RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

I've had people try to force me out of the aisle seat I paid for and into the middle seat farther back that they were assigned due to their poor planning. Not my kid, not my problem. They've tried telling the kid that I won't let Mommy sit next to them because I'm mean (I told the kid "I am" with a deadpan voice) and they've tried telling me how "spirited" the child is - I couldn't care less because I have noise-cancelling headphones, Xanax, and the innate ability to completely tune out your "spirited" child. I have my own at home.

Honestly, once the kids are not in the presence of their parents and are instead sitting next to someone they can't manipulate by whining, they generally behave fine and stay quiet.

I've had people try to force me out of the aisle seat I paid for and into the middle seat farther back that they were assigned due to their poor planning. Not my kid, not my problem. They've tried telling the kid that I won't let Mommy sit next to them because I'm mean (I told the kid "I am" with a deadpan voice) and they've tried telling me how "spirited" the child is - I couldn't care less because I have noise-cancelling headphones, Xanax, and the innate ability to completely tune out your "spirited" child. I have my own at home.
Honestly, once the kids are not in the presence of their parents and are instead sitting next to someone they can't manipulate by whining, they generally behave fine and stay quiet.
:worship: Truth!

Agree with Alison. .any six year olds are great conversationalists.
Actually I have met several 6-10 year olds I rather talk to then half the adults I have sat next to on a plane.

I would rather sit next to a child then some of them too. DH and I aren't super small but we had one that was FAR past the seat (if you can't put down the armrest its a problem).

Then the one I sat next to that was bugging the flight attendants for more booze, then begging me to order booze for him, then just kept ringing them to ask again every so often...

The one that threw a fit because someone else (I knew neither of these people) pumped breast milk and how horrible it was that she did so on the plane (btw you could see nothing I know the person didn't see anything because the first half of the rant she was just complaining about a smell... which BTW is not any worse then the food others brought on)

I am pretty sure most young children would be less annoying then this... once you past 10 far less since then they probably want to play with their phone more then dealing with me too so we have a perfect understanding.

This still applies two years later.

The airline industry actively hates its own customers.

Paying "extra" for assigned seats... Why do we put up with this crap?

Everybody gets assigned seats. And people board back to front. Period. No "early" boarders. No "Ultra Plus Platinum" boarding. Back to front. End of story. Yes, first class. You board last. Why? Because you get in everybody else's way up front if you board first.

Why do things have to be so complicated?

This still applies two years later.

The airline industry actively hates its own customers.
To answer your question... "It has to be complicated because the passengers won't do the right thing."
The reason it's important to board first (for most people) is to try to get overhead storage space. Personally, I like putting my bags above my seat. Other passengers would (even given an empty plane) put their bag above row 13 when they're in row 36.
There are also issues with passengers not following the rules when it comes to appropriate sized bags. Granted, the airline doesn't enforce the size.

I have NEVER had someone in first class "get in my way". Usually they're all seated and comfortable when I get on the plane.

Last but not least, "back to front" is NOT the most efficient way to board...

To answer your question... "It has to be complicated because the passengers won't do the right thing."
The reason it's important to board first (for most people) is to try to get overhead storage space. Personally, I like putting my bags above my seat. Other passengers would (even given an empty plane) put their bag above row 13 when they're in row 36.
There are also issues with passengers not following the rules when it comes to appropriate sized bags. Granted, the airline doesn't enforce the size.

I have NEVER had someone in first class "get in my way". Usually they're all seated and comfortable when I get on the plane.

Its true that the coveted storage space in the overhead bin is people's main reason for wanting to board first. I've been on a flight, assigned to board near the end, and the last 15 or so of us were forced to gate check our carry on bags because the overhead bins were full by the time we were to board.

That said, the airlines created that issue by instituting checked baggage fees. If checked bags were free for at least the first one, a lot of people would be more inclined to not do carry-on only.

The problem with boarding in other ways, for instance window, middle, aisle is families who are sitting in the same row can't board together. This could leave children and disabled family members alone in the terminal or on the plane or having to find their seat and store their bags themself. You could get around that by making a separate boarding class for them, but it then makes a mess of the process because I would bet a good chunk of people would then not be boarding window, middle, aisle.

Its true that the coveted storage space in the overhead bin is people's main reason for wanting to board first. I've been on a flight, assigned to board near the end, and the last 15 or so of us were forced to gate check our carry on bags because the overhead bins were full by the time we were to board.

That said, the airlines created that issue by instituting checked baggage fees. If checked bags were free for at least the first one, a lot of people would be more inclined to not do carry-on only.

I prefer to gate check as opposed to try and deal with the overhead storage. I take my laptop bag that sits under the seat and gate check my carry-on (if I have one).

I think the biggest boarding problem is that people just bring way too much stuff on a plane. They have their carry-on bag which is as big as possible to legally fit on, and then a huge tote bag or duffel, then a backpack, and a giant handbag. Oh and maybe a couple shopping bags as well. How much stuff do you need on a flight? We’ve recently flown Spirit & Frontier and I much preferred them because everyone wasn’t trying to store their 17 “carry-on” bags on the plane. Anything bigger than a handbag or a small backpack and you were paying for it. Boarding was quick, orderly, and painless and there was plenty of room in the overhead bins. I’d much rather pay the $25 on any airline for my bag and not have to try to schlep all those bags through the airport and deal with them in the plane. In all my flights with my family of five, I’ve only had a lost bag once and it was delivered to my house the next morning.

Same goes with security lines. If people just checked their bags, security lines would be so much shorter.

I think they ought to better enforce carry on sizes, and not let people get away with putting multiple items in the overhead bin. A lot of times when they run out of bin space, it's because people bring oversized luggage on board that takes up more than their allotted space, then they shove jackets, purses, and other personal belongings up there, which prevents others from being able to put their carry on bag in the overhead bin.

I think the biggest boarding problem is that people just bring way too much stuff on a plane. They have their carry-on bag which is as big as possible to legally fit on, and then a huge tote bag or duffel, then a backpack, and a giant handbag. Oh and maybe a couple shopping bags as well. How much stuff do you need on a flight? We’ve recently flown Spirit & Frontier and I much preferred them because everyone wasn’t trying to store their 17 “carry-on” bags on the plane. Anything bigger than a handbag or a small backpack and you were paying for it. Boarding was quick, orderly, and painless and there was plenty of room in the overhead bins. I’d much rather pay the $25 on any airline for my bag and not have to try to schlep all those bags through the airport and deal with them in the plane. In all my flights with my family of five, I’ve only had a lost bag once and it was delivered to my house the next morning.

Same goes with security lines. If people just checked their bags, security lines would be so much shorter.
That would be the airlines fault for allowing more than allowed. True it takes people some time to reorganize items or to gate check items but probably easier overall than allowing multiple people to board with more than allotted.

Majority of the time the gates agents I've seen when flying have stuck with the 1 personal item and 1 carry on but every now and then they either weren't paying attention or they didn't care at that time.

Flying back from WDW last week, I found a mother and her 6-year-old son in my row. (I had changed my seat request the night before, and at that time the row was empty, so I know they were assigned those seats at the last minute.) I had the window seat and when I got there the kid was sitting in the window seat, so I smiled and asked the mom, in as friendly a tone as can be, "Hi there! Is he in 1F?" (the window seat), while holding out my boarding pass showing that I had 1F.

The woman SNARLED at me as if I had slapped her, "I KNOW, I KNOW, WE'RE MOVING, WE'RE MOVING, CHARLIE GET OUT OF THE SEAT AND SIT IN THE MIDDLE."

I was like, "I'm sorry - I don't mean to be rude! I'm not yelling at you, just asking!" and she kept cutting me off with "I KNOW/WE'RE MOVING/ I KNOW ALREADY!" Super hostile.

I kept a big friendly smile on my face. If she had asked to switch with me (she had the aisle) so she could sit in the middle and her kid could take the window, I would've gladly complied (even though, as a larger person it's MUCH easier for me to be sitting by the window so my shoulder doesn't get slammed every time someone walks by), it's a very short flight and I would've sucked it up, but I was NOT about to sit in the middle between this hostile mom and her (innocent!) kid just so he could have the window and she could keep the aisle seat.

Instead, the kid cheerfully jumped into the middle seat and started peppering me with questions and asking me to read his storybook to him, etc. (which I did!) Charlie and I were best friends by the end of the flight (and in fact I had to feign sleep for most of the flight to get even a small break from the kid) and by the end the mom, who had been sooooo mean and hostile to me, was bragging to me about how many social media followers she had and complaining that the people at the Swan & Dolphin hadn't treated her right and boy were they gonna pay, etc.

I think they ought to better enforce carry on sizes, and not let people get away with putting multiple items in the overhead bin. A lot of times when they run out of bin space, it's because people bring oversized luggage on board that takes up more than their allotted space, then they shove jackets, purses, and other personal belongings up there, which prevents others from being able to put their carry on bag in the overhead bin.
Normally I see the issue being people don't efficiently put their bags up in the overhead bin. They put it length wise which can take up another bag's spot at least when it comes to wheeled carry ons and backpacks. The duffle bags can be more complicated since sometimes they are narrower but longer and sometimes they are wider but shorter.

Often, even if I've checked a bag, I'll carry one on. Carrying a bag on does have some benefits...
1) No waiting at baggage claim for the plane to be unloaded.
2) No worry of the airline "misdirecting" your bag.
3) If there is an issue requiring an overnight stay without your checked bag, you have what you need.

I've also only taken a backpack (that fits under the seat in front of me). That also has advantages. FWIW, I have the Delta AmEx card, so I don't pay for a checked bag.

I think some airline employees are starting to get better about enforcing the carry on limits. I've seen them tell passengers to consolidate their stuff including a small bag with a food purchase made in the terminal.

Leaps and bounds over the time I saw someone carry a carton onto the plane. From 10 rows back I could see there was no way it would fit but the gate agents and the fight attendants let this guy on the plane - fuss with the box for a while blocking the aisle and basically halting boarding, then back up off the plane to gate check the box. Have some sense.

Flying back from WDW last week, I found a mother and her 6-year-old son in my row. (I had changed my seat request the night before, and at that time the row was empty, so I know they were assigned those seats at the last minute.) I had the window seat and when I got there the kid was sitting in the window seat, so I smiled and asked the mom, in as friendly a tone as can be, "Hi there! Is he in 1F?" (the window seat), while holding out my boarding pass showing that I had 1F.

The woman SNARLED at me as if I had slapped her, "I KNOW, I KNOW, WE'RE MOVING, WE'RE MOVING, CHARLIE GET OUT OF THE SEAT AND SIT IN THE MIDDLE."

I was like, "I'm sorry - I don't mean to be rude! I'm not yelling at you, just asking!" and she kept cutting me off with "I KNOW/WE'RE MOVING/ I KNOW ALREADY!" Super hostile.

I kept a big friendly smile on my face. If she had asked to switch with me (she had the aisle) so she could sit in the middle and her kid could take the window, I would've gladly complied (even though, as a larger person it's MUCH easier for me to be sitting by the window so my shoulder doesn't get slammed every time someone walks by), it's a very short flight and I would've sucked it up, but I was NOT about to sit in the middle between this hostile mom and her (innocent!) kid just so he could have the window and she could keep the aisle seat.

Instead, the kid cheerfully jumped into the middle seat and started peppering me with questions and asking me to read his storybook to him, etc. (which I did!) Charlie and I were best friends by the end of the flight (and in fact I had to feign sleep for most of the flight to get even a small break from the kid) and by the end the mom, who had been sooooo mean and hostile to me, was bragging to me about how many social media followers she had and complaining that the people at the Swan & Dolphin hadn't treated her right and boy were they gonna pay, etc.

That's awful how that woman behaved! She sounds like a gem. On our last flight to MCO, the row in front of us had a woman and child in the middle and window. When the person who reserved the window boarded, the woman politely asked if it was ok and the guy said sure.

On the same flight, my seat was reassigned. I noticed when I checked in that I was now sitting in front of my husband instead of next to him. I wasn't thrilled but I wasn't flipping out because I switched to an aisle seat instead of the middle one. But it turns out the family of 4 we were sitting with had to have called to have an accommodation to get 2 sets of 2 seats together - apparently the parents had to sit together and the teen aged kids had to sit together. Pretty crappy they didn't care about other people on the plane wanting to sit together.

Airplanes should be built so everyone has access to store their one carry-on item above their seat.
They're not. I'm sure there's some certain percentage they assume will have bags.

IIRC, an overhead bin takes up ~1 1/2 rows of seats. So you have two bins to take care of nine seats. Each bin accepts three pieces of luggage. So three people don't have space for their bags.

NOTE: I've made the numbers up.

Now, how do you get to a 1:1? You either need to make the bins bigger or eliminate seats. Eliminating seats sounds good, doesn't it? More leg room. Now you've just lessened the supply. Lower the supply and not change the demand = higher prices.

::yes::::yes::::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter