Questions: when to provide AP to get APH rate, and most economic upgrade

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Currently staying at HRH from March 21 - 23. Right now I have a 3 park, park to park, promo tickets (3 parks for price of 2). I’ve confirmed with customer service that I will be able to upgrade this promo ticket to one of the AP options , and now trying to find the most economic upgrade. I’m unlikely to return to USO the rest of the year.

March 21 and 22 are concert nights at US so if electing to upgrade on either of those dates, I would need to upgrade to a 3 park Power pass at least. I also debated a cheaper option of upgrading to a 2 park power pass and buying a stand alone VB ticket.

however the most economic option would me for me to use my ticket on the 21st and 22nd to get into USF, IOA and VB , and then upgrade to a 3 park seasonal pass on the 23rd which is not a concert date and thus not a blackout date. this would work only if HRH allows me to hold off on producing the AP untilmy checkout day.

looking on the boards there seems to be consensus that the front desk will not ask for the AP at checkin, but I don’t see how late they will wait to show the AP to them to ensure I pay the APH rate.

Any thoughts?

Your final bill is ran during your last night at the hotel
You would need to talk to someone at the front desk for any adjustments on your bill before you check out and leave the hotel

When you check in tell them
that you’re upgrading and ask when they need to see the AP. They’ll tell you. Easypeasy and exactly what I did the first time I had an AP.

You are not to worry about this any longer. :)

You may face resistance attempting to upgrade a three park ticket to a two park AP.
The OP indicated they'd either buy a separate VB ticket for their VB day or would upgrade to a 3-park AP. It does not seem that they intend to try to do a 2-park AP if they've already used their ticket to access VB.

The OP indicated they'd either buy a separate VB ticket for their VB day or would upgrade to a 3-park AP. It does not seem that they intend to try to do a 2-park AP if they've already used their ticket to access VB.

Yes that's right. Guest services confirmed that If I decide to use my existing 3-pass park to get into Volcano, I would have to upgrade to a 3-park AP. However, if i buy a separate VB ticket (and using my existing pass just to get into USF and IOA but not VB), then I would upgrade to a 2-park AP.

When you check in tell them
that you’re upgrading and ask when they need to see the AP. They’ll tell you. Easypeasy and exactly what I did the first time I had an AP.

You are not to worry about this any longer. :)

I overthink things so bare with me 🙂... if I use my existing 3-park, park to park pass to get through the USF gates on a concert night, and then upgrade to a Seasonal Pass once I'm already in the actual USF park, will I be allowed to take Hogwart's Express to go into IOA?

Yes that's right. Guest services confirmed that If I decide to use my existing 3-pass park to get into Volcano, I would have to upgrade to a 3-park AP. However, if i buy a separate VB ticket (and using my existing pass just to get into USF and IOA but not VB), then I would upgrade to a 2-park AP.
That is very interesting. During September 2019, we upgraded three park tickets to APs and were told by various GS and ticket desks that a three park ticket could only be upgraded to a three park AP, even though we had not visited VB. Initially the UOR desk within HRH said that it could be done, but not by him and then we asked at the parks (and in the parks😂) on a few different days and each time we were given a resounding ‘No’. We didn’t ever visit VB.
Good luck. I hope that you are more successful than me.

Last edited:
Yikes. Thanks for the heads up.
I have someone in writing (actually email) from Guest services that I would be able to upgrade to a 2 park AP. Hopefully that will count for something !

I would take GS' reply with a lot of caution.
I could show you so many emails I exchanged back and forth with them where they basically gave inaccurate, or downright wrong information ... up to a point they felt the need to compensate me for the confusion it caused.

As the other poster said, policy seems to be that a 3 parks ticket NEEDS to be upgraded to a 3 parks AP, regardless if it was used at VB or not

If you get a standalone VB ticket and still get told you need to upgrade to 3 parks AP, that's $70 down the drain

I would upgrade to AP before purchasing the VB ticket, in case you're not allowed to upgrade to 2 parks AP

even having a printout of a GS email might not do any good. The team member might just tell you were given inaccurate information and be very apologetic about it, but that's it

Now one thing is to be considered. A 3 parks AP is $99 more than a 2 parks AP (full price) that's less than 2 visits at VB.
Depending on how you see things regarding VB, you may take this opportunity to pop by VB a couple of times, be it for a couple of hours, and take full advantage of having unlimited access due to having a 3 parks AP

Update: The most recent response from Guest Services is that my promo ticket can not be upgraded to ANY AP regardless of 2 or 3 park. As I get a different GS rep each time via email, I'm not relying on this information but it goes to show that there is no consistent response as many have already said.

I've replied back and asked them to come to some sort of consensus. Will see where/how that goes.

Update: The most recent response from Guest Services is that my promo ticket can not be upgraded to ANY AP regardless of 2 or 3 park. As I get a different GS rep each time via email, I'm not relying on this information but it goes to show that there is no consistent response as many have already said.

I've replied back and asked them to come to some sort of consensus. Will see where/how that goes.

People have been upgrading those tickets for a year now with no issues. Unless policy has changed, and it likely has not, you fill be fine.

The promo tickets that cannot be upgraded are the complimentary tickets that you get from timeshare presentations, Universal employees, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!