RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

I've never found it hard to pick seats that work for me. I think you are making it sound much harder than it is. I've ran into the same problem on Ticketmaster, but I've never had that problem on an aircraft. Being told I can't get 2 out of 3 seats next to each other.

I'm not saying that any random seats can't be selected on aircraft. However, they don't enforce groups being together, which messes with availability of contiguous seats. One issue is pairs selecting window-aisle pairs in the hope that the middle seat goes empty. That's an especially big issue with Southwest. I've heard some couples stare down anyone looking to take the empty seat, or make the "interloper" feel unwelcome.

http://threadtripping.boardingarea....ples-reserve-aisle-window-seats-selfish-sods/

Apparent some airlines outside the US don't allow selection of non-contiguous seats when seats together are available. However, they don't charge extra for window or aisle.

Not really off topic since you brought up kids being groped i.e. Molested on planes.

You missed the entire point of my post which is to discuss various scenarios with your children in case you are not able to sit together on a plane.

Being groped or intimidated is not the same as being kidnapped. If you would like to discuss the topic of kidnapping, it would probably serve better on another thread.

Last edited:
in airlines...thy have purposely made it so that in a group to sit together at least one person must choose a "premium" seat. And while when my husband and I can choose to save the money by not sitting next to each other, it isn't really a choice about whether or not we pay to sit next to our toddler, we are being strong armed into a fee, that was put i for just that purpose...all parents are asking is for suitable protections for their children.
I agree that many airlines are doing everything they can to get every nickle they can out of fliers. Most posters on this thread know that, too. It isn't right, but it's the way many airlines operate now, & fliers have to deal with the realities of current American air travel.

But the issue being discussed on this thread is people being asked to give up seats they paid extra to choose in advance, for the benefit of those who chose not to pay extra in advance. That is simply not fair to those who paid extra for the privilege of sitting in those seats. You've got to admit that.

I agree airlines should have better policies, but pressuring other passengers to give you their premium seating isn't the way to get the airlines to change. Only customer complaints to the airlines, complaints to legislators to lead to & maintain consumer-friendly legislation, & refusal of passengers to fly on non-family-friendly airlines is going to change the airlines' game.

Until the change happens (if ever) those who refuse to pay to ensure their families sit together, while at the same time claiming that their families cannot sit apart, shouldn't fly at all.

Last edited:

I don't think they enforce people sitting together because it is so easy to get around. You can book the tickets separately.

Some airlines make it more difficult. Besides the obvious issues with more time to book, the airline will be less inclined to help a couple as a group if there's a problem. I frankly prefer a single confirmation number, although some airlines like Southwest give a separate confirmation number for each passenger, although I think they allow all passenger on the same reservation to check in together.

I agree that airlines are doing everything they can to get every nickle they can out of fliers. Most posters on this thread know that, too.

But the issue being discussed on this thread is people being asked to give up seats they paid extra to choose in advance, for the benefit of those who chose not to pay extra in advance. That is simply not fair to those who booked early & paid extra. You've got to admit that.

I agree airlines should have better policies, but pressuring other passengers to give you their premium seating isn't the way to get the airlines to change. Only customer complaints to the airlines, complaints to legislators to lead to & maintain consumer-friendly legislation, & refusal of passengers to fly on non-family-friendly airlines is going to change the airlines' game.

Until the change happens (if ever) those who refuse to pay to ensure their families sit together, and who also claim that their families cannot sit apart, shouldn't fly at all.

We'll see what happens in less than two months. It's enough of a concern that one Congressman tried to get something into law for over a year.

The airlines have decided to charge for "extras" (checked luggage, more seat space, certain seats, etc). Those who don't need those "extras" get to save a little bit of money. Those who want the extras pay for it. It's a business decision the airlines have made.
You're naive if you think people are saving money (from what they would have paid before airlines started charging for extras) by not buying the extras. The base fare is what the airlines would charge regardless. The extras are ways for them to profit even more than they did in the past. It's not like tickets would be more expensive if extras weren't separated out. That's what the airlines want you to think, but it's an illusion.

You're naive if you think people are saving money (from what they would have paid before airlines started charging for extras) by not buying the extras. The base fare is what the airlines would charge regardless. The extras are ways for them to profit even more than they did in the past. It's not like tickets would be more expensive if extras weren't separated out. That's what the airlines want you to think, but it's an illusion.

Well, yeah. Most (actually all) of the major legacy airlines declared bankruptcy years ago or were all pretty close to doing so. These days they're having record profits, and a lot of it comes from baggage fees, and seat selection fees. Of course they're fighting back against anything that might reduce the incentive to pay for such fees.

I guess the exception is the ultra low cost airlines, but that's a completely different business model.

We'll see what happens in less than two months. It's enough of a concern that one Congressman tried to get something into law for over a year.
Congressmen get so many goodies from the airlines that I'm not optimistic. And the current power structure in Washington isn't oriented towards consumer-friendly regulations, either.

Congressmen get so many goodies from the airlines that I'm not optimistic. And the current power structure in Washington isn't oriented towards consumer-friendly regulations, either.

Well - there was the Families Flying Together Act of 2015. The same Congressman had been trying for a few years (at least as far back as 2012). A variation of this bill went into the FAA reauthorization bill in 2016 and that passed, and the decline for implementation is supposed to be July 15.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr3334/text

Some airlines make it more difficult. Besides the obvious issues with more time to book, the airline will be less inclined to help a couple as a group if there's a problem. I frankly prefer a single confirmation number, although some airlines like Southwest give a separate confirmation number for each passenger, although I think they allow all passenger on the same reservation to check in together.

When we travel as a group and everyone makes their own reservations, one of us will later call the airline to have the reservations linked together. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes. Not hard and when aircraft or flights have been changed, it makes it easier when the tickets have been linked. We do this for every flight we take and never a problem.

This is all about supply and demand. People want window and aisle seats so the airline is going to charge more for those, regardless of the age of the passenger. No one wants middle seats so those are going to be cheaper. If you're flying with a child and want to sit next to the child, if one of you is in the aisle or window seat your going to pay a few dollars more. My husband always picks the window so I always get stuck with the middle seat. We're flying to Hawaii next week and his ticket was $16 more than mine for both flights. Not as big of a deal as people are making this out to be.

My husband always picks the window so I always get stuck with the middle seat. We're flying to Hawaii next week and his ticket was $16 more than mine for both flights. Not as big of a deal as people are making this out to be.
Most upgraded seating is more of a price increase than that. I've repeatedly bought seats in premium economy that cost 50% more than the cost of the base ticket.

That's why I'm not switching seats.

Most upgraded seating is more of a price increase than that. Often seats in premium economy are 50% of the cost of the base ticket.

Our seats are economy plus. When we go to check in, 90% of the time we will be offered an upgrade anywhere from $29-$69. DH's seat will still cost a bit more than mine but it's still a supply and demand issue.

That sort of stinks. I think he should take the middle seat sometimes.

Thanks, and I agree, haha! I will sometimes steal his seat when he goes to the restroom. Usually sitting in the middle seat isn't a problem because I am small so it works for me. However, if DH and the random stranger person next to me are being armrest hogs, one of them is going to get the elbow!

Our seats are economy plus. When we go to check in, 90% of the time we will be offered an upgrade anywhere from $29-$69. DH's seat will still cost a bit more than mine but it's still a supply and demand issue.
Yes, a $69 seat upgrade on a $130 flight is a more than 50% increase over the base price, and I have paid that for myself and my son (but not for another random passenger who asks me to give up my seat).

Last edited:
This is all about supply and demand. People want window and aisle seats so the airline is going to charge more for those, regardless of the age of the passenger. No one wants middle seats so those are going to be cheaper. If you're flying with a child and want to sit next to the child, if one of you is in the aisle or window seat your going to pay a few dollars more. My husband always picks the window so I always get stuck with the middle seat. We're flying to Hawaii next week and his ticket was $16 more than mine for both flights. Not as big of a deal as people are making this out to be.

Nothing is stopping you from choosing the window seat in front of or in back of him. If $16 extra is no big deal, there's no reason to get stuck in the middle seat.

Yes, a $69 seat on a $130 flight is a more than 50% increase over the base price, and I have paid that for myself and my son (but not for another random passenger who asks me to give up my seat).

First, if our flights were only $130, then the upgrade would be the $29. Second, depending on the airport you fly from, some of us are never going to see flights for $130 to places that are only 2.5 hours away.

My point is towards those who are implying that someone should not be charged more for those who want to sit next to their child. The seat pricing is different for everyone and if you want to sit next to your child, you're going to have to pay the different prices. Now if you paid those prices and the airlines moves you, then inquire about the changes so that you can sit by your child.

Nothing is stopping you from choosing the window seat in front of or in back of him. If $16 extra is no big deal, there's no reason to get stuck in the middle seat.

Umm, sure there is - I don't want to sit a row behind or in front of my DH. I want to sit next to him and annoy him the entire flight! ;)

My point is towards those who are implying that someone should not be charged more for those who want to sit next to their child. The seat pricing is different for everyone and if you want to sit next to your child, you're going to have to pay the different prices.
I've stated and restated on this thread that everyone should pay for their own seat & not expect others to give up theirs. The fact that the cost difference between seats can be a lot (yes, we actually have an upcoming American Airlines 3-hour flight that costs $133 plus a $68 seat upgrade) is one of my stated reasons for refusing to be pressured into switching seats.

And you know this how?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter