Question regarding the Gatwick Express

crazymama

DIS Veteran
I know that this train runs every 30 minutes and it is cheapest to buy the tickets ahead of time but I have what is perhaps a silly question. When you buy a ticket in advance are you committed a particular departure time? I ask because I need to get into London as quickly as possible after we land but don't know how soon I can get to the train based on the possibility of flight delays or massive Customs hold ups. Does the ticket you buy cover a window of departure time or do you have to commit to one departure time. I hope that makes sense? Thank you very much!

Yes with advance tickets you are usually tied to a particular train. However often there isn't too much of a price difference for this service
What date are you going and roughly what time?
Advance tickets do sell out and so you are not guaranteed one anyhow.

Ive just done a dummy booking using a date at the end of this month and it gave 2 options - advance ticket at £12 and an Anytime ticket at £19.90. The Advance ticket wasn't on the Gatwick express but the normal train but only took 3 minutes longer. I think for that small difference in price I would just get an anytime ticket so you can get the next train whether its a Gatwick Express or normal train

Yes with advance tickets you are usually tied to a particular train. However often there isn't too much of a price difference for this service
What date are you going and roughly what time?
Advance tickets do sell out and so you are not guaranteed one anyhow.

Ive just done a dummy booking using a date at the end of this month and it gave 2 options - advance ticket at £12 and an Anytime ticket at £19.90. The Advance ticket wasn't on the Gatwick express but the normal train but only took 3 minutes longer. I think for that small difference in price I would just get an anytime ticket so you can get the next train whether its a Gatwick Express or normal train
Thanks for that input. So you are saying there are other train options other than the Gatwick Express? Sorry I am so clueless! I like the anytime option!

Yes have a look at this website - Journey planner page.
Put in Gatwick airport as your starting point and London as destination and it will give you options including prices.
It only gives info about 12wks in advance

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

Most trains from Gatwick (including the Express) go to Victoria Station but there are some go to other stations in London including St Pancras so depending on where you are heading this might be a better option

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!