Quick Service advice for type 1

TennesseeGirl

Mouseketeer
I'm planning ahead for meals for ds. We aren't going to do any table service meals - only qs. I've noticed that most of what I think he'd like include sides I'd like him to stay away from. Has anyone had luck substituting high carb sides for something like green beans or a salad? Thanks!!

To answer your question I believe they will.

Now for how I really think you should do this. Let him eat as if he did not have type 1. would your restrict his dated at all? People with type 1 can eat what ever they want ( Ok maybe when they are very hight and are not sure why might not be the best time to eat 5 cookies,) with all the walking excitement I have a hard time staying above 100 let alone 70 and this is what a lot less insulin, not bolusing for meals, So with this said I would let him eat what he wants and just cover it ( I hope you are doing an I to C) also if he is newly DX I would talk to his dr about this trip and ask them if you should changehis does due to all the walking excitment and such.

another note bring extra of everything test strips, whatever you use to treat lows, Extra

I totally agree with the previous poster. My sons first trip after diagnosis with type 1 he took no insulin ( still honeymoon phase) because he kept going so low. While I don't really suggest that, my son now cuts his bolus and basal in 1/2 on park days because of the extra activity and such. Even at home my son eats as if he did not have type 1 except for a few exceptions. Please talk to your pediatric endocrinologist or dietitian for some advice specific to your DS

You may be able to substitute, but only if the other item is on the menu. CS locations are more limited in what modifications are possible; TS usually has more options with which to work. You could also ask that they leave off the high carb item or a smaller serving.

But I also agree with others that some extra carbs are not likely to be a problem due to all the walking, heat and excitement of days in the parks. Be sure to check his sugar frequently and carry plenty of quick-sugar snacks or glucose tabs. Plan to pack at least 3x your usual supply of testing supplies.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm planning ahead for meals for ds. We aren't going to do any table service meals - only qs. I've noticed that most of what I think he'd like include sides I'd like him to stay away from. Has anyone had luck substituting high carb sides for something like green beans or a salad? Thanks!!
is what you are looking to sub with on the menu with another item? if not on menu most likely it will not be able to be subbed. my guess that would include salads if they only have large meal sized salads not small side salads

OP, your son could also just eat a little of the side, instead of all of it. As others have stated, the physical activity at WDW tends to lower blood sugar levels for type 1.

This is going to sound weird but he does not need insulin yet although his endo is thinking about having him start soon. We caught it really early and quite by accident - sooo - for now we control it with diet. Here lately he's had some pretty bad numbers after eating things like pizza - but it always comes back down. His numbers stay in a somewhat normal range when he lays off the carbs. We are going in January so I don't know where he'll be with it. Hopefully still not needing insulin but he's having his a1c checked today to see if he might need a little insulin to help out.

But anyway - he really wants a dole whip and a mickey bar and some other things like that so I'd rather let him eat those things and skip stuff he doesn't even want. I'm surprised at how often either fries or mashed potatoes are the side item.

Thanks for your replies!

This is going to sound weird but he does not need insulin yet although his endo is thinking about having him start soon. We caught it really early and quite by accident - sooo - for now we control it with diet. Here lately he's had some pretty bad numbers after eating things like pizza - but it always comes back down. His numbers stay in a somewhat normal range when he lays off the carbs. We are going in January so I don't know where he'll be with it. Hopefully still not needing insulin but he's having his a1c checked today to see if he might need a little insulin to help out.

But anyway - he really wants a dole whip and a mickey bar and some other things like that so I'd rather let him eat those things and skip stuff he doesn't even want. I'm surprised at how often either fries or mashed potatoes are the side item.

Thanks for your replies!
Not needed insulin at DX is not that uncommon at lest for preteens and up I would talk to his endo before you go.

I remember those first few years and they are scary so my heart goes out to you. Diabetes has come a long way from what it was and while insulin seems like the awful ending, it has allowed my son to eat like any other kid his age. He does get a funny look when he asks for diet soda ( he is 19 now 6'3 165 pounds soaking wet) and he still spikes a little after pizza but that doesn't keep him from being able to eat it. Honestly, talk to your Endo, ( hope you have a great pediatric Endo like we do) but exercise and the adrenaline from the rides really does help burn off those extra carbs. Good luck. I know you will have a great time.

Just a few other things ( and I hope this make since)

Like I said before treat him like he did not have type 1 and what I mean by this is let him eat what you would have let him eat if he did not have type 1 would you problem let him have a dole whip but not 5, more then likely he will need insulin soon Do not make this a bad thing it is just that he does not make any and so he has to take it now. There is a lot of bad things that can and do happen when you try to hold things back from kids like them trying to sneak the forbidden thing then hatting the fact they have type1. ( this is why I am saying to treat him like he did not have type 1) teach him now that he can and eat whatever he wants he just has to ( when he starts insulin) giving the correct amount

There is a really good conference down in Orlando every summer ( over or near the 4 of July weekend) called friends for life they offer scholarships to go. I would highly recommend going ( like highly recommend) it is truly amazing and one of the best things you can do. You will and he will learn so much ( it is held at Disney and a hotel across from Disney and I think when it is at Disney they go to Hollywood studio for the teen that do the teen sessions)

Thanks for your replies - it is actually making feel less nervous. I think his endo is great but she's the only one we've seen so what do I know? She has type 1 herself and always asks him if he is getting to eat what he wants. She really worries about him missing food that he likes.

I have a teenage step-cousin with type 1 who has recently had to visit the emergency room a few times this year --- they are figuring out that she is "cheating" a lot - hiding candy wrappers under the table so noone knows.

I have a teenage step-cousin with type 1 who has recently had to visit the emergency room a few times this year --- they are figuring out that she is "cheating" a lot - hiding candy wrappers under the table so noone knows.

This is one reason why I would not substitute things that he eat because he has type 1

but saying before you order let's see what your BG is. ( I do not even like to use the word test and can cause some anxiety in some people) you are 300 ( whatever the number it is just a number to tell you if you need to do something or not, making a big deal will just get him to lie to you) what would do you think we should do and work through the steps ( if need be) see if he missed insulin? did you miss count carbs? There are 100 different reasons why. soon he will be able to do these things on his own

This is one reason why I would not substitute things that he eat because he has type 1

but saying before you order let's see what your BG is. ( I do not even like to use the word test and can cause some anxiety in some people) you are 300 ( whatever the number it is just a number to tell you if you need to do something or not, making a big deal will just get him to lie to you) what would do you think we should do and work through the steps ( if need be) see if he missed insulin? did you miss count carbs? There are 100 different reasons why. soon he will be able to do these things on his own
You are absolutely correct!! We have never held food back from our son and he doesn't "cheat" because there is no need. You eat what you want and just cover for it with the correct amount of insulin. But if you withhold food, they will. We know other T1D that make their blood sugars go up and down on purpose just for attention and after a while they become so uncontrolled. Some of the best advice our Endo told us was to treat him like a normal kid, like he didn't have diabetes, so that's what we do. Keeping his carbs away will not avoid the inevitable insulin injections. listen to your Endo, and make sure you go through all the education. There are many people that will tell you horror stories but that doesn't have to be your story. My son has been controlled for 5 years is a college athlete and has many friends. I don't ask what his blood sugar is anymore. If he is having an issue he asks my advice. Hope I didn't cross the line, you are his mother and know him best. This is just something I am very passionate about

If he eats kids meals, almost all the QS places offer options of Danimals and apple slices instead of fries. I don't know if those are better options or not, since I know nothing about Type 1. I don't remember ever seeing side salads as an option at any QS place, even for adult meals. Not saying they don't exist, but can't remember ever seeing them.

Danimals and apple slices are full of simple sugars - and not much protein in the yogurt, IMO. The fries will have complex carbohydrates. Not sure which is better for a diabetic - simple or complex carbs, which responds better to insulin, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter