RAW file format

You could continue editing RAW images in Elements. Before you spend money on a new piece of software try it as a trial download.

I use Capture NX2. I've tried Lightroom and Aperture, but the problem I've found is that you need to get add on's or something like that if you change any in-camera stuff, ie: change saturation, sharpening etc. Lightroom will not take your in camera changes without finding and then adding the add on's. Others have said, its not a big deal to add them, but I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out. Capture NX2 is made specifically for NEF's and anything you do in camera. Works like a charm. I've been using it for a few years now (started with Capture NX).

Howdy --

In the interest of more post-production processing, I'm considering shooting my next WDW trip (leaving tomorrow!) in RAW. However, the "Field Guide" to that model reads: "Nikon cameras seem to use more power when saving files in RAW mode. If you...take a lot of pictures on a single charge, consider using JPEG Fine instead of RAW or RAW+JPEG."

Any actual experience in this department? I do carry a spare battery with me each day, but if I drain both of them the first day then I'll never "catch up" in the re-charging process. I'd also love to hear comments about the difference in how quickly you fill a 2GB card in RAW vs. JPEG fine. (Yes, I can buy more cards if I need to, and I personally prefer to use more smaller GB cards than fewer cards holding more images -- to me, that's more to lose if something goes wrong.)

I'd like to be able to play around with Photoshop+Color Efex after getting back from the trip.

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences.

I have a Nikon D40 not the X model and I found I could shoot a whole day on one battery in RAW. I shot a whole day in WDW with the D40 on one battery but always needed a second card (if it was a 2gb) before the day was done. I would pick up at least one or two 4 gb cards because you will more than likely fill a 2gb card with RAW images in no time. I now have a D300 and just got back from a trip in which I had 6 cards with me. Two each 2gb, 4gb, 8gb and had to transfer some to dvd so I could reuse the cards. Are you taking a laptop or some other way of storing pics so your card can be reused?

I have a Nikon D40 not the X model and I found I could shoot a whole day on one battery in RAW. I shot a whole day in WDW with the D40 on one battery but always needed a second card (if it was a 2gb) before the day was done. I would pick up at least one or two 4 gb cards because you will more than likely fill a 2gb card with RAW images in no time. I now have a D300 and just got back from a trip in which I had 6 cards with me. Two each 2gb, 4gb, 8gb and had to transfer some to dvd so I could reuse the cards. Are you taking a laptop or some other way of storing pics so your card can be reused?

Thanks a million for your response -- and I'm honored to have you answer, given the gorgeous photos I see you posting on various threads!!

I don't bring a laptop, so I just bring a bunch of cards and do all the transferring once I'm home. Makes sense that RAW would make a larger GB card the better choice. But it really helps to know that I can figure that I'll get a day's use out of each battery, so that I can always keep up with the re-charging at night.

First off, I don't have a Nikon. And I'm not an expert. But.........

If RAW were to drain the battery faster, why would they suggest shooting RAW PLUS jpeg as an alternative?

I still have the original battery in my D40 and I've never had an issue with excessive battery drainage shooting RAW.

If RAW were to drain the battery faster, why would they suggest shooting RAW PLUS jpeg as an alternative?

I think it's suggesting JPEG as the alternative to both RAW and RAW+JPEG -- that either one of the RAW choices uses more battery power....

Since RAW files are larger it makes sense that it uses slightly more power to write the data when you save them.

I could see this making the battery die a little sooner over a day of shooting, but I can't think it's all that much in the grand scheme of things. I don't see it as a reason not to shoot RAW, just as long as you know how long the battery on your particular camera will last shooting RAW and are prepared accordingly.

Personally since I started shooting RAW I won't go back to shooting jpeg. You can't beat the flexibility it allows you when processing your pics and if you accidentally forget to change the white balance, for example, its such an easy fix. I don't know how many pictures you plan on taking but on my recent trip I came home with 2050 and I'm hoping to have about 300-400 keepers when I am done sorting and editing to post in my vacation smugmug gallery. If you aren't taking along any means of transferring to an alternate storage device until you return home just make sure you have plenty of cards with you ... the shots add up pretty quick, expecially if you are going to be taking extra shots you wouldn't normally take to ramp up your post processing adventures in Photoshop. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter