Racism

It really is. You simply disagree that the behavior is unacceptable. So no response is going to satisfy you.
No, I wanted a real-life example, not a fake one. Fake exaggerations are all too common and not helpful.

I was wondering about that comment, too. That's hard to imagine happening anywhere.

It's generally laid out in orientations and such, it's not something you'd say in a one-on-one conversation. (I should probably add that I also trend towards the most liberal areas within liberal areas via yoga, meditation, etc., so again, my viewpoint may be skewed.)

I appreciate the idea but I am already so introverted and self-conscious that I just end up sounding ridiculously awkward - I recently visited a new hairstylist who was clearly from another country and had a strong accent, and was like "So, I moved to this area. What about you, did you grow up here?", since I'm kind of programmed with this "Must not ask people where from!" idea, and I think she was like "Why? Why do I always get the crazy ones?". :rotfl:

This is nothing against HDDR or anyone who likes it at all. Its a fantastic show and the vast majority of Disney guests are nothing but wonderful. But anything 'country' oriented would very generally speaking appeal to Caucasians from the midwest/south more than others. And speaking as a minority myself, I would very generally assume I would be more likely to hear these types of comments when amongst large group of Caucasians from the south/midwest. That's probably the source of the OP's spouse's concern.
And that's a bad assumption to. I was born in the Appalachian Mountains and by religion I am Jewish and I have never heard anything from the people I was raised around other than an honest question "Is it OK to give you Christmas presents?".

This is nothing against HDDR or anyone who likes it at all. Its a fantastic show and the vast majority of Disney guests are nothing but wonderful. But anything 'country' oriented would very generally speaking appeal to Caucasians from the midwest/south more than others. And speaking as a minority myself, I would very generally assume I would be more likely to hear these types of comments when amongst large group of Caucasians from the south/midwest. That's probably the source of the OP's spouse's concern.
Aren’t you doing the exact same thing by stereotyping people from the South and Midwest? I had the good fortune to spend a week in Louisiana last year during Hurricane Irma. Our flight was canceled after a business conference and we ended up spending an additional five days. The people that I encountered were some of the kindest that I had ever met. People of all races had opened up their homes to those affected by Hurricane Harvey. I was worried about my father in law with dementia in Florida and every morning hotel staff and other guests would ask if I had heard anything yet. We were invited and attended the wedding of a lady I met at Starbucks. In the end I wasn’t upset about missing my Disney vacation but glad I got to meet and spend time with those lovely people from Louisiana. I would never assume that those people were more inclined towards racist comments than others. Racism isn’t owned just by caucasians. It’s owned by everyone.

Last edited:
And that's a bad assumption to. I was born in the Appalachian Mountains and by religion I am Jewish and I have never heard anything from the people I was raised around other than an honest question "Is it OK to give you Christmas presents?".
I can’t like this enough!

Aren’t you doing the exact same thing by stereotyping people from the South and Midwest? I had the good fortune to spend a week in Louisiana last year during Hurricane Irma. Our flight was canceled after a business conference and we ended up spending an additional five days. The people that I encountered were some of the kindest that I had ever met. People of all races had opened up their homes to those affected by Hurricane Harvey. I was worried about my father in law with dementia in Florida and every morning hotel staff and other guests would ask if I had heard anything yet. We were invited and attended the wedding of a lady I met at Starbucks. In the end I wasn’t upset about missing my Disney vacation but glad I got to meet and spend time with those lovely people from Louisiana. I would never assume that those people were more inclined towards racist comments than others. Racism isn’t owned just by caucasians. It’s owned by everyone.

I didn't say all or most, I just said more likely. I'm not saying people from the coasts are less racist. But people from more diverse areas are generally better at keeping their bigoted views to themselves.

So I have a mixed family and I know anytime you get alot of people in one place your bound to get some idiots but in our 4 trips to disney world weve only had one issue with a lady behind us saying "so were marrying gorillas now" at Disney Springs. Me and my wife laughed it off but this trip coming up weve booked Hoop de Du Revu and I was surprised when my wife asked me if we would be welcomed at the show. I think maybe the comment at Disney Springs has stuck with her. My plan is to go and enjoy the show no matter what but is there a higher chance of me setting us up for an issue at this show?

Wow, I cannot believe someone said that, how insane and disgusting... I'm very sorry you had to deal with that. I certainly hope you wouldn't have any issues at Hoopdeedoo but I wouldn't think someone would say that at Disney Springs either

This^^

There is racism and discrmination everywhere in our world. No matter how much we don’t want it, it will always exist.

What I don’t get is why people pride themselves on being confrontational. What would have been accomplished by saying anything back to that ignorant person in a place like WDW. It’s not gonna change the persons thought process or opinions. People who say crap like that are looking for a fight (either verbally or physically). Don’t give that to them. Don’t acknowledge that their opinion has any bearing on your life.
OP good for you on walking away and laughing it off. That persons opinion on your life is worth nothing. The hardest (and I believe bravest) thing to do in life is to know when to walk away.

OP also don’t assume that the theming of a place like HDDR would attract a ‘certain type of person’ or that the type of person that would go would treat you negatively.

I like to go to Disney World to get away from the world and be in the Disney bubble, especially in my profession that can be a bit stressful and full of negative people. That being said, people will still bring the unfortunate reality of the real world in to Disney. There's always that one idiot in the crowd being stupid or not paying attention holding everyone up that you roll your eyes at, but never say anything.....and that's the way it goes. But I probably would be confrontational about this. It's way out of left field to say that anywhere, never mind the happiest place on earth. The comment obviously is still on the mind of the OP, meaning that they didn't have the best experience at Disney. Everyone pays a lot of money to be there, so nobodies times should be affected in such a negative manner. I'd probably call them out, albeit maybe sarcastically, to make them uncomfortable at the very least. If you're going to dish out comments like that, you better be prepared to hear something back. The way I look at it is, if you're going to try to ruin my day or vacation for no good reason, I'll ruin yours and make you uncomfortable.

It's perfectly acceptable to throw shade at caucasians from the south/midwest!! Change some of the nouns and locations of your post, and there would be a riot on our hands.
Do you even get how close minded your post reads?

We're just a bunch of country bumpkins compared to ya'll better folk...

"But people from more diverse areas are generally better at keeping their bigoted views to themselves." :snooty:

It's perfectly acceptable to throw shade at caucasians from the south/midwest!! Change some of the nouns and locations of your post, and there would be a riot on our hands.
Do you even get how close minded your post reads?

We're just a bunch of country bumpkins compared to ya'll better folk...

"But people from more diverse areas are generally better at keeping their bigoted views to themselves." :snooty:

Guessing in your mind only some peoples and regions riot :scared:.
Thank you for showing who you really are.

Guessing in your mind only some peoples and regions riot :scared:.
Thank you for showing who you really are.

No actually, all should be upset if nouns and locations were changed!!
It's just ok to disparage whites these days!

But I'll put you on ignore, because your views are the one sided and hurtful ones!

This will be my last post on this topic. I’ve lived on both coasts but mainly in New England. It doesn’t get much more diverse than Boston and LA but some of the worst things that I’ve heard and encountered has been in those cities. It is just wrong to assume that people from the South and Midwest either have more bigoted views or are more free with expressing them. Stupid people come from all ethnicities and locations!

Last edited:

I didn't say all or most, I just said more likely. I'm not saying people from the coasts are less racist. But people from more diverse areas are generally better at keeping their bigoted views to themselves.

These two statements are honestly one of the worst I've read on the DIS and I've read some very openly out there type statements. Please reflect upon your words because something...is clearly showing..

No actually, all should be upset if nouns and locations were changed!!
It's just ok to disparage whites these days!

But I'll put you on ignore, because your views are the one sided and hurtful ones!
Should be but somehow consistently throughout this thread I've noted your abilty to deflect your own thoughts and insecurities on to others.
Glad I gave you the idea of ignoring:).

So I have a mixed family and I know anytime you get alot of people in one place your bound to get some idiots but in our 4 trips to disney world weve only had one issue with a lady behind us saying "so were marrying gorillas now" at Disney Springs. Me and my wife laughed it off but this trip coming up weve booked Hoop de Du Revu and I was surprised when my wife asked me if we would be welcomed at the show. I think maybe the comment at Disney Springs has stuck with her. My plan is to go and enjoy the show no matter what but is there a higher chance of me setting us up for an issue at this show?

OP I'm really sorry you experienced that. That is reprehensible behavior. I don't know how you laughed it off but kudos to you for that!

To answer your question no 1 venue will be any more than another. Terrible guest behavior can be found anywhere (as you found it at Disney Springs for example) though something like that is beyond terrible. Please go and enjoy your time both at HDDR and your trip in general and try to not dwell on it though I know that may be hard.

I didn’t take the question about HDDR as to the type of people who go there, but because it is a restaurant with antics where you might get teased.
IDK from what I understood the comment where the concern stemmed from was at Disney Springs and came from another guest, not a cashier, not a server, not an employee from an establishment there; again as far as I know as the OP used the words "a lady behind us".

So my assumption was they were concerned about other guests around them making some sort of same comment. Do guests at HDDR normally play antics with other guests at other tables? If not I'm going to assume they were worried about other guests at HDDR making similiar comments but assuming the venue had a higher chance of that happening.

If an employee of Disney were to make a comment anywhere near that, even as part of a place that has antics, I would assume they would be in deep deep trouble. However, guest behavior is not something that Disney can control in this context as once it's said it's said and Disney would have to deal with it after the fact.

This will be my lost post on this topic. I’ve lived on both coasts but mainly in New England. It doesn’t get much more diverse than Boston and LA but some of the worst things that I’ve heard and encountered has been in those cities. It is just wrong to assume that people from the South and Midwest either have more bigoted views or are more free with expressing them. Stupid people come from all ethnicities and locations!

I grew up in Appalachia and moved to an East Coast city as a young adult. It really is surprising how common misconceptions and stereotypes about my hometown area are among people in more urban areas, but, in a huge diverse country, I think some of that is inevitable. No one can be totally familiar with every area. My best friend is from Long Island and in the early days of our friendship she would often comment "I just can't believe you're from X!".

I do think there are some cultural differences between the areas but, people being people, it's probably a wash between the positive and the negative. I think more rural areas are often more community oriented, which can mean more distrust of outsiders, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with race. (These days, it mostly has to do with politics and to a lesser extent religion - one can belong to various religions depending on a person's culture, but I think there is still a preference that you belong to some religion. Atheism is still pretty distrusted, in my experience at least.) People where I live now are generally much more individualistic, which overall I prefer, but the shadow side to that can be self-absorption. In my hometown, I'm more likely to see parents being what I consider overly harsh with their children for acting up in public. In my current town, more likely I'd see someone having a meltdown because they suspect their latte contains a trace of gluten. Again, my view is that people are people and overall it's a wash.

Regarding the OP, though, I highly doubt they'd have more issues at a campground than anywhere else at Disney. My guess is that if there's any correlation between horrible comments and location at Disney, it has to do with where people are drinking the most (which might make sense for Disney Springs, actually.)

So how does that work? You say hello to someone who's just moved to town, ask where are they from, and then someone starts yelling at you?

"Meet someone who just moved to town and ask them where they're from" isn't really what that poster was meaning.

They're referring to questioning where someone is from in order to fit them into a category (racial, socioeconomic, etc) and then using that information to stereotype or make judgements about the individual.

And, at least in the situations I have witnessed, the recipient does not start yelling at the person. They just feel uncomfortable.

No, I wanted a real-life example, not a fake one. Fake exaggerations are all too common and not helpful.

Have you really never witnessed or experienced a minority being prodded repeatedly in a really awkward way for more information about their ethnicity? (The first half of that video is not an exaggeration at all. The second part was over the top and usually the recipient doesn't call them out on it.)

Here are a few different types of examples:

- I grew up in a relatively segregated area. It was common to overhear someone asking a person of color where they lived before deciding how to treat them. Ex. A black person may be received very differently whether they lived in the segregated town, whether they were an immigrant, or whether they lived in a "white" neighborhood. Similar scenario for Latinos (migrant workers and immigrants from different countries)

- My oldest daughter is white, but people find her ethnicity to be a bit ambiguous due to her name and a few physical features. She constantly receives the "Where are you from? (because I'm trying to figure out if you're white or not)" question. When she replies, "I was born in FL but grew up in NY" they will start in with the, "Well, where are your parents from?" Sometimes people will just flat out ask her what her ethnicity is and quite a few times have said "... because I know you're not white".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!