• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about taking the train to WDW

jenny2

DIS Veteran
DH and I have been throwing around the idea of taking another trip to the world this January (those DAMN APS!!). DH won't fly (and he's an aircraft mechanic... scary!) and since we just did the drive in September with the kids, I'm really not looking forward to it (the drive).

I've been thinking of taking the train, but don't know anyone who's taken it to Florida to ask how it was. That's where you all can help :) I'd like any and all comments on taking the Amtrak, especially if you took it with kids. My DD will be 2 1/2 and DS will be 7 months old.

How was the train? What kind of seats do the trains have? Did you get a sleeping room or sleep in the seat? Did you take your car as well? How is the food? If you had kids with you, how did they do? What did you do during the day to keep them busy? What is your overall impression?

The only experience I have with trains is with Boston's commuter rail, and if the Amtrak trains are like them I won't be going anywhere, LOL! :)

Thanks in advance!

I can't really comment on service out of Boston... however, I took the Auto Train from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL when I first moved down here... it was a very pleasant ride. I got myself the standard private berth... it was small, but it was just myself, so I was fine. The food was excellent... and I wish I had taken advantage of some of the on board entertainment. At any rate, the train left VA at 4pm, and arrived in FL at 9am the next day, so the trip was quick... and I truly enjoyed it.

I took Amtrak from Rte. 128 station thru to Sanford, FL last November. The first train went thru to Union Station in DC for a 2 hour layover. Then we switched trains to continue to FL.

It was a very relaxing ride. I was traveling solo so I can't help with the kid questions, but there were kids on board.
Since I was by myself I went coach the whole way. The seats are large and recline to 3/4 with a foot rest. They do have pillows and blankets, but they are first-come, first-serve so I brought my own.

The food I can't comment on (brought my own) but they did serve dinner in the Dining car and had snacks and beverages in the Lounge car.

If you want to bring your car, you'll have to drive it from MA down to Lorton, VA to pick up the Auto Train.

All in all, I'd do it again. It was about a 26-hour trip. Let me know if you have any other questions!!! :Pinkbounc

We're leaving this week on Amtrak from Rte 128 via NY Penn then on to Orlando. We've booked a deluxe sleeper for DH, myself and 3 kids. Although we haven't travelled on this coast before, we've always enjoyed our train travels in past. Will post an update when we return from the trip. One suggestion if you are considering a sleeper, book early! You'll find a substantial savings.

My Wife & I also took Amtrak from Rte 128 Westwood to Orlando on the way down. And we flew back. I did not want to fly when we booked our honeymoon, and she didn't want to drive so we booked the train. Hey, I've ridden the MBTA into Boston, how bad could it be? It was real bad. Delayed 2 hrs going to NYC because the train broke down (at least it didn't fall from the sky), and after the changeover we were ended up being 3 hrs late arriving in Orlando. 2 tips if you do take the train- Tip 1-Get the sleeper cabin!! It has a shower, a tv, & a bed!! I'm 6'0 and 225 lbs, and let me tell you how bad it was tossing & turning for 30 hrs in the reclining chair. Tip 2-Sun into Mon is the busiest for time for freight trains which take the tracks 1st usually because most of the tracks belong to CSX, not Amtrak. Oh, and we were lucky that the kids across from us were so well behaved, because it could have driven me nuts!! But beware of the drinkers. At 3am, 20 mins after falling asleep, the whole train was awoken by the screams of the woman 3 rows behind us. A drunk guy fell ontop of her and she couldn't move!! The guy was moved but started drinking again at 9am!! What ever you do, good luck.

Paul & Christine

Dolphin Dec 2000 -engaged
Swan Oct 2001 -back for more
Grand Floridian Sept 2002 -Honeymoon
??????? 2004???

Hi. We're leaving on Dec. 19 from Back Bay station (the closest from our house) and they at Amtrak told us that unless we had our luggage shipped the day before to Orlando from South Station, we would have to bring our luggage with us. Do the trains have a lot of space for that? There's 5 of us, me, DM, DB (12) and 2 DS (8 and 10). How will we manage.

Also, we're stopping over in Union Station in DC with the beds (yes!!!). Will there be enough room in the 2 rooms (standard viewliner) we're staying in?

Just want to be prepared.

Lulu02,

The station in Mass. that you are boarding probably does not provide checked bagagge service. Yes, there is plenty of room on the train for your luggage. Since you are changing trains in Washington, DC. you can check your luggage in DC.

Here's what I would do. From Washington, DC. you are travelling First Class.(sleepers) In Washington, DC. at Union Station there is a First Class lounge for First Class passengers. Go there with your family and luggage and ask them to check your luggage for you. They also provide snacks and drinks for you. The Amtrak people at the First Class lounge will help you.

One thing to remember. If you do this in reverse, remember to only check your luggage from Florida to Washington, DC. You will have to retrive your luggage in Washington, DC. before you board your train back home.

Dumbo

Our family did the train from Providence to Orlando last year I would never ever ever ever do it again I would assume walk first before taking the train. My husband does not fly so we did the train the Amtrak Employees we had were the rudest crudest people I have ever met in my life the food was awful the bedrooms (they rape you with the price) were so small literally you had to go out to change your mind. They make the MBTA look like the queens limosine

I've used Amtrak a few times to get from Newark, NJ to Orlando. From that station there's baggage service BTW. I've only traveled coach so I can't help you with information about sleepers or bedrooms. Coach seats are wider then airline seats with MUCH MORE legroom. The seats will recline (but not fully for sleeping). As far as the equipment is concerned I've been in cars that were recently refurbished and some that were NOT and needed it. There's usually a handicapped and non handicapped bathroom in each car and cleanliness depends on on the courteousy of the people you travel with. I've been in cars where they've been pretty good for the trip and some where they've been filthy almost immediately. Food service is a dining room for sit down meals and a lounge car for fast food. Smoking is only in the Lounge car in an enclosed area. The Orlando station has baggage handling, lavatories, vending and a waiting room open during the day.

for the info. I'm really excited about this trip. This is our first trip to Orlando and we're really, really, really happy about it :)

I've got a lot more questions to ask later in other forums :>

In fact, I've got another question. With the trains that have sleepers, about how much are breakfast and lunch meals for kids (around age 8). We have free meals for 4 folks, but there's 5 of us. Would it make any difference in price according to age?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter