Questions about the Redline

GoofyforDisney3

DIS Veteran
I’m seeing some talk about taking the redline from / to USH and Hollywood area attractions. How safe is this for two females (me and DD17)? Is is only safe during certain times of the day? How long is the ride from Hollywood & Highland area to USH?

My dates are probably going to be May 20 to May 27. We are getting in around 1 pm, want to explore a little on day 1, hit up USH on day 2, explore a little more on day 3 before transferring to DL area that evening so we can hit the ground running on Saturday morning at DL. I know it may not be the best day doe DL crowdwise but flights and even hotel rates are making it be the best for me costwise.

Hi, I have been staying in the Hollywood area every June for the last number of years. I'm a solo female, well used to using public transport in multiple countries and I am very aware of personal safety.

The Red Line is one of my main transport options when I visit LA. I use the LA Tap card.

I only use pubic transport in daylight hours. I am usually back at my hotel around 7.30pm as it gets dark in June around 8pm.

From Hollywood and Highland Red Line Metro Station to Universal City Metro Station would be about 20 minutes. You then come up to ground level, cross the street and take the free shuttle bus up the hill to Universal City Walk and the park entrance.

I also use public transport to transfer from Hollywood to Anaheim.

Take the Red Line Metro to Union Station, about 35 minutes travel time. Then take Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train to Anaheim Artctic Station, travel time about 40 minutes. Then either UBER / LYFT or ART to your Anaheim hotel.

Some pointers for using public transport
  1. I keep my TAP card in a plastic pouch attached to a retractable belt clip which is attached either to my jeans belt or my bag. This way it is always to hand to Tap, you don't hold up the flow of traffic behind you and you look less like a tourist and more like a local.
  2. You only Tap to get on the underground train. When you exit, the barriers open automatically
  3. There are screens on each platform which will tell you the time and destination of the next train
  4. There can be some colourful characters and local"entertainment" on the trains. They are basically harmless, but its always best to not make eye contact and look bored, look out the window, etc, ie pretend to be regular commuters instead of excited tourists. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from anyone selling anything on the trains.
  5. Don't use your phone on the train. Again phones are easy targets for pick pockets. In the area I live, grab and run just as the train doors are closing is very common.
  6. Keep a hand on your bag, swing your backpack around to the front, etc etc when on the trains.
  7. Each station will be announced on the train and there are also route maps on the carriage walls, usually above the doors.
  8. There are escalators, elevators and stairs at the stations.

Hi, I have been staying in the Hollywood area every June for the last number of years. I'm a solo female, well used to using public transport in multiple countries and I am very aware of personal safety.

The Red Line is one of my main transport options when I visit LA. I use the LA Tap card.

I only use pubic transport in daylight hours. I am usually back at my hotel around 7.30pm as it gets dark in June around 8pm.

From Hollywood and Highland Red Line Metro Station to Universal City Metro Station would be about 20 minutes. You then come up to ground level, cross the street and take the free shuttle bus up the hill to Universal City Walk and the park entrance.

I also use public transport to transfer from Hollywood to Anaheim.

Take the Red Line Metro to Union Station, about 35 minutes travel time. Then take Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train to Anaheim Artctic Station, travel time about 40 minutes. Then either UBER / LYFT or ART to your Anaheim hotel.

Some pointers for using public transport
  1. I keep my TAP card in a plastic pouch attached to a retractable belt clip which is attached either to my jeans belt or my bag. This way it is always to hand to Tap, you don't hold up the flow of traffic behind you and you look less like a tourist and more like a local.
  2. You only Tap to get on the underground train. When you exit, the barriers open automatically
  3. There are screens on each platform which will tell you the time and destination of the next train
  4. There can be some colourful characters and local"entertainment" on the trains. They are basically harmless, but its always best to not make eye contact and look bored, look out the window, etc, ie pretend to be regular commuters instead of excited tourists. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from anyone selling anything on the trains.
  5. Don't use your phone on the train. Again phones are easy targets for pick pockets. In the area I live, grab and run just as the train doors are closing is very common.
  6. Keep a hand on your bag, swing your backpack around to the front, etc etc when on the trains.
  7. Each station will be announced on the train and there are also route maps on the carriage walls, usually above the doors.
  8. There are escalators, elevators and stairs at the stations.
Very good recommendations-a few tips like yours can dramatically reduce the risk of theft.

I was on an overly packed subway car outside the US and my computer bag got shifted to my back. When I arrived at an office I found that my laptop had been slipped from my bag. It was likely a group of people working together. I felt like an idiot.

Very good recommendations-a few tips like yours can dramatically reduce the risk of theft.

I was on an overly packed subway car outside the US and my computer bag got shifted to my back. When I arrived at an office I found that my laptop had been slipped from my bag. It was likely a group of people working together. I felt like an idiot.

thanks, and sorry to hear about your laptop.

Yes many times the opportunist pickpockets will work together. They can be very slick and you wouldn't notice what they are doing.

Some more tips
  • If I have an over the shoulder or cross body bag, I make sure to only use zip fastening bags. The clasp or popper bags are far too easy for sticky fingers to dip into.
  • I also make sure to keep the zipper at the front of my body, and whenever I can, I actually rest my hand ontop of the closed zipper.
  • I also split up my valuables, the 3 most important items, keys, money, phone are never all together in my bag. Depending on the day, what I'm doing and what I am wearing, I use a combination of cross body bag, underclothes money belt, zipped inside pockets, retractable belt clasp or lanyard.
  • I don't walk around with my phone or camera in my hand, and I would never have a camera on a neck strap.

I've been on the NYC subway pretty late at night and never was that concerned, but it's good to know this is a fairly safe option then. I'm a firm believer in taking necessary precautions and blending in with the locals. Thanks for the advise! I'll put it on my maybe list and keep it in mind when looking for my hotel.

The trip from Hollywood Highland Station to Universal City Station is only 5 mins at most.

As for safety, you should be fine. The stations are wide open and well lit up and for public transit, clean. The Hollywood stations are always busy with tourists and have regular police patrols, so you won't be alone

For a NYC subway vet, the LA subway will see quaint. We have a big police presence in stations and cars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!