Question for all of you Floridians and those who have been to the World in January...

horner5

Mouseketeer
What is the weather like? I'd like for the kids to swim, but it was iffy to swim even when we went last February. Is it warmer closer to December or more towards February? What do the temps usually run? I know the week before we got there in Feb, it got down into the 30's (last week in January), which I sure hope was a fluke! I'd like to go down 1/24 to 2/1, but this trip will be weather based-coming from Michigan, the warmer, the better!!

Thanks in advance!

I am going in Jan as well, and I am curious what people will say. :)

The pools are heated from what I understand, however :)

-Erica

We've been to WDW in January before, and are going again next year. It is colder than usual, in the 50's-60's during the day, and can get into the 30's at night. But, daytime temperatures could also be mid-70's. It really depends. But, January is a nice time to visit. Enjoy your trip!

Unfortunatley no matter how many replies you get this one is the correct one. Jan. and Feb. can be interchangeable for us. What you got in Feb. last time may be exactly what you get in Jan. Last year on MLK day in Epcot they sold out of woolen gloves. Does that mean it WILL be cold in Jan.? Definately not. Highs may be in the 80's. Even on nice warm days early morning and dusk are often jacket weather so swimming? I don't know. Certainly Floridians (mostly) don't swim in Jan./Feb. no matter what. As I said, you'll get all kinds of anecdotal responses saying "when we were there we never got out of the pool", "when we were there we froze". You want to know which is most likely and the simple truth is it's completely unpredictable and the odds don't change at all between Jan. and Feb. Here is the one and only predictable thing about Fl. weather: somewhere between April and October it will be VERY hot for a VERY long period of time.

Originally posted by sorcerermikey
[ Here is the one and only predictable thing about Fl. weather: somewhere between April and October it will be VERY hot for a VERY long period of time. [/B]

LOL! VERY funny sorcerermikey!!

I've lived in FL for more than half my life and I would say typically January is the coldest month. However, I have seen a week of 80 degree temps in late December early January and the 20's as well. This past year has been one of our coldest ever so I would venture to say the closer to February you go the better. I can remember working on my tan as early as Feb some years! That was the beginning of summer for us!

I agree with sorcerermikey that you'll find only Northerners swimming in Jan!!

We went the last week in January- we were comfortable walking in shorts/short sleeves during the day but definitely bring a windbreaker or sweatshirt to pull over after the sun goes down. Especially for the kids- I remember once the sun went down it cooled pretty quickly. We did do the pools and played in the sand- and we used the air conditioning in our suite (OKW)- and we're full fledged southerners- if you do the pools pick high noon when it's warmest. I think you'll LOVE going in January!

Tara

Regardless of the responses you'll get, pack for everything...shorts, tee shirts, long pants, sweaters/hoodies, light jackets and...LONG UNDERWEAR!

Man...was I ever glad I packed it for our January trip this year! Holy cow! It got down to 28 degrees and the big news was the orange crops freezing! At least I can say I was there during a record breaking cold snap! A few days prior to that though, it was very nice, lower 70's, going down into the 50's at night. Very nice in terms of park hopping, at least we thought so.

All the WDW pools are heated, so you really don't have to worry about that, it's when you get out of the water! Just make a quick dash to the hot tub to warm up good, then wrap a towel around your body and run to the room!

I've posted this photo here before, but this is something I'd thought we'd never see in Florida during a vacation, frost on the rooftops of the Wilderness Lodge Villas! This was taken from our room at the Wilderness Lodge.

wlfrost.jpg

Thanks for all of your input, everyone! I just booked awesome airfare-$175 pp out of Chicago Midway for 1/24 - 2/1/04. The way I figure it now is that a cold day at Disney is better than any cold OR warm day in Michigan!:p

Weve been there in January when it's been 30 degrees during the day)of course, there was a blizzard with 2 feet of snow back home !), and we've been there when it's been 80 degrees during the day. I will say, when we have been there at the beginning of Janaury, it's tended t o be more toward the cold side and when we've been there at the end of Janaury, it's tended to be more toward the warm side.

We have been able to swim at times. I usually bring a couple of pair of pants, a ouple of pairs of shorts, some short sleeved tops, a long sleeved top and a fleece of some sort. Since we are going there from the north, I usually have a jacket and gloves, which I needed to wear at home.

Last September we moved to Florida from Michigan. And even though we were used to cold Michigan weather and snow, we wore gloves and jackets to Disney in December, January and February. But we also read that it was the 3rd coldest winter in Florida history. I would say bring the suits but be prepared to make changes to your plans.

Bring the suits, but plan on not being able to swim. If you get a lucky break, and get some great weather, it'll be an amazing treat. (Otherwise it'll be such a disappointment!)

On the other hand, as a former Midwesterner, I must point out that WDW in January is the one place where you'll FINALLY get some use out of those really cute, completely impractical windbreakers that every Northerner secretly owns, lol!

I love these weather questions. I could not agree with sorcerermickey more. The weather from year to year is never the same. As we natives say "If you dont like the weather wait 5 minutes and it will change." The best suggestion we can make this far out is be prepared for both. Thinks layers so you can add or subtract what you need. The other thing is check out the weather channel about a week out or www.orlandosentinel.com, the local paper to get an idea. It wont be foolproof but will be close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter