Quick trip options from Indiana?

Since this is the budget board, I'll second the above recommendation for St. Louis.
There is so much to do there that is free:
  • the zoo (little chilly in January!)
  • the science museum,
  • the art museum,
  • the Arch (riding to top costs $)
  • history museum,
  • Anheuser-Busch Brewery tours,
  • Cahokia Mounds (nearby Illinois),
  • Cathedral Basilica (omg gorgeous!).
  • I think the Wild Bird Sanctuary is also free, but I've never been to that.
The City Museum is amazing for your kids age. I think it's $12 now;
and there is snow tubing outside the city.

Thanks for the ideas. We actually used to live in IL close to St. Louis, so have done almost all of that (several times), lol. I'm thinking Atlanta, Gatlinburg, or Cincinnati sound like good options. Thanks everyone for the input!

I can see Cincinnati from my kitchen window, so if I can help, let me know.

Check out my side of the river too. Newport, KY has an aquarium that is really nice. Bellevue, KY is an old river town that has been revitalized with little shops and restaurants.

Downtown Cincinnati has an outdoor ice skating rink on fountain square. It stays open till February as long as the weather stays cold enough.

The museum center at union terminal has several museums, an IMAX, and special displays. However, it is going through extensive renovations right now. The children's museum is open during the process as well as the special display area. I'm not sure when it will be finished.

There is a street car in Cincinnati that takes you to several places. Findley market is a neat place to go.

As a Hoosier myself, I would never make driving travel plans that time of year. You just never know about the weather and your whole travel plan could be ruined. Would your kids really be ok not getting gifts on Christmas? I understand a Disney vacation would be huge and no question about it being ok as the only gift. I just don’t see kids being happy with “Hey, we’re going to Wisconsin!”

As a Hoosier myself, I would never make driving travel plans that time of year. You just never know about the weather and your whole travel plan could be ruined. Would your kids really be ok not getting gifts on Christmas? I understand a Disney vacation would be huge and no question about it being ok as the only gift. I just don’t see kids being happy with “Hey, we’re going to Wisconsin!”

I thought this too. Even for a Disney World/cruise trip. More so if we just did that.
Moms know their kids best though.:goodvibes

Last edited:

My family (except DD an I) hate Disney. When we have relatives visit and I mention them going to Disney with us, they flat out refuse (DH, DS25, DS23, DS15). We are doing maybe one or two gifts. Spending Christmas Eve at Gaylord Palms and going to Vegas over MLK weekend which is a few days before DS15 16th Birthday. I think this is better than presents. DS15 isn’t exited for Vegas yet and wants to go back to New Orleans instead. But then again he didn’t want to go to New Orleans the first time either.

I also buy for my kids throughout the year. I can’t/don’t buy and then hide our items away for Christmas. They get it when I buy it. So there is anything they need or want for. I know some buy in JULY and hide till Christmas. That’s six months. LoL. Would never work in my home.

I think a family getaway is fabulous! The holidays should be more about spending quality time together.

Last edited:
My family (except DD an I) hate Disney. When we have relatives visit and I mention them going to Disney with us, they flat out refuse (DH, DS25, DS23, DS15). We are doing maybe one or two gifts. Spending Christmas Eve at Gaylord Palms and going to Vegas over MLK weekend which is a few days before DD15 16th Birthday. I think this is better than presents. DS15 isn’t exited for Vegas yet and wants to go back to New Orleans instead. But then again he didn’t want to go to New Orleans the first time either.

I also buy for my kids throughout the year. I can’t/don’t buy and then our items away for Christmas. They get it when I buy it. So there is anything they need or want for. I know some buy in JULY and hide till Christmas. That’s six months. LoL. Would never work in my home.

I think a family getaway is fabulous! The holidays should be more about spending quality time together.
I agree. With extended family buying (if they do in your family, OP) the kids get so much anyway. When my son was about 10 or so, I took him to great wolf lodge for his Christmas gift but we went in January over MLK Day. I gave him a stuffed wolf and a tee shirt to open on Christmas. He got things from other people so he was fine with it. And its not like it snows here every day during winter. If the forecast looks bad, you can cancel and reschedule. The news usually makes such a big deal when they predict bad weather, you should be able to plan around it.

Totally agree with avoiding driving north that time of year. Weather can be unpredictable and we have been stuck in northern Ohio trying to get to family in PA on more than one occasion.

We are in Louisville so not too far away. Agree with others that Cincinnati is a great option with the Newport Aquarium for kids. Also, Nashville and the Gaylord Opryland hotel is a great trip we did a few years back and was fun. The hotel itself has lots of activities.

I had looked at Wisconsin Dells to go tubing and for the waterparks, but I wondered if any one had any other favorites for a short, affordable trip away?

If you do decide to go to the Dells, try Wilderness Lodge for your age kids. My tween greatly prefers Wilderness over Great Wolf (we haven't done Great Wolf in the Dells, but I understand they're pretty similar everywhere). He really liked the slideboarding (think video game on a water slide). And they have 3 indoor water parks so lots of variety and the space to have some more thrilling slides. Never been to Kalahari, but from the descriptions it sounds better for tweens as well. Great Wolf was fun for my younger one, but not so much for the tween.

I agree. With extended family buying (if they do in your family, OP) the kids get so much anyway. When my son was about 10 or so, I took him to great wolf lodge for his Christmas gift but we went in January over MLK Day. I gave him a stuffed wolf and a tee shirt to open on Christmas. He got things from other people so he was fine with it. And its not like it snows here every day during winter. If the forecast looks bad, you can cancel and reschedule. The news usually makes such a big deal when they predict bad weather, you should be able to plan around it.

The kids wouldn't go without anything on Christmas. My parents, brother, DH's parents, and sister all buy for them. We would also get them a few small things (DD some art supplies and DS a few lego sets). Our thing is we have given them big gifts and done big Christmas, but they don't really want for anything. It then becomes buying them gifts just so they have gifts instead of having something they will use or need. That's why we thought building memories would be a better option than stuff.

DH and I took a trip to the Dells with another couple a few years ago in January (and stayed at Glacier Cannon). We know weather can be questionable in the midwest, and that's why I came here to get other options. We had a ball at the Dells (we also had a fairly cheap condo so wasn't stuck in a hotel room on top of each other), but we are researching Cincinnati and Gatlinburg as options now after reading other people's recommendations.

We're trying to put Christmas money toward trips for our kids too!
You have some great ideas here, but consider also Chattanooga or Memphis. Lots of fun things in both cities. Williamsburg, Savannah or Charleston are also great places to visit but might be a touch longer.
You're probably aware but we didn't find Mammoth to be worth visiting in the winter months. We tried last year during Christmas break and there was only one guided tour per day being offered, and no other activities.

We live north of Indy and have you thought of going to downtown Indy for a trip. While there isn't as much to see and do in the winter as there is in the summer, its still lots of fun. We would go for three day weekend lots of times when the kids were younger. The Childrens Museum, the Imax, the State Museum, lots of hotels, restaurants and shopping.

When my son and nephew were around your kid's ages on spring break when we had a small budget (no Disney Trip), we did a little two night / two day stay in Memphis, and I couldn't believe how much fun we all had and how big a hit it was with the boys. They had been to impressive castles and things like that before, but OMG they had never really seen 70s décor and so much enjoyed seeing Elvis's home (not a huge place for anything, but they were much more into that than other home or castle tours they had been. I got such a kick out of their enthusiasm for everything). They also were Elvis music fans -- had been introduced to that by the Disney movie Lilo and Stich, and my nephew in particular after that started listening to some Elvis music. We saw an Elvis impersonator and did the Sun Studios tour too.

Indianapolis is you haven't been could be fun too.

Sounds like you are leaning toward an indoor waterpark place which your kids would probably really enjoy also (you know your kid's best).

Or what about Orlando at an offsite condo with resort activities and SeaWorld/Aquatica -- $120 for a combo ticket - a day at each place, or $170 for a 14 day unlimited SeaWorld/Aquatica/Busch Gardens ticket depending on how many days and if you are up for a day in Tampa. There is also a $99 unlimited SeaWorld days pass, and a three park -- one day at each pass (somewhere in between the $120 and $170 price pp. I know you said you did Disney, Universal, and a Disney cruise, but not sure if you've done the great SeaWorld family of parks. There are lots of great deals for offsite condos in Orlando -- If I'm staying for a week Fri-Fri, Sat-Sat, Sun-Sun from timeshare owners on TUG2.net and Redweek.com. We have done many very economical Orlando vacations that we all really enjoyed over the years.

I’m from Terre Haute so I’ve done much of what’s mentioned. Been to GWL a few times and this last trip was a three day trip and it was just okay.

Downtown Indy is so expensive!

Branson... glad I went but won’t go back.

I feel like Gatlinburg will be similar so not in a hurry to do that.

Chattanooga and Rock City was interesting but not in winter.

If your heart is set on a water park I would suggest GWL. If not and I was using this as a gift, I would be looking for cheap to Clearwater and go to the beach.

I'm from Southern Indiana as well, and last month my husband and I visited the Cincinnati Zoo. Nashville is very fun, we went to see an ice show at Gaylord and it was about Rudolph. This year I think it's the Peanuts?

I'm from Southern Indiana as well, and last month my husband and I visited the Cincinnati Zoo. Nashville is very fun, we went to see an ice show at Gaylord and it was about Rudolph. This year I think it's the Peanuts?
The Cincinnati Zoo has plenty of indoor exhibits to make a trip on a cold day worth while.

A couple tips on Gatlinburg as my family visits there 3-4 times/year. Ober Gatlinburg might be fine for tubing, but if your wanting any skiing...go elsewhere! We've been skiing in different places throughout the midwest and Ober was by far our least favorite. It was overcrowded with first time skiiers (tourists) and super icy. We went over Presidents Day and it was too warm to keep the man made snow the right temperature. Once at Ober, there is skiing, tubing, and ice skating.

Wild Bear Falls waterpark might be ok for a day visit, but I'm afraid your kids might be too old to enjoy much time there. There is one tube slide and one body slide. That's it for slides they would enjoy. My 4 and 6 year olds love it, but I don't think it would keep tweens happy for long. There is a much larger water park in Sevierville which has more slides and a surfing simulator ride. You might want to check that out. We've been there once, but our kids were too short for much of the stuff and there is a lot more to do when their outdoor slides are open.

Otherwise, you have dinner shows throughout Pigeon Forge and a large outlet mall. There is the aquarium in Gatlinburg. A day trip through the National Park would also be fun!

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't want to go to FL as we vacation there often and the beach will be too cold to swim and enjoy (and I just find it depressing to look at a beach when its cold lol). We have no interest in skiing....DH and I gave it a go and it was most defiantly a no go. It looks like we are going to lean towards Gatlinburg or Cincinnati.

Be careful if you choose to rent a chalet/cabin in Gatlinburg. We have gone over the MLK weekend a few times. I usually wait until a few days before to book to check the forecast. Many won’t give refunds if the weather is nasty, and the roads up the mountains may not get cleared very well.

I’m surprised how many are from Louisville/Southern Indiana here!

My daughter and I were in French Lick last weekend. We had fun, but she’s 18. I don’t think I’d take,Little,kids there. I don’t think there is enough for them to do.

What about a trip to Chicago? You could even fly and take the Metra around town to avoid traffic. There’s a lot of indoor stuff to do there too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter