Question about rides that jostle your head around (expedition everest, RNRC, etc)

I'm not a medical professional or anything but one thing I will say about both Expedition Everest and Rocking Roller Coaster is that the seat backs are high enough I can rest my head back (I'm 6'2").

That is not true for most rides, especially Dinosaur and Splash Mountain.

I have no idea if that makes a difference but it is something to keep in mind!

I can ride BTMRR without problems despite the lack of an adequate head support because I can see where I am going, no unpredictability. I use my legs (feet planted on the floor) and holding on to the lap bar to adjust slightly to prevent jostling as I anticipate the motion of the ride vehicle.

On EE last trip, I did have some problems with my neck. On one part, my neck was forced back but I must have been sitting funny because when my head went back it missed the headrest and was forced back past it - which did hurt!

I am an otherwise healthy 20 something but was sore for a while!

It's very jerky to me but I am able to protect my neck since I can see how to lean into the turns. You may be dealing with a different situation than my injury so I'd never want to encourage you to ride something that may hurt you, but I do fine on BTMRR.
Ok. No, same situation here. Usually as long as I can brace I am fine. I watched the Youtube video and I think I will be fine, especially since I don't recall it being an issue in the past, and don't recall feeling alarmed by it (even before the injury). Thank you

I can ride BTMRR without problems despite the lack of an adequate head support because I can see where I am going, no unpredictability. I use my legs (feet planted on the floor) and holding on to the lap bar to adjust slightly to prevent jostling as I anticipate the motion of the ride vehicle.

Yes, same here. Thank you!

Months ago I was in physical therapy for my neck. I asked if I could go on WDW rides that posted warnings about neck problems. Therapist said to avoid anything too extreme and do some stretches first. I have pretty bad arthritis in my neck. So that's the plan.

C5-6 herniation started in 2003, had disc replacement surgery 6/17 - I am a NEW person!

Went to Disney 2011, 2014, and 2/2017 with the disc. Feb 2017 I was in the middle of a huge flare that led to the surgery - did BTMR, Space, 7 Dwarves - didn't do the rest (I wanted to do Dinosaur but my kids find it too scary). Space & 7D were fine. BTMR was a HUGE mistake. That was the only ride I regretted going on. Whatever the movement was, it really really hurt. So, this is definitely a YMMV question.

Most important things I found were to make sure I was holding hands with my DD on my "good" side. Just the added pressure of the weight of her arm was too much. I could carry a backback, but NOTHING on one shoulder. We flew, so I had my traction neck support on the plane and used it every night after the parks. I also packed an extra suitcase (thanks Southwest) that had my good, super-supportive pillow. I still had problems with my hands going numb while I slept at night, but nothing horrible.

Should I have done all this? In hindsight, no, after the MRI in Jan I *should* have immediately had surgery...but I tried to avoid it well beyond where I should have.

C5-6 herniation started in 2003, had disc replacement surgery 6/17 - I am a NEW person!

Went to Disney 2011, 2014, and 2/2017 with the disc. Feb 2017 I was in the middle of a huge flare that led to the surgery - did BTMR, Space, 7 Dwarves - didn't do the rest (I wanted to do Dinosaur but my kids find it too scary). Space & 7D were fine. BTMR was a HUGE mistake. That was the only ride I regretted going on. Whatever the movement was, it really really hurt. So, this is definitely a YMMV question.

Most important things I found were to make sure I was holding hands with my DD on my "good" side. Just the added pressure of the weight of her arm was too much. I could carry a backback, but NOTHING on one shoulder. We flew, so I had my traction neck support on the plane and used it every night after the parks. I also packed an extra suitcase (thanks Southwest) that had my good, super-supportive pillow. I still had problems with my hands going numb while I slept at night, but nothing horrible.

Should I have done all this? In hindsight, no, after the MRI in Jan I *should* have immediately had surgery...but I tried to avoid it well beyond where I should have.

What is YMMV? Thanks for sharing your story. Ugh. Still not sure what I will do. Glad you are feeling better and the surgery was a success. Can I ask about your hands? Did both of them used to go numb or just one?

Like so many others have stated, I think Space is the roughest. If you do try it, make certain you're in the front car-- it's a little smoother than the back, at least!

I find RnR, 7D, and EE all pretty smooth, but I think EE is another one where the front seats are a smoother ride than the back.

What is YMMV? Thanks for sharing your story. Ugh. Still not sure what I will do. Glad you are feeling better and the surgery was a success. Can I ask about your hands? Did both of them used to go numb or just one?

Your mileage may vary :D

My hand had gone numb at night for the past 15-20 years, worse when we needed a new mattress, new pillow, etc - so I always really struggle when we go on vacation. The push to finally do something after 15 years was because the intermittent left arm nerve pain had become constant right arm nerve pain, then radiated down to my hands. MRI (previous MRI was 2003, and I still had the films, so they were able to compare results, even though my DR had long ago retired) was Jan 2017, pain had gone from livable to I'd better get back to the DR in Oct 2016. Results came back with "severe spinal stenosis" due to the bulging/herniated (why can't they make up their mind with the name) according to the radiologist (or whoever reads MRI results) but my DR said it wasn't that bad or I would have to go for surgery immediately. I didn't want cervical spine surgery, so PT, new meds, nerve conduction test, and cortisone shot - by April I could barely drive, write, cook, etc bc the pain was so bad. Surgery was the last day of the school year bc I wanted to finish out the year... surgeon (not the same dr who had given me the results of the MRI) said when he got in there, it was a lot more severe than they expected - original results were probably correct and I probably should have gotten it done in January.

I had anterior disc replacement instead of a full fusion. One night in the hospital, 6 weeks of no driving, wore a neck brace for about 3 months. Almost 8 months out now and really feeling SO much better. No meds at all.

Your mileage may vary :D

My hand had gone numb at night for the past 15-20 years, worse when we needed a new mattress, new pillow, etc - so I always really struggle when we go on vacation. The push to finally do something after 15 years was because the intermittent left arm nerve pain had become constant right arm nerve pain, then radiated down to my hands. MRI (previous MRI was 2003, and I still had the films, so they were able to compare results, even though my DR had long ago retired) was Jan 2017, pain had gone from livable to I'd better get back to the DR in Oct 2016. Results came back with "severe spinal stenosis" due to the bulging/herniated (why can't they make up their mind with the name) according to the radiologist (or whoever reads MRI results) but my DR said it wasn't that bad or I would have to go for surgery immediately. I didn't want cervical spine surgery, so PT, new meds, nerve conduction test, and cortisone shot - by April I could barely drive, write, cook, etc bc the pain was so bad. Surgery was the last day of the school year bc I wanted to finish out the year... surgeon (not the same dr who had given me the results of the MRI) said when he got in there, it was a lot more severe than they expected - original results were probably correct and I probably should have gotten it done in January.

I had anterior disc replacement instead of a full fusion. One night in the hospital, 6 weeks of no driving, wore a neck brace for about 3 months. Almost 8 months out now and really feeling SO much better. No meds at all.

Thank you for sharing your story. So did the pains actually radiate down your arm? When I had my injury at first, I had radiating pains down my arms. I had various treatments, etc. Over the years it has subsided and gotten much better and I often forget about it. But I ask about the radiating pains because I had a baby last year and I developed what I believe is carpal tunnel (I developed it in my first pregnancy also). I sometimes question if it is coming from my neck and it's not carpal tunnel (although it absolutely seems to match carpal tunnel more so) mostly in my right hand. I saw a neurologist (for another issue) and he didnt seem to think it was related to my neck (but didnt send me for an MRI). He asked if I Had shooting pains and since I have had them years ago, I know what they feel like and I told him, no, I don't have any. It's just concentrated at my wrist and hand/fingers. I too was worried about cervical spinal stenosis but he seemed to think Would have radiating pains if my hand numbness was related to my neck. So really wanted to hear how you felt, describe the symptoms, knowing now that you had cervical spinal stenosis. Neck surgery is scary. I am so glad things turned out great for you!! Congrats!

BTW I usually bring an old cervical pillow for vacation and I just leave it there when I am done ( I Wont bring it home back to my bed). Some pillows kill me, since I am so used to a firm cervical pillow.

Thank you for sharing your story. So did the pains actually radiate down your arm? When I had my injury at first, I had radiating pains down my arms. I had various treatments, etc. Over the years it has subsided and gotten much better and I often forget about it. But I ask about the radiating pains because I had a baby last year and I developed what I believe is carpal tunnel (I developed it in my first pregnancy also). I sometimes question if it is coming from my neck and it's not carpal tunnel (although it absolutely seems to match carpal tunnel more so) mostly in my right hand. I saw a neurologist (for another issue) and he didnt seem to think it was related to my neck (but didnt send me for an MRI). He asked if I Had shooting pains and since I have had them years ago, I know what they feel like and I told him, no, I don't have any. It's just concentrated at my wrist and hand/fingers. I too was worried about cervical spinal stenosis but he seemed to think Would have radiating pains if my hand numbness was related to my neck. So really wanted to hear how you felt, describe the symptoms, knowing now that you had cervical spinal stenosis. Neck surgery is scary. I am so glad things turned out great for you!! Congrats!

BTW I usually bring an old cervical pillow for vacation and I just leave it there when I am done ( I Wont bring it home back to my bed). Some pillows kill me, since I am so used to a firm cervical pillow.

My nerve conduction test ruled out carpal tunnel, but it also ruled out nerve damage or involvement, which I had a lot of. My surgeon said most of the tests are false-negatives. Not shooting pains. Sharp pain when I used my hand and a deep nerve pain all the time. For years I was basically ok, as long as I didn't reach over my head, or behind me in the car etc. I had a calcium deposit in my shoulder two years ago which led to a frozen shoulder. Not sure if my disc got worse then, especially as I was doing a ton of PT to move my arm again. Until last year, all of my pain was entirely on my left side - even though the disc was bad on the right. Then the left shoulder froze and by the time that was recovered, my right arm/hand started and just got rapidly worse.

My nerve conduction test ruled out carpal tunnel, but it also ruled out nerve damage or involvement, which I had a lot of. My surgeon said most of the tests are false-negatives. Not shooting pains. Sharp pain when I used my hand and a deep nerve pain all the time. For years I was basically ok, as long as I didn't reach over my head, or behind me in the car etc. I had a calcium deposit in my shoulder two years ago which led to a frozen shoulder. Not sure if my disc got worse then, especially as I was doing a ton of PT to move my arm again. Until last year, all of my pain was entirely on my left side - even though the disc was bad on the right. Then the left shoulder froze and by the time that was recovered, my right arm/hand started and just got rapidly worse.

Thank you. Glad to hear you are doing well.

I am a healthy early 30-something in good physical shape and I just cannot ride RnRC. No matter how hard I try to keep my head still, it jerks around too much and I come off with a terrible headache. I’ve sat in the front and the back and it made no difference. Crazy how so many people can have a different experience. My husband is fine on it. He says I must just have weak neck muscles :laughing:

I am a healthy early 30-something in good physical shape and I just cannot ride RnRC. No matter how hard I try to keep my head still, it jerks around too much and I come off with a terrible headache. I’ve sat in the front and the back and it made no difference. Crazy how so many people can have a different experience. My husband is fine on it. He says I must just have weak neck muscles :laughing:

Ok now Im convinced. I won't be riding this one. Thanks!

I answered you earlier on which rides I avoid (Primeval Whirl, TT). So I just got back and had to add to the list. I also have bulging discs and been in pain for 19 yrs. I will never go on Space Mountain again. I haven't done it in 18 yrs so I forgot what it was like. My head was jerked around so much bc I couldn't see which way we were going and all the little jerking motions. EE jerked my head around too. I won't do Dinosaur again either. BTMRR doesn't bother me as much, but there is a little bit of jerking.

I also have neck issues and rode in the back of SM on our last trip and suffered for several months after. I rode in the front on the first day of the trip and could see some in the dark so that helped predict what to do.

This trip in a couple weeks I really want to try RnR. I think I'm gonna go for it. Making sure to keep my head back and trying to sit in front.

Ok now Im convinced. I won't be riding this one. Thanks!

OP, I'll throw this out there one more time, because IMO it would be a shame to miss a ride you have interest in. Don't get caught up in all this silliness about what ride bothers what part of what persons' body. I'm not at all saying it's silly that people say ride X causes them pain in X part of their body, I have no doubts about their input. But it's absolutely silly, IMO, to apply that to you. Every human is different in so many ways that the pain...or lack thereof...that one person feels on a ride has nearly zero relevance to what you will experience. As I mentioned before, I have a number of joint issues, including bulges/herniations and have had surgeries on my knees and hip. However I can and do ride every single ride in WDW with zero pain. But that doesn't mean the same will be true for you. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. The best anyone here can do is describe the ride motions and then you can decide if you think it may bother you. For us to tell you "It will hurt your neck, it'll hurt your pinky finger" is of no real value for you.

speaking from personal experience (I have herniated lower back discs), I find DINOSAUR and Space Mountain the worse for my back. I have had no problem with Everest and find the backward motion is smooth. My advice - judge your body before you ride....if you're already in pain, don't go.

RNRC (never been)
BTMRR (been many times)
TT (been many times)
Expedition Everest (never been)
Space Mountain (been on this years ago)
Dinosaur

IMO, BTMRR, Space Mountain and Dinosaur jostle you around the most out of this list. I involuntarily slide around in the seat on these rides. RnRC also forces my head back in the beginning but it's smooth so I can keep it back against the seat without much movement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter