Questions about Medication and food allowances when flying

Donald - my hero

<font color=blue>Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"
Getting ready to head south soon and I'm looking for help with what I can and can't take on the plane (both checked and carry-on) Flying on Air Canada

Medications & supplies -I believe that I can take anything that's legal in the USA in acceptable quantities for the length of our trip and the airlines will allow that as an extra bag. Any quantity of liquids beyond the what fits in the quart bag is fine so long as I mention it is medication (I'm talking about benadryl & gaviscon for food allergy reactions) Is this correct?

Food - I deal with numerous dietary restrictions, my list of safe foods is shorter than the ones I need to avoid. I'm not even sure that I'll be able to find some of my go to foods in the grocery stores in the WDW area and I'm extremely nervous about the different labelling requirements. Someone mentioned that if food is medically required it can also fall under the "free" baggage criteria? I will be taking the food anyways but if I can avoid paying for the danged suitcase that would be AWESOME!

Anyone know of a one-stop place to see what's allowed across the border food wise? I've checked all of my medications but it's the food that's questionable.

Last edited:
a medical bag can have NOTHING in it thats not medical or you will be charged by the airline. Not so much as a sock, book, or anything that is not medical in nature.
I'm still not sure if that means food that is safe for my allergies is considered Medical? It's not anything "special" and it's all been bought either in a grocery store or a Canadian website that specializes in natural foods (don't ship to the states or that would solve my problem!) My allergies are extensive so these foods are essential for me to take with me. I will pay for the bag if i have to but if I'm able to put all of my other Medical supplies and medications in the same bag it would be easier.

We manage severe food allergies and out of necessity, we always fly with safe-for-us food and epipens/inhalers, etc. in our carryon/personal bag (backpack). We never pack anything essential in our checked bag, for obvious reasons. We even pack homemade wraps/sandwiches and snacks so we would not have to rely on looking for something safe to eat once we arrive at the destination airport. We packed way too much safe snacks on our last trip, that we left most of it behind at the resort when we checked out. Plenty of space for souvenirs!

I've had family fly with a bottle of Benadryl and Epi-pen in carry on with no issues many times on many different airlines including Air Canada. Outside of and in addition to their regular TSA approved ziplock toiletry bag. No experience with multiple bottles of meds or with the food.

Have a good vacation! Its very much deserved. Safe travels. :grouphug:

A complicated topic.
Some reference resources which will be helpful; I highly suggest printing out the pages that have the most relevant info so you have it on hand in case it is needed.

Canadian Transportation Agency:
Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities Regulations Regulations https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/accessible-transportation-persons-disabilities-regulations
Travelling with Mobility Aids and other Assistive Devices : A Guide https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/publication/travelling-mobility-aids-and-other-assistive-devices-a-guide
Severe allergies: A Guide https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/publication/severe-allergies-a-guide

CATSA:
Medication and Medical Items https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/medication-and-medical-items

Special Needs: https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/special-needs
Key from the special needs CATSA page (I have added the bold):
"You can bring medical implants, mobility aids and assistive devices. They can be brought in addition to the two carry-on bag limit."

Carry-on or Checked: https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/carry-or-checked#carry-on

Air Canada carry-on baggage, see other special items / medication and medial/mobility devices: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/carry-on.html

Per AC's policy at that page:
The following items are allowed at all times, in addition to your carry-on allowance:
- Mobility aids (e.g. braces, cane, crutches, walker, communication device*) or other special need items
- Tools of any size which are required by a passenger with special needs who is travelling with a mobility aid
- Battery-powered medical equipment (such as CPAP and sleep apnea devices) and Personal Oxygen Concentrators
- Medication in its original, labelled container
- Syringes or hypodermic needles for personal medical use (e.g. Epipen), provided the needle guards are intact, and that they are accompanied by the prescription medication with a printed label identifying the medication name and the issuing medical office or pharmacy.
- Container carrying life sustaining items

==

Now to the complicated...
The medications, especially in original containers, should be fine. For the non-Rx liquid medications, the issue will be not having what may be considered an excessive quantity in the absence of a physician's note or prescription. FWIW, I have carried a bottle of cough syrup and antihistamine and some additional liquids for a medical device and not had an issue.

The key for liquid medications that are NOT in your 3-1-1 bag is you need to declare them to the screening official up front before they go through the screening machine. What I do is say "I have liquid medications that exceed the 3-1-1 rule; do you want me to put them in the tray or leave them in my bag" and then follow their direction. I keep them together in a double ziploc that is quickly accessible so they are easy to grab and put into the bin. The double ziploc protects from leakage and protects the bottles from the dirty bins.

With medical liquids I am almost always selected to go through additional screening, which involved at least a couple of: pat down, searching my carry-ons, and swabbing and/or scanning the liquid bottles. If they are going to search my bag or handle the medications/bottles, I ask them if they could please wear new gloves when they do so - only once have I had push back on that request, but even then they did change their gloves.

The food would be likely to be a challenge if you wanted to include it as being exempt form your carry-on allowance. IF it was actual medical food or you have a physician's letter or prescription, then you could show medical necessity. Without that you may end up in an argument over whether the food counts as "other special needs items"; and if you lose the argument than you are in a pickle of what to do with the food.

I always put food in my carry-on when crossing the border. I find it much easier when dealing with border officials if there are questions to be able to pull it out and show them then to have it in a checked bag somewhere off in the bowels of the airport. I also have a written list of all the food I have (including things like gum and mints and candy, those are food too!) which I include with my customs declaration (all food must be declared).

I have traveled various ways many times - with extra medical bags (carry-on and checked) and without. Let me tell you about the point I have come to now and why, and perhaps it can help inform your decision-making.
When I travel by air, at a minimum I am carrying on a carry-on and a personal item. I am also checking probably two bags. A chunk of all of that is medical items. I have found that while it is nice to be able to have my core medical items in their own exempt carry-on and then use the carry-on and personal item for mostly non-medical items, to be honest, it is a real pain to be carrying around three (or four, have done that once, do not recommend) items through the airports, onto the plane, etc, plus doing them plus the checked bags.

So, I ensure I have good travel insurance that covers me for interruption and baggage issues (delay, loss).

For carrying on: a personal item (currently a Pacsafe backpack that meets the smallest combined dimensions between Air Canada and WestJet); in that goes tablet, purse, phone, chargers, 2 Epipens (I also carry 2 on me with emergency allergy meds, and others are in the carryon), 3-1-1 and liquid meds, important documents, and some other key things.

And a hardside carryon with 4 spinner wheels that meets the smallest combined dimensions between AC and WJ. First an foremost this holds all medications (Rx and non-Rx), as well as electronic medical devices. It also holds the medical supplies I absolutely must have at destination (or there will be medical consequences) and cannot reasonably locate there nor improvise an alternative to. If there is room left, some non-medical items go in that bag, e.g. pair of underwear, socks, and a top, so I could change clothes. And the allergy-safe food I am bringing (note: I don't bring as much as I used to as I have identified some brands in the US that are safe for me, and come up with some solutions; plus when we visit WDW or DCL we don't need much of our own food, just a few snacks, plus food for the travel itself). If I have to for space reasons, three of the medical devices fit in a relatively small bag that I can carry on its own as a third item that would be only those medical devices.

The checked bags get all the normal stuff, clothes etc etc etc as well as the remaining medical supplies - the ones that I could replace at destination or improve an alternative for (though I would not be happy if they went on a little adventure without me!). If those bags go on an adventure, that is where the baggage insurance kicks in, as well as the airline compensation. Part of that plan means I have a list of EVERYTHING that goes in all the bags, which bag it was in etc. And I take pictures of the contents of the bags. And pictures of the bags themselves (so if one goes astray you can show the picture and go "it looks like this"). We also now have an Air Tag for each bag.

We tend to fly premium economy for the extra space, but the fare also includes two checked bags. And sometimes is not tha tmuch more than economy once you factor in that we would pay for roomer seats and checked bags anyway. But even if we wouldn't and went straight economy, the cost of a checked bag on AC is not too bad compared to some other airlines. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/checked.html#/

Finally, with regard to finding safe foods. Some of what I did is to first see if the foods I use here are available in the US. So something like Enjoy Life brand, yes; Ripple, yes; and it is the same product in both Canada and the US. That kind of information can usually be determined from the manufacturer's website or by reaching out to the manufacturer. Alternatives takes some digging. However, it is so much easier now with online shopping !! :-)

In the WDW area the goto stores I will look at to discover what options may be and availability are: Whole Foods, Publix (major grocery store), Target, Walmart, and Amazon Fresh. Some other places that are helpful are the Snack Safely site (two of my allergies are peanut and tree nut, so their list of pn/tn free foods gives me a starting point for some foods to see if they may be safe for my other allergies) and the Go Dairy Free site (same idea, as I am also allergic to milk).
I am stricter on my food choices when traveling than I am at home. So for example if I get bread, I want a product that is explicitly "free from dairy, nuts (tree nuts and peanuts)", while in Canada I am satisfied with bread that does not contain my allergens by ingredient and the company labels for "may contain" (including they just added may contain milk for some of their products due to a new shared line for those products... sucked because I can no longer have the products, but I appreciate the voluntary transparency). In the US it means the only bread options I get so far are GF/DF even though I don't need the GF, as I haven't found a non-GF bread that meets my critera and is safe. In Canada there is one brand of wheat bread I go with and I have several options within that brand.

If you want some help ID'ing some food options/alternatives, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to help.

Hope this helps !

SW

@Starwind
i have been waiting for your input, I was about 80% sure that you're another food allergy person and deal with other medical issues. I can't possibility express my level of gratitude for all you said!

I'm really struggling with this trip, we leave in 3 weeks and I'm barely prepared. Finally made some ADRs, park reservations (bought tickets for 2 after hours events to help me deal with crowds) I have 15 safe foods and about 2 pages worth of oh hell no foods. I took the past 3 years to work through an extensive elimination and reintroduction diet to sort out what's been making me so ill for so long. Working with an excellent allergist who gave me the DX of Eosinophilic Gastritis - I essentially end up with hives throughout my entire GI system, some reactions are immediate and I now carry epi-pens, others can take up to 2 weeks to manifest, some foods only bother me when pollen levels are high, cooked foods are ok but give it to me raw and my throat closes up. It's a challenge to shop, cook, eat and clean up and if hubby eats pork he needs to brush his teeth before he can kiss me 🤦‍♀️ but I've never been this healthy in my life!

I truly appreciate your detailed comments, we're in a holding pattern with my mom's health, she has a brain tumor and has been declared palliative long term care and we have no time-line to follow. At this point we're waiting for a bed to open up or for her to die (crass but the truth) not sure if the trip will happen, if we'll need to come home early or if this will drag on for months/ years at this point. I have zero brain capacity for the type of research I needed to do to safely travel with all of my new restrictions and you've helped me breathe a little easier ❤️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter