Question for Ebay seller pro's

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
I have purchased from Ebay and Yahoo Auctions.
I am set up to pay via Paypal, Billpoint & Yahoo Direct. (verified)
Am I automatically set up to receive funds?
Do I need to do anything special before I sell items?
Some auctions read that the seller is not responsible for lost shipment if buyer does not purchase insurance. My understanding is this is not correct. What's the real scoop and what experiences have you had in this area?
Anything else I should know?
TIA!:)

If have registered on Paypal, then you are ready to receive funds!

My opinion is that the seller is responsible for getting the item TO the buyer. Just like the buyer is responsible for getting the payment TO the seller. If the payment gets lost in the mail, then the seller expects the buyer to track the payment down, cancel the payment, and resend another one. They don't just say: Oh well - your loss! I get insurance on EVERY package. I have only had to file one claim, but think the insurance is still worth it. I think it also makes it less likely for buyers to lie that they never got a package since they have to sign and file an official form with the post office to collect their claim.

I have seen auctions that state it is at the buyers own risk if they don't purchase the insurance. I am not sure if the seller still has any liability. I've only had 1 buyer really not want the insurance, so I asked them to mail me a letter stating that they were declining insurance at their own risk. They changed their mind and said to insure the package!

I don't insure packages unless the customer requests it. I sell quite a few low-end items and most people balk at paying $1.10 additional on a $5.00 item. I've been lucky and have had only one item broken. I offered a refund but the customer actually only wanted part of the item anyway--and that wasn't broken. Go figure!

I do spend the .40 for delivery confirmation. You would not believe the number of packages that went missing prior to my using the DC! Now, if a package is reported missing I only have to look at the USPS site, type in the confirmation number and find out where the package is. I haven't had a single package missing since I started using it! I do not charge my customer for this as it's really for my own use, and I won't even consider sending a package without it!

Selling on eBay is a lot of fun and a LOT of work. Good luck!

Ibthought you could only use delivery confirmation on Priority and Media mail--?:confused:

Beware of using BillPoint as a seller. Go to the Ebay messabe boards and check it out. Many sellers are disgusted with this service! I know it took me almost 2 weeks to get my money. BillPoint has no phone number you can call and talk to anyone...just email. I kept getting the standard response (thanks for your inquiry...we are looking into the problem) I would never use them again as a seller!

This is my experience with a seller who claimed no responsibility on uninsured items: I never received a package, so he promised to send it again. I did not get it the second time, so I asked for a refund. He started to ignore my e-mails. I tried Square Trade (you can only do it a month after the closing date of the auction), waited two weeks, the person did not even want to mediate. I filed a fraud claim with the USPO. It took a month to get a letter telling me to wait 45 days for a response from the seller. The time was up and I got none, so I sent a letter back telling the USPO that the seller did not contact me. After I sent it, I got the money order from the seller, not reimbursing my shipping fees. Then, two weeks later, I got a note from the PO responding to my second letter, telling me that it was a civil matter and I'd have to take the person to court to resolve it. The longevity of the whole deal lasted over four months.

Bottomline? The seller may not be responsible for the loss of your items in the mail. If you want further action, you have to take him to court, there's only so much the fraud investigation agencies can do. Use your credit card and leave the investigation up to them. They'll reimburse your fees without a headache.

I started selling some of my knick knacks on ebay recently. What aggravates me is all the buyers who slack off on their payments. Well... *someone* on this side feels like slacking off on the shipping ;)

Wanda

Luv2Roam--You're right, delivery confirmation cannot be used with first class mail (unfortunately). I use only priority mail--except for the few books I've sold. The post office delivers the priority boxes and mailing labels to my door. The best part is they don't cost anything (well, technically, I suppose the cost is absorbed into the shipping charges).

kristikae--I agree with the feelings about BillPoint. If my customers didn't ask for it, I wouldn't even use it. I hate not having control over the money in my account. I can't figure out why it takes so long for an electronic transfer. Now PayPal is another story. I have their debit card and can get funds from my account at any time!

Humpbacks1962--I hate to hear things like this. It makes selling so much more difficult for the good sellers when we have to overcome the things bad sellers do! But, don't feel that you're alone. I had a problem with a seller to the tune of about $500.00! It still hasn't been resolved and probably never will be. Unfortunately, it was a very expensive lesson.

All of my other transactions have been perfect! I've had a few people who've not paid and in nearly two years of selling, only one bad check (that was made good). I guess I've been lucky. My customers are the best.

You may want to take a look at the eBay message boards. There's a lot of stupid talk, but a lot of very good information as well. I learned a bunch when I first started by visiting there and I drop by once in a while to do a little "research."

Good luck and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter