• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ramp buses Warning!

lisapooh

HH Pin Crazy Pooh Fan
Be very carefully enering the ramped buses if you use a power wheelchair. The ramp is fine if you get on at a resort with a curb but when you get on at one of the parks it is very steep and downright dangerous.
On returning from AK yesterday my power wheelchair would not go up the ramp. I indicated that it would not go up and I would wait for the next bus. I was rudely informed that the bus there was the only bus and I would have to use it. Then a driver pushed on the back of my wheelchair to help propel it up the ramp. I should have flat refused! My power wheelchair started to veer off the ramp and fall. Fortunately it did not fall but I was jerked about and am still sore and was very frightened. Of course I was b;amed for the chair veering off the ramp. "What did I do to cause it to veer?" I am angry that these drivers would put me in such a dangerous situation to start with. I could have been seriously injured.
Flat demand they provide a lift bus if yur power wheelchair has any problem getting on the bus ramp. Absolutely refuse and make a stink. Don't let them risk injuring you!

Write to Disney about ths situation. Once the bus driver decided to touch the wheelchair he assumes responsibility for the situation. If the driver got rude or tried to shift blame about it that is infraction no. 2 on his part.

This situation may also have pointed out flaws in the ramp system on the buses.

Hopefully they will offer you some extra pixie dust on your next trip.

More Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Extra pixie dust is not impostant. But I will send a letter about this as it is a safety issue. I would hate to see someone seriously hurt. I am still sore from the incident.

Hi Lisa,

We were there a couple of weeks ago... I was only on the ramp bus twice, both times with my manual... and boy can I attest to the fact it is a STEEP decline getting off the bus... I had my husband wheel be backwards so I wouldn't fall out of the chair!!! I was lucky with the powerchair, I had a lift bus everytime... Just another obstacle put before us I guess... However, I'm getting a bit tired of dealing with the obstacles.. I don't know about you, but I think the MK is not at all handi-friendly... I won't be spending any major time there until they can do something about access on most of the rides.... Just one of my venting points!!!

Originally posted by chris1gill
Hi Lisa,

We were there a couple of weeks ago... I was only on the ramp bus twice, both times with my manual... and boy can I attest to the fact it is a STEEP decline getting off the bus... I had my husband wheel be backwards so I wouldn't fall out of the chair!!! I was lucky with the powerchair, I had a lift bus everytime... Just another obstacle put before us I guess... However, I'm getting a bit tired of dealing with the obstacles.. I don't know about you, but I think the MK is not at all handi-friendly... I won't be spending any major time there until they can do something about access on most of the rides.... Just one of my venting points!!!

I was there primarily to see the shows this trip and to pin trade which is my passion. Since I am hard of hearing I followed the interpreters schedule and really didn't have much time for rides. I did ride Pooh, Haunted Mansion and Small World. At Pooh I transferred from my chair, at Haunted Mansion they stopped the ride for a group of us and at Small World they trasferred me to a manual chair for the boat. Also I did Jungle Cruise and I transferred there. Met Safari Steve. He is nice!

It was nice to be met. I would never have known you were there were it not for your LIME GREEN RIBBONS. They're very important, folks!
BTW, I'm glad you could transfer. The lifts did not work well at all and have gone all the way back to the drawing boards. I don't know how long they will take, so be aware that (despite information in the guidebook), Jungle Cruise is still transfer-accessible only.
Happy Holidays!

-Steve

Unfortunately I found out about the Jungle Cruise the hard way... I was first in line for the wheelchair line, and when the CM finally came over (~10 min. of hearing them chit chat), he told me that I had to transfer in order to ride the ride... Well that was an impossibility, but my family had fun :( I was supremely disappointed... I also did Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear & Small World.. I didn't find another ride that I could get onto easily, where they could stop the ride... it was most disappointing....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter