Questions about European ABD excursions

MELSMICE

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be
What is the best kind of bag to carry our phones, credit cards and ID with us on our Grand Europe trip?

Obviously, we don’t want to get pick pocketed. Do we use a backpack lock if we carry around a backpack?

Disclaimer that I've never done an ABD but I lived in a city in Europe that had high traffic from Rhine river cruises. When I've visited other cities, I used a money belt and never had any issues. I've even brought my regular backpack and didn't have any problems but you need to extra careful in areas with large crowding such as city centers and tourist attractions like a castle or church. I do recommend that you do NOT put your wallet in your pockets. Also I don't know if ABD trips give out lanyards to wear like the cruises do but I would recommend taking them off. I didn't see people get robbed all the time but I did see one regular that would hang out near the port and try to rob people.

Last edited:
I personally would never carry a backpack, just because you have no way of knowing what is going on behind you. A good pickpocket will unzip and dip into your backpack or slash the bottom without you even noticing it. A lock would certainly help a bit, as would not carrying your phones, credit cards and ID in it. I carry a small cross-body bag that sits in front of my body, that zips, and has a pocket where the zippered opening actually sits against my body, and I keep my credit cards & ID in that pocket. It's pretty hard to even get to. I am as vigilant as possible to make sure the compartments are zipped at all times. If I'm somewhere where I feel particularly vulnerable (big crowds, known for pick-pockets, etc) I have a pouch for ID & credit cards that goes around my neck under my shirt and bra. The phone I just try to shove deep into the main compartment, as I'm constantly using it now as my camera, and don't want to expose the credit cards & ID in order to pull the phone out.

Sayhello

I travel internationally yearly and only carry Pacsafe bags. I carry a Pacsafe backpack with lockable zippers on the plane. Once I get to the hotel, I switch to my Pacsafe crossbody bag with lockable zippers. As @sayhello said, I wouldn’t walk around town with a backpack unless it can‘t be avoided—too hard to see what’s going on behind you—a lot of sites don’t allow large bags in…you would need to check them. With my crossbody bag, I don’t worry too much because I keep the zippers locked at all times and my phone is in a zippered front pocket that would be obvious if someone was trying to mess with it. I also wear a money belt while I’m in transit to my destination so that all my cash isn’t in one place. I utilize the safe in the room and make sure I stay away from crowded areas as much as possible. I’ve never had an issue, but there are pickpockets in Europe (and everywhere) and they target tourists.

Try and avoid looking like a " USA Tourist " try and Blend in with the crowd

Avoid wearing Well known T shirts & baseball caps

Maybe Hard to do BUT USA people do stand out in a crowd

Accents are giveaway . And you can be spotted feet away

I agree with this. I also recommend not wearing shirts/hoodies with sports teams or university names. Europeans don't really wear graphic tee shirts so those stand out in a crowd a lot more. Also don't wear flip flops, especially on the cobblestone streets (yes, I did see this).

They are going to be traveling with a fairly large tour group, led by multiple Adventure Guides and a local Guide, and sometimes wearing Whisperers. Not looking like a tourist is going to be extremely hard. It's just best to carry your stuff as safely as possible and be careful and aware of your surroundings.

Sayhello

They are going to be traveling with a fairly large tour group, led by multiple Adventure Guides and a local Guide, and sometimes wearing Whisperers. Not looking like a tourist is going to be extremely hard. It's just best to carry your stuff as safely as possible and be careful and aware of your surroundings.

Sayhello
Agree-- we utilize the room safe and minimize what we walk around with. One credit card and some cash for bopping around, spare cards and majority of cash in the room safe.

We travel in Europe quite a bit. I have a Pacsafe purse that I wear cross body, with the outside pocket that I keep my phone in kept on the side against me. My purse is safety cone orange, so it stands out if someone were to grab it. I do also use a small backpack, but only to carry my jacket, water bottle, umbrella, and other things that are not valuable. I'm also fairly vigilant about my surroundings. I've never had a problem.

Thanks all. Neither of us wear graphic tees and we’ll be wearing sneakers so that’s a plus.

I’m going to check into the Pacsafe bags. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Last edited:
When I was living in city center in Stockholm, we could hear the loud Americans coming down our cobblestone street. Every culture is different and Americans tend to be out there and friendly. When we would be doing our daily shopping, we met many tourists from many different countries. I always learned something new from the visitors and respected the differences.

On a more amusing note- Americans were known for track suits, for pastel colors and bright jewel tones. Pink and purple were rarely seen even on most tourists, but US women were great fans. There was an affinity for sneakers and athleisure wear even when there was clearly no intention to be working out. Yoga pants worn for every occasion were also ubiquitous. As we say in the US these days- yoga pants don't lie. I heartily include myself in the "black yoga pants aren't hiding anything."

When I was in my early 20's and traveling the world with my best friend whom I adored, her uniform was pink sneakers, yoga style pants and zip hoodies. She said, "I don't care what I look like. I just want to be comfortable." No judgement but quite often a US comment. I did not find that opinion shared by most of the women that we saw in the large cities of Europe or Asia. Style trumped comfort, especially in Europe. I say, "To each his own." The most important thing in my opinion is that you be yourself and dress as you feel best suits you.

There is no city that I would not return to. That said, I am much more safety conscious now and do my research before traveling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter