Rafiki's Planet Watch

What's going to happen to the animals that live there? Obviously, the more exotic animals are either going to move to another zoo, move to another place in the park or do more of a seasonal rotation, but what about the domestic animals? Hopefully, they're either allowed to live out the rest of their lives there or get adopted out to good homes.

The Disney Donkey can live into his or her 30's.

What's going to happen to the animals that live there? Obviously, the more exotic animals are either going to move to another zoo, move to another place in the park or do more of a seasonal rotation, but what about the domestic animals? Hopefully, they're either allowed to live out the rest of their lives there or get adopted out to good homes.

They will still be cared for by Disney.

Released into the wilds of downtown Orlando!!

That was a joke. I'm sad to see it go, along with so many of the educational attractions Disney once had.

They will still be cared for by Disney.

I would assume so, but it would be nice to have some official word when they officially announce the closure.

I'm still worried about the Donkey since last I remember they only had one. He'd probably be better off with the ponies at the ranch.

Omg, I am horrified by this news......this is my daughters favorite area in all the parks. She knows every one of the goats by name an appearance, along with all the sheep. Do you think they will move them over to the animal encounter at fort wilderness campgrounds? We have a trip in Nov, but we might make an emergency trip just to see "Tubbs" her favorite goat one more time. She is going to be devastated by this news......

I would assume so, but it would be nice to have some official word when they officially announce the closure.

I'm still worried about the Donkey since last I remember they only had one. He'd probably be better off with the ponies at the ranch.
I don't know we will get official closure from Disney will we? To date I don't think they have stated Stitch is closed, even though they have changed it to a meet and greet a few times. They don't always announce closures do they?

I don't know we will get official closure from Disney will we? To date I don't think they have stated Stitch is closed, even though they have changed it to a meet and greet a few times. They don't always announce closures do they?
Yeah I wouldn't expect anything.

One of my daughter's favorite memories was being able to see the vets work there in the a.m. We got to see a flamingo having a cyst removed on one of our first trips, and it was very cool for her, who already wanted to be a vet then, and is still planning on it now in HS. That was a unique opportunity for people to see something like that up close which will be a shame to lose. I do understand it may have been under utilized since it was geared more towards younger set, and also the time to take train ride out and back did take a chunk out of the day, but still sad to lose an experience that doesn't seem to be a huge cost savings.

Long time listener, first time caller...
It seems strange that AK would close RPW permanently when they have the live action movie coming out next summer.
As much as the entire resort is skewing towards heavy IP tie-ins, maybe a major update would be in order but not a closure. Only thing that makes sense is a sudden need for budget adjustments. We’ll find that out soon enough if we see other guest experience adjustments.

I'm pretty sad about this one, it was a hidden gem for sure. Watching the vet treatments was fascinating! & the goats... I love those goats! Wilma was such a sweetie!

DD will be disappointed. We missed it on our last trip and I told her not to worry that we would definitely go on our next trip

I don't mean to sound ugly, and to those that truly loved this attraction I am very sorry for your loss but... as a lover of AK (its my families favorite park) This area can be used for so much more. Petting zoos are great for kids but Disney should be giving us more than this. Every local zoo has a petting zoo. Conservation parks that are mini zoos always have petting zoos and animal care areas. Disney should be giving us something more.

This part of the park doesn't fit into the hub and spoke model of the rest of the park.
The fact that this area could only be accessed by train also made it cumbersome for guest flow and a logistical nightmare. It was at least an hour commitment of time because you were trapped there... I think many guests who got on were expecting more of a MK train experience, but got a stranded on an island experience instead. (I know the first time I went to Planet watch I felt the same way.

I always viewed this area like the old camp Minnie-Mickey: a placeholder for an eventual themed area. If it turns into anything half as good as Pandora I will be happy. If it turns into another themed animal walkthru exhibit like the Maharajah Jungle Trek, I will be happy.

If it sits vacant for the next Decade, SHAME ON YOU DISNEY for cannibalizing the offerings at your parks to put a few extra cents in your shareholders pockets... this will come back to bite you in the long term if you do not replace the attractions you remove. Even though SWGE will be a gold mine for a few years, you can bet that during the next economic downturn people will struggle to justify the reduced offerings with the ever-increasing cost to visit.

Tiered multi day pricing? Lets just visit for 1-2 days instead of 4-5.

No night time parade? Lets give Universal a try.

$200 a night for a "value hotel" plus parking?" Lets try out Surfside and Dockside down the Highway for half the price.

$20+ a night for parking or a glorified 5 minute Lyft? Maybe a road trip out west is a better use of time and money.

Disney is taking advantage of the best economic situation in 2-3 decades, but I think they have quietly crossed a breaking point: They are no longer recession-proof.

I don't mean to sound ugly, and to those that truly loved this attraction I am very sorry for your loss but... as a lover of AK (its my families favorite park) This area can be used for so much more. Petting zoos are great for kids but Disney should be giving us more than this. Every local zoo has a petting zoo. Conservation parks that are mini zoos always have petting zoos and animal care areas. Disney should be giving us something more.

This part of the park doesn't fit into the hub and spoke model of the rest of the park.
The fact that this area could only be accessed by train also made it cumbersome for guest flow and a logistical nightmare. It was at least an hour commitment of time because you were trapped there... I think many guests who got on were expecting more of a MK train experience, but got a stranded on an island experience instead. (I know the first time I went to Planet watch I felt the same way.

I always viewed this area like the old camp Minnie-Mickey: a placeholder for an eventual themed area. If it turns into anything half as good as Pandora I will be happy. If it turns into another themed animal walkthru exhibit like the Maharajah Jungle Trek, I will be happy.

If it sits vacant for the next Decade, SHAME ON YOU DISNEY for cannibalizing the offerings at your parks to put a few extra cents in your shareholders pockets... this will come back to bite you in the long term if you do not replace the attractions you remove. Even though SWGE will be a gold mine for a few years, you can bet that during the next economic downturn people will struggle to justify the reduced offerings with the ever-increasing cost to visit.

Tiered multi day pricing? Lets just visit for 1-2 days instead of 4-5.

No night time parade? Lets give Universal a try.

$200 a night for a "value hotel" plus parking?" Lets try out Surfside and Dockside down the Highway for half the price.

$20+ a night for parking or a glorified 5 minute Lyft? Maybe a road trip out west is a better use of time and money.

Disney is taking advantage of the best economic situation in 2-3 decades, but I think they have quietly crossed a breaking point: They are no longer recession-proof.
As much as I can sympathize with your points, and believe me I get frustrated as well, I do think you’re overstating their prices compared to other activities in our society.

Best example I have is professional football. Their merchandise is upcharged to an extreme (40 bucks for a T-shirt?????) and tickets for cheap seats run in the 400 dollar range. Water at a game is 5 bucks, beers run about 12 dollars.

I paid 160 dollars for floor seats to see Metallica last year. 160 bucks for a 4-5 hour concert. And 40 dollars to park. Compare that to Disney, and they don’t seem nearly as bad.

I’m not trying to excuse these moves, but just wanted to point out it’s not just them, but it’s society

To have an entire park supposedly devoted to animal life and not have a petting area or an encounter with the vets in action seems like a miscue to me. If you go here loving animals--as we do-- and longing for something different from non-stop rides and shows, RPW seems like a natural thing to do. Let's hope they simply move the encounter aspects to a another location for the guests to enjoy, rather than eliminating them completely.

Does anyone know when they say it is closing October 21st, does that mean October 21st is the last day it will be open, or will October 20th will be the last day it will be open?

Does anyone know when they say it is closing October 21st, does that mean October 21st is the last day it will be open, or will October 20th will be the last day it will be open?
I believe they mean that the 21st is the last day. Usually they announce the closing date, not the first day it will be closed. But if you plan on going for the last day, I would call them to confirm. Especially because Disney has not yet officially said anything, the date is from what cast members were told.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter