides would you say your head is bobbled around the most? I have a 20+ year old herniated disk in my neck that I try to gauge how a ride might effect it. Thanks

RNRC (never been)
BTMRR (been many times)
TT (been many times)
Expedition Everest (never been)
Space Mountain (been on this years ago)
Dinosaur

Last edited:
I have neck problems too. I avoid Space Mountain and Dinosaur. Rock n Roller makes me nervous riding it (I try to keep my neck from being jerked). I won't ride Primeval Whirl again, I nearly got whiplash the last time. I won't ride the Tomorrowland Speedway cars unless I have someone behind me I know (too many rear end crashes). I don't have any problems with any other rides.

Nobody here can answer if it'll bother your neck, as everyone's physical issues are different. I've had surgery on both knees, one hip, have a herniated lower back disc and neck bulges...but none of the rides bother me. I don't think any ride at WDW is so violent it would actually give an otherwise healthy person "whiplash". But it doesn't mean they won't bother you.

The backwards part of EE doesn't force your head forward, IMO. I'd say it lasts about 15 seconds, maybe a bit less. It does make you feel like you're flipping over, but it's actually just a steeply banked turn (uphill, I believe). I don't find the ride to be exceptionally "jerky", probably on par with a lot of other similar coasters.

RnR is incredibly smooth, IMO. The initial launch is fierce (best part of the ride), but if you simply rest your head back in the seat before launch, your head won't really go anywhere. You don't need to press it back, that's unnecessary, IMO...just rest it back and relax...the force of the takeoff will keep it back for you. The rest of it is quite smooth. As a PP mentioned, Dinosaur and Space Mountain are pretty jerky in that they have quick motions back and forth. BTMRR is also very jerky, IMO. TT has a few spots where it jostles you back and forth, but nothing crazy.

You mentioned you've done BTMRR and Dinosaur. If you can handle those, then I'd think you can handle anything else.

RNRC (never been) - I keep my head flat against the head rest so never had problems
BTMRR (been many times) - never had problems that I can remember
TT (been many times) - on the break test or whatever it's called I've had my head jostled but nothing terrible.
Expedition Everest (never been) - Doesn't matter if I keep my head flat or not flat, my head gets jostled on the backwards part and the tighter circling part, I usually have a slight headache right when getting off.
Space Mountain (been on this years ago) - my head and neck have been jostled/whiplashed many times, I feel like it's mostly when I'm in the back though.
Dinosaur - never had issues.

It helps too that in EE you are at a total stop before you start going backwards, and it's not like a jolted start. As mentioned above, it's very smooth. It definitely isn't like you are suddenly pulled in the opposite direction.

Space Mountain is the worst for your neck, imo. I've tried it a couple times, and every single time I had a nasty headache by the time I got off. It rattles you around a lot, and it's too dark to really know how to react.

Everest is just fine (for me). I don't feel that my head gets pushed forward, though you do feel the gees in the pit of your stomach. And the one spot where you stop at the top and start going backward, can bounce your head a bit if you're not expecting it.

Kind of the same way the brakes on Test Track can give you a jolt.

Not all seats on RnRC are created equally. I feel the front is smoother and the back seems to shake me a little more.
I agree about not all seats being equal. To the point where if they assign me the back section of the cars I ask to wait for something further up. I do not ride in the back of RNRC. The front is much smoother. It is not the going back and forth it is the jostling around in the middle of the ride that bothers me more.

This may seem like a strange answer but when I used to ride with a pony tail in my hair, I found the rides very jerky and sore for my neck. Last visit, I had my daughter French braid my hair on the sides and it was a ton better. As others have mentioned keeping your head back against the seat really makes a difference. So my answer is make sure you don't have anything between your head and the seat.

These are all so helpful. If there are any other rides that really jostle your head around, please post them on here. Thank you all so much! I try to watch youtube videos to get an idea of what the ride will be like but best to hear from others!

This may seem like a strange answer but when I used to ride with a pony tail in my hair, I found the rides very jerky and sore for my neck. Last visit, I had my daughter French braid my hair on the sides and it was a ton better. As others have mentioned keeping your head back against the seat really makes a difference. So my answer is make sure you don't have anything between your head and the seat.

Yes, I never wear a ponytail for this reason on rides! Thank you!

EE almost always gets me on the reverse section as I can't see to be prepared for a turn, so I knock my head on the "seat". I've gotten so I force my head back tight to the seat for that section and it works quite well. You just have to remember to do it.

Not all seats on RnRC are created equally. I feel the front is smoother and the back seems to shake me a little more.

Actually, RnR would be the one roller coaster where it really doesn't make any difference if you're in the front or back. That's because it launches instead of climbing/cresting any hills, like the others do. When you launch, the entire car launches together down the straight line. When it flips, sure the front cars flip first, but they all flip at pretty much the same velocity. So there really isn't much difference at all...your mind may play tricks on you, but it's really the same.

EE or BTMRR are different front to back. That's because in the front, you climb the hill...where the chain is pulling you up. But you don't accelerate down the hill until the weight balance of the entire car crests the hill. So you sort of "hang" as you go down the hill and then get shoved. If you're in the back of the train, you're still climbing the hill when the balance of weight crests, so you get "whipped" over the peak of the hill as the train accelerates. So there really is a notable difference. RnR never does this since it launches...in a straight line. It's really the same, front, back or middle...just different visuals. I love the back, it's really cool to see the entire train cartwheel in front of you, IMO.

I have herniated disks from a car accident years ago & TT is the worst for me. RNRC I keep my head pressed back the whole time. EE I don't remember having any issues with. I have never ridden Primeval Whirl.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter