Question about rides that jostle your head around (expedition everest, RNRC, etc)

#1 Space Mountain, I got off and felt it in my lower back big time. Tried it a few days later and though not as bad I have ruled it out for future rides.
Haven't ridden Dinosaur in 10 years but watching it on our last trip did not appeal to me one bit.

The new Star Tours was pretty wild too, but not even close to as bad as Space Mountain.

I have herniated disks from a car accident years ago & TT is the worst for me. RNRC I keep my head pressed back the whole time. EE I don't remember having any issues with. I have never ridden Primeval Whirl.
I am going to avoid Primeval whirl, watched a youtube video and that would really kill me. TT I also avoid, have a feeling it will jerk me around too much. Thank you!

Not all seats on RnRC are created equally. I feel the front is smoother and the back seems to shake me a little more.

I agree. Last trip we rode it twice. First time was fine. I always make a point to keep my head back on the headrest. Second time, I could not keep my head still no matter how hard I tried to keep it pushed back on the headrest. Just too jerky. Came off that second ride with a headache.

I agree. Last trip we rode it twice. First time was fine. I always make a point to keep my head back on the headrest. Second time, I could not keep my head still no matter how hard I tried to keep it pushed back on the headrest. Just too jerky. Came off that second ride with a headache.

I think I may avoid this...thanks

Thank you, OP, for this post! I am going to try BTMRR and see how that goes first. Never done RnRC. Did not like EE or SM, couldn't lean my head back on those two, so my neck got tired. I haven't decided about Dinosaur yet. I'll probably skip it if I have problems with BRMRR.

Actually, RnR would be the one roller coaster where it really doesn't make any difference if you're in the front or back. That's because it launches instead of climbing/cresting any hills, like the others do. When you launch, the entire car launches together down the straight line. When it flips, sure the front cars flip first, but they all flip at pretty much the same velocity. So there really isn't much difference at all...your mind may play tricks on you, but it's really the same.

I know the effect you’re talking about, but I wasn’t referring to velocity. I was referring to side to side jostling. We frequently ask to sit in the front car on RnRC because of the view. I’m pretty good up there. The times I’ve sat in back (single rider line) it feels like my head is moving more side to side and my ears are hitting the restraint. YMMV

I am going to avoid Primeval whirl, watched a youtube video and that would really kill me. TT I also avoid, have a feeling it will jerk me around too much. Thank you!

I have only ridden Primeval Whirl once and I was shocked that that ride is legal. There were four of us and we got thrown around and squished and jerked like I have never experienced. My right shoulder was injured. Also, on that same ride experience an iphone suddenly dropped behind my daughter's back while we were about halfway through the ride. It must have come off of a vehicle above us jerking around. We turned it in to a CM. For us, that ride was not fun for even one second.

As I get older, jerky is not that good. I have found over the past 10 years, the following rides fell off the list...Primevil Whirl and Space Mountain. Dinosaur! is getting there. I will try it one more time. It is the unpredictability of the motion that is the problem...hence a jerky, unpredictable motion. I can adapt positioning for the "launch" on RnRC. Drop rides do not bother me. The existence of a head rest allows me to position my neck for unexpected turns and accelerations. I can adapt to sudden acceleration but not a quick, unexpected, jerky position change without a headrest.

This is rather specific, I know, but I have arthritis in my neck. That is the issue.

I got whiplash in 2013 for the first time (not at Disney) and now I get it very easily. The only ride that has actually given me whiplash again was Space Mountain. I will never ride it again as it took almost 6 mos to recover. Everything else (never been on Dinosaur) requires me to really think about how to position my neck but I've been ok. Even RnRC has been fine. I can get a headache pretty easily but I've not gotten 'whippy' on it. Being able to keep my head pressed back against the headrest has helped with that. Space is a whole different deal cause there is not head or neck support and since you cannot see, there is no way to predict how to lean into the curves.

Quick tip for Dinosaur...grab onto the metal bar in front of you with your elbow "locked". You don't have to hold it hard or really squeeze, just hold it with arm extended and elbow locked. It really helps cut down on a lot of the being thrown around.

As I get older, jerky is not that good. I have found over the past 10 years, the following rides fell off the list...Primevil Whirl and Space Mountain. Dinosaur! is getting there. I will try it one more time. It is the unpredictability of the motion that is the problem...hence a jerky, unpredictable motion. I can adapt positioning for the "launch" on RnRC. Drop rides do not bother me. The existence of a head rest allows me to position my neck for unexpected turns and accelerations. I can adapt to sudden acceleration but not a quick, unexpected, jerky position change without a headrest.

This is rather specific, I know, but I have arthritis in my neck. That is the issue.

This exactly. I cant handle unpredictable jerky motions. Motions I cant see coming. That's exactly the best way to describe it. I don't want to ruin my neck for the whole trip due to pain, but I also don't want to avoid things I can go on, I just need this kind of info! Dinosaur is exactly the kind of thing that can throw me off, especially a side to side motion. I haven't had an MRI In years but I am sure at this point I have arthritis in my neck as well.

I got whiplash in 2013 for the first time (not at Disney) and now I get it very easily. The only ride that has actually given me whiplash again was Space Mountain. I will never ride it again as it took almost 6 mos to recover. Everything else (never been on Dinosaur) requires me to really think about how to position my neck but I've been ok. Even RnRC has been fine. I can get a headache pretty easily but I've not gotten 'whippy' on it. Being able to keep my head pressed back against the headrest has helped with that. Space is a whole different deal cause there is not head or neck support and since you cannot see, there is no way to predict how to lean into the curves.

Exactly!! No way to predict and brace. What other rides do you or anyone else, think fall into this category? How was EE for you? BTMRR? Any other details appreciated!!!

Exactly!! No way to predict and brace. What other rides do you or anyone else, think fall into this category? How was EE for you? BTMRR? Any other details appreciated!!!

EE is fine for me. I've had no problems. I actually find it fairly smooth. BTMRR is a different deal. It's *SO* jerky! BUT...I can see where I am going and I truly believe that makes all the difference. Like you say...being able to 'predict and brace'. I've ridden BTMRR behind others holding their necks. Took me awhile to figure out why they were doing that. Now I know!!

IMO, Space is the worst...dark and no neck support...there is nothing else like that. I rode Space as a kid so it's hard for me to give it up but it really messed me up two trips ago and I'm just not interested in revisiting that level of neck pain for half a year.

EE is fine for me. I've had no problems. I actually find it fairly smooth. BTMRR is a different deal. It's *SO* jerky! BUT...I can see where I am going and I truly believe that makes all the difference. Like you say...being able to 'predict and brace'. I've ridden BTMRR behind others holding their necks. Took me awhile to figure out why they were doing that. Now I know!!

IMO, Space is the worst...dark and no neck support...there is nothing else like that. I rode Space as a kid so it's hard for me to give it up but it really messed me up two trips ago and I'm just not interested in revisiting that level of neck pain for half a year.

Ugh. I haven't rode BTMRR in years. Now I am wondering if I rode this since my neck injury. It was closed last time we went for refurbishment! Is it really that jerky? It is one of my favorite rides. I just don't recall it being jerky but it really could have been before my injury!

How is BTMRR for you? I haven't been on in many years, now I am not sure if I have been on after my neck injury. So I don't recall how jerky it was.

Ugh. I haven't rode BTMRR in years. Now I am wondering if I rode this since my neck injury. It was closed last time we went for refurbishment! Is it really that jerky? It is one of my favorite rides. I just don't recall it being jerky but it really could have been before my injury!

It's very jerky to me but I am able to protect my neck since I can see how to lean into the turns. You may be dealing with a different situation than my injury so I'd never want to encourage you to ride something that may hurt you, but I do fine on BTMRR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter