RCCL vs CCL? Help for first time cruiser! (switching from DCL)

mrswillson

the duck's biggest fan
So my husband and I have officially been hooked on cruising! :)

I've sailed with DCL six times, and he has sailed once last year when we took our 7 day honeymoon on the Fantasy. Due to recent price increases, we decided we would rather sail twice in a year versus once with DCL, and are looking to explore either Royal or Carnival. :cheer2:

Because I am only going off word of mouth for both cruise lines, I am hoping to hear actual accounts from those of you who have experienced both and can tell me what the pros and cons are of each. (I've heard the typical "Carnival is a party ship", "Royal has an older crowd", etc. but want something more concrete to make my decision on).

1) We are looking to sail in the September/October time frame.
2) We will be doing 6+ days.
3) We love variety in our itineraries - specifically love EC destinations.
4) We always book a balcony (is there any other way to sail?!)

What I'm wanting to know more specifics on is the following:

1) Cost. Which one is the best value and why? (They seem comparable from what I've seen.)

2) Entertainment and adult activities. What options do each have? We love shows and events, and because we're both in our mid-twenties, do not like the company of children and the lack of adults-only entertainment on DCL. This is one big draw for us in switching.

3) Excursions and special offerings only to each line. For example, I know RCCL offers PADI dive certifications onboard some of their ships. Does Carnival offer anything specifically? Do they also offer this amenity? (We are looking to get dive certified, so this was a big plus for Royal!)

4) Private islands. What are each like? Do they compare to Castaway Cay?

5) Cleanliness and presentation. I've heard the Carnival is not necessarily up to standards in comparison to other lines, but I would like to hear personal accounts and know exactly how each stands up compared to DCL.

6) And lastly (this is the most important for me): FOOD. I am not able to eat gluten and dairy, and was sorely disappointed with the food quality on DCL and the options presented to someone with allergies. The bottom line is I want to be able to enjoy my vacation and have different options to choose from to eat, not just a couple of the same options each night.

Thank you!

Last edited:
We are loyal to Royal. Ooh I rhymed.

Also depends on age, style etc. We are in our fifties so we like a little more upscale than Carnival.

Try going to cruisecritic.com. They sections devoted all different cruise lines

My first 5 cruises were on Disney and since then have taken one Carnival, 3 NCL, 3 RCCL, 1 Celebrity, and 3 more DCL cruises. I loved all of them. Did you know that when DCL began they charged for soda? I was on the 6th Magic cruise, and then went on Wonder the year it began cruising. They finally decided to include soda (and prices began to increase). My Carnival cruise was a 5 day on Glory, from Boston to Canada. This was definitely no "booze cruise". I found it very upscale. I think the booze cruises are mostly 3-4 day cruises during spring break time from southern ports. We enjoyed Carnival a lot and would cruise on them again if we find one that sails from our area (Boston).

I am currently booked on RCCL for a Baltics cruise in July, and a back to back cruise on RCCL's newest ship, Symphony, out of Miami next January. All the ships are beautiful. My daughters did not like the kids cubs on DCL so never went to them. I have booked some excursions privately and some through the cruise lines. My husband and I are musicians so prefer hearing live music. Everyone but DCL that we sailed with had various music groups including a main "orchestra". While DCL has great Disney shows, they sing along to recorded music. The shows don't use live music.

If money was no object I would cruise on DCL again, but right now we are finding new ports and much lower costs with other cruise lines.

Denise

I've sailed with DCL six times, and he has sailed once last year when we took our 7 day honeymoon on the Fantasy. Due to recent price increases, we decided we would rather sail twice in a year versus once with DCL, and are looking to explore either Royal or Carnival. :cheer2:

Because I am only going off word of mouth for both cruise lines, I am hoping to hear actual accounts from those of you who have experienced both and can tell me what the pros and cons are of each. (I've heard the typical "Carnival is a party ship", "Royal has an older crowd", etc. but want something more concrete to make my decision on).

1) Cost. Which one is the best value and why? (They seem comparable from what I've seen.) I have only sailed Carnival (6x) but have our first RCCL booked for Europe in 2019. Carnival has always been the best value dollar-wise for us. We sail with 4 in a balcony and it has always been affordable for us. I have priced RCCL and for when we can cruise (summer only) CCL always comes our less expensive.

2) Entertainment and adult activities. What options do each have? We love shows and events, and because we're both in our mid-twenties, do not like the company of children and the lack of adults-only entertainment on DCL. This is one big draw for us in switching. Well, both lines are very family-friendly so you won't be able to avoid kids. CCL has an adults area called Serenity. It's basically a private sundeck on most ships. Sunshine includes a pool and hot tubs and the new Vista class has food options, they all have a bar I think. Shows are all open to everyone except for the adult comedy. Shows include production style dancing/singing, game show type things and of course the Love & Marriage show (also adults only due to content).

3) Excursions and special offerings only to each line. For example, I know RCCL offers PADI dive certifications onboard some of their ships. Does Carnival offer anything specifically? Do they also offer this amenity? (We are looking to get dive certified, so this was a big plus for Royal!) We are cheap and do DIY or book outside vendors so I can't really help here.

4) Private islands. What are each like? Do they compare to Castaway Cay? I haven't been on an itinerary that goes to the private island.

5) Cleanliness and presentation. I've heard the Carnival is not necessarily up to standards in comparison to other lines, but I would like to hear personal accounts and know exactly how each stands up compared to DCL. I don't know about the other lines but I have never had an issue with cleanliness. Our room has always been cleaned to a satisfactory standard. I always see employees vacuuming, polishing, clearing plates, etc. I am sure there can be issues but I have never noticed.

6) And lastly (this is the most important for me): FOOD. I am not able to eat gluten and dairy, and was sorely disappointed with the food quality on DCL and the options presented to someone with allergies. The bottom line is I want to be able to enjoy my vacation and have different options to choose from to eat, not just a couple of the same options each night. I know there are many others with food issues. CCL has a special needs department that you contact before your cruise to let them know. Then you visit the MDR on embarkation to make sure your waitstaff knows. For gluten free, they will bring the next nights menu to you at dinner and help you select dishes (this probably works with dairy free too). Probably a bit more difficult with the buffet but there are lots of veg and meat options.

Thank you!

See answers in quote. I hope this helps with your decision. You can also check out the DCL vs Carnival thread on the main DCL board. Many of us have posted lots of information, photos, etc.

1) Cost. Which one is the best value and why? (They seem comparable from what I've seen.) They are pretty comperable. On average, Carnival cabins are a foot or two bigger than Royal.

2) Entertainment and adult activities. What options do each have? We love shows and events, and because we're both in our mid-twenties, do not like the company of children and the lack of adults-only entertainment on DCL. This is one big draw for us in switching. Depending on which ship you choose, Royal has broadway style shows (Grease, Cats, etc.) to Carnivals standard production shows. Both have adult comedy club shows and both have the "Quest" type of adults only gameshow. Royal does more parades and such.

3) Excursions and special offerings only to each line. For example, I know RCCL offers PADI dive certifications onboard some of their ships. Does Carnival offer anything specifically? Do they also offer this amenity? (We are looking to get dive certified, so this was a big plus for Royal!) Be careful of this one. Royal advertises that they offer PADI courses on board, but everytime I have reserved one, it has been cancelled due to lack of participation or instructor. I've never actually seen this one happen.

4) Private islands. What are each like? Do they compare to Castaway Cay? Having never sailed DCL I can't compare to that island, but I have been to both Royal's islands (Labadee and CocoCay) and Carnivals new port (Amber Cove). All three are pretty much beach days.

5) Cleanliness and presentation. I've heard the Carnival is not necessarily up to standards in comparison to other lines, but I would like to hear personal accounts and know exactly how each stands up compared to DCL. I have never had any issues with either company as far as cleanliness.

6) And lastly (this is the most important for me): FOOD. I am not able to eat gluten and dairy, and was sorely disappointed with the food quality on DCL and the options presented to someone with allergies. The bottom line is I want to be able to enjoy my vacation and have different options to choose from to eat, not just a couple of the same options each night. Both ships offer gluten free options for every meal. Both lines have special needs department that will work with you for your dietary needs.

Thank you!

Ms. Willson - I have sailed both Royal and Carnival (although never DCL). I have put my opinions in the quote! Bottom line for me?? I have three cruises booked with Carnival, and two cruises booked with Royal. I would sail either line with no hesitation.

DH and I are in our early 30s. We've done Carnival and Royal, but our comparison is unfair because our one and only Carnival sailing was about 7 years ago on a 5 day ship. We did Royal last year on Oasis. We enjoyed both experiences for different reasons. If we decide to cruise again, we wouldn't hesitate to go with either line and would likely let price and itinerary drive our decision.

One thing I'll mention with Royal is that we spent a lot out of pocket beyond or initial cruise price. All of it was totally optional and you can get by without it, but our purchases enhanced our experience. I'm not complaining about the upgrade options or what we spent because we felt it was worth it, but it's something to consider when budgeting. We purchased the drink package, an internet package, and a dining package on-board. The specialty restaurants are fantastic and worth the cost, IMO. We also purchased excursions and small things on-board like t-shirts, ice cream, meals at Johnny Rockets, etc. We walked away with a much higher bill at the end than we did with Carnival. I don't remember the same up-selling and upgrade options on Carnival, but it may exist. Like I said, it was a while ago and a shorter cruise then too.

I don't think you can go wrong with either line! Enjoy!

OK, so what the heck is a DH? And how is he any different from your husband? I'm so confused.

DH = Dear Husband (or Disney Husband sometimes on the Dis). Just a common internet abbreviation, especially on forums like this. Not confusing, just shortened.

DH = Dear Husband (or Disney Husband sometimes on the Dis). Just a common internet abbreviation, especially on forums like this. Not confusing, just shortened.
Must just be a weird forum thing, then. No where in life have I ever referred to my wife as a DW, or anything other than a wife. Right? I mean, I don't have a Disney Wife and then a Wife. She's my wife, Disney, Dear, or otherwise. Odd...

They use this shorthand on CC as well. You learn to roll with it, although I don’t use it myself.

I’ve never been on Carnival, but have been on both Royal and DCL. With that in mind:
1) I believe carnival is cheaper. Princess is their sister brand and is at about the same price point as Royal. I’ve been on Princess and found them to be very nice

2) Entertainment is definitely geared more towards adults, and really it can’t not be relative to Disney. Not that adults can’t enjoy Disney, but DCL does try to be more PG.

3) I feel like the Caribbean excursions on Royal and DCL were roughly the same. Probably the same companies contracted to both. Excursions on Royals private island seem more interesting, but that’s about it.

To be honest we stopped doing excursions through the cruise line after our second one or so.

4) Castaway Cay wins. Labadee’s Columbus Cove is nice though.

5) I really haven’t noticed one cruise line as markedly “cleaner” than another. I’m kind of oblivious about hallways, I guess. Rooms have always been made clean, so no issues there.

6) So we don't have anyone with similar issues to OP, but on a couple of the Royal cruises I was on my nephew and niece (on separate occasions) were just starting with the solid foods and after explaining to the wait staff, they worked to accommodate our needs. We got a bowl of pureed sweet potato and a plain poached chicken breast. Not the most adventurous order, to be fair, but it does speak to how Royal is willing to work with people regarding food. My niece was eating everything when we went on DCL, so I don't have a relatable experience there.

For your last question...I don't have experience myself, but I am just following a review now on Cruise Critic where the OP needs a gluten free diet and they seemed to accommodate well in the MDR from her posts. You can check out her review and even ask in her review. It's in the Royal Caribbean section and the subject is "Live review from Enchantment of the Seas (Feb 26 - March 2)". There are also many food options for lunch and breakfast (2 buffets, MDR and some others depending on the ship) so am sure you can find many options for you.

Must just be a weird forum thing, then. No where in life have I ever referred to my wife as a DW, or anything other than a wife. Right? I mean, I don't have a Disney Wife and then a Wife. She's my wife, Disney, Dear, or otherwise. Odd...

LOL. I'm not sure what your point is in calling this out. You have 2000+ posts here so you must have seen it before, but sorry to offend you. You don't have to use the shorthand if you don't want to. For many of us, when responding to a post, it's much easier to type "DW" or "DH" than spell out the word. Same with MK or AKL or whatever other million abbreviations are used here. If someone just put "H" or "W", the context would be lost. Don't sweat the small stuff :thumbsup2

LOL. I'm not sure what your point is in calling this out. You have 2000+ posts here so you must have seen it before, but sorry to offend you. You don't have to use the shorthand if you don't want to. For many of us, when responding to a post, it's much easier to type "DW" or "DH" than spell out the word. Same with MK or AKL or whatever other million abbreviations are used here. If someone just put "H" or "W", the context would be lost. Don't sweat the small stuff :thumbsup2
Yes, but MK without the M would just be kingdom. AKL without the A would just be kingdom lodge. They are abbreviations of actual names of existing places. DH without the D would just be your, well, husband. Just seems odd to go tacking on random letters to words for no valid or necessary reason. I certainly don't do that in the real world, so why on forums? As far as shortening words, DW is only two more letters than wife. And it takes me all of two seconds to type out husband. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
OP - my thots in italics

I’d toss Celebrity into the mix, RCCL’s fancier line. Older crowd, but typically include beverage package, nice quality of food & service along with some killer itineraries. RCCL is a close 2nd, followed by CCL as a definite contender if you research carefully. Suggest you dig around on cruisecritic.

Many RCCL ships have the waverider/surfing set up, zip lines on the zip, rock climbing. I surely wouldn’t tag it an older crowd based upon my sailings. It can depend on the time of year. September/October should have less kids in tow but i’d Check the school calendars. Believe many states have an early-mid Oct school break

why, yes, there is...some cabins have wall to ceiling windows, etc. some of the more expensive ships/itineraries come close to DCL. Typically, compared to what i spend on DCL, find we can book at least 2.5 like (as in far better itineraries) on cruises on other lines.

1) Cost. Which one is the best value and why? (They seem comparable from what I've seen.).

Value is in the eye of the beholder. CCL typically has the lowest daily rate for us. They offer generous military rates that include those who have served 2 years, honorably discharged, unlike DCLs retired proviso.

Do your homework as to pricing out an itinerary or two. If you elect to utilize a TA be aware some lines have more leeway for the TAs to offer larger discounts (RCCL comes to mind). There can be substantial differences as to price. It all comes down to if you want traditional service of a TA as the one associated with this board or if you are willing to customized/personal assistance and utilize one of the large, but very impersonal, online agencies.

It’s a big trade off, not for everyone as they also have very stiff cancellation fees.during one of their mega sales you can really clean up. example: our upcoming cruise on the Oasis. We have one of the hard to get aqua theater balcony staterooms. We booked a non-refundable deposit rate RCCL offers (it is but limited with fees to change). They gave us a $100 OBC, free soda package, lunch at Johnny Rockets and free rock climbing class. The TA matched the $100 OBC, threw in another $100 OBC, loyalty OBC of $50, miitary recognition of anther $25 OBC, pre-paid gratuities & free dinner in a speciality restaurant.

Celebrity has good general promos, have gotten slightly lesser deals as described above, but always nice to get something extra, even if it’s a bottle of wine lol

2) Entertainment and adult activities. What options do each have? We love shows and events, and because we're both in our mid-twenties, do not like the company of children and the lack of adults-only entertainment on DCL. This is one big draw for us in switching.

You are going to run into kids onboard no matter what line/when you sail. Compared to DCL, far less though.

3) Excursions and special offerings only to each line. For example, I know RCCL offers PADI dive certifications onboard some of their ships. Does Carnival offer anything specifically? Do they also offer this amenity? (We are looking to get dive certified, so this was a big plus for Royal!).

Half Moon Cay is the cream of the crop IMO Their bungalows cost substantially less $ than CC (which is lovely in in it’s own right) last I rented.

5) Cleanliness and presentation. I've heard the Carnival is not necessarily up to standards in comparison to other lines, but I would like to hear personal accounts and know exactly how each stands up compared to DCL.

Never have we encountered a dirty stateroom on any line.

We’ve always had great room stewards across the board. CCL provides a solid experience, not quite the walmart of cruising, you will encounter a wide spectrum of people. Newer ships with all the bells & whistles, especially those a week or longer in duration, tend cost substantially more $, you will find less of the party hearty people.

6) And lastly (this is the most important for me): FOOD. I am not able to eat gluten and dairy, and was sorely disappointed with the food quality on DCL and the options presented to someone with allergies. The bottom line is I want to be able to enjoy my vacation and have different options to choose from to eat, not just a couple of the same options each night.

Thank you

I have only sailed on CCL but I have 2 cruises booked this year - 1 on CCL Vista in May and 1 on RCL Allure in Sept. I am really looking forward to seeing the differences myself. What I do know for sure is that we cruised on the CCL Magic last April 2017 and a friend that was with us can't eat gluten and dairy and every night in the MDR they would go over the next nights menu with her and she seemed really happy with the choices she had each day/night.

The prices for the 2 rooms I have booked at very different from each other and it's because the time of year I booked. For our May cruise on the Vista its way more money for a balcony room than the Sept cruise on the Allure for a balcony.

I notice the drink pkgs on RCCL seem more expensive as do the internet pkgs. I won't be doing any excursions in Sept so I can't compare that. I am not buying any drink pkgs on either ship because we just don't drink enough to make it worth our money. We will pay as we go.

I have die hard cruising friends who love CCL but they love RCL too - I think it's just what works for you.

Have a great time!

:hug: Thank you everyone for all of your insight! I am still in the planning stages but will be taking all of this into account.

i just completed 7 day cruise on Royal Oasis of Seas for eastern caribbean. My wife is gluten free and vegan, my daughter and I are both vegan. We had plenty of options in the main dining room and at the buffet at Windjammer. If you are booking, make sure you tell them about your dietary concerns and they will note it on the reservation. My wife was able to bring some non-dairy creamer to the ship and our stateroom attendant was nice enough to supply ice in buckets every morning and evening (mini-fridge in stateroom is not that cold!!). They had soy milk, but you had to ask for it. They also had gluten-free bread that contained eggs also. MDR was easier, you had to go over the next day's menu with the waiter and they would accomodate you. At the buffets, you could ask the head chef to come out and they would go over what was safe to eat and what wasn't. To be honest, they had steamed veggies, rice, fruit, salads and Indian food at every single meal. And it wasn't the same food over and over again. different salads (mexican corn salad, garbanzo bean salad, carrot/raisin salad come to mind).

edit: asked my wife and she reminded me that they have a "Gluten Free" section in the windjammer. Mostly meats but everything there is gluten free. have to ask if it has dairy in it.

Again, my wife will attest: she loved her food on Oasis of the Seas and we're planning our next trip!

I can't speak for carnival, because i've never been on one. This is our 4th cruise with RC but first since my wife can't do dairy or gluten. RC did have Labadee, Haiti, a private peninsula in haiti. When we booked, my wife didn't want to get off the ship at Haiti, because it's the poorest country in the western hemisphere. But to be honest, it was AMAZING....the best port by far on our cruise! Private beaches both on the ocean side and a lagoon by the ship. Very hot and sunny when we were there in early March the water was clean and fantastic. Lunch was limited to fruit and veggie salad for us that day.

Kids on the cruise? They have a different section for smaller kids and a solarium for adults over 16 or 18 (can't remember). Activities/shows were mostly geared towards adults, including very funny comedians that were an adults-only show. Aqua show was amazing.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat (ha) in trying to decide. We are also GF and I wasn't impressed with DCL and their offerings, especially for kids. The kids were offered spaghetti, pizza, burgers and chicken tenders in what seemed a never ending rotation :( They did offer steamed broccoli but it didn't have much flavor and I wouldn't have eaten it either.

At any rate, it seems like Carnival has better ports, from what I've looked at. We are looking at October and 6+ nights, preferably Eastern or Southern as well.

1) Cost. Which one is the best value and why? (They seem comparable from what I've seen.)

3) Excursions and special offerings only to each line. For example, I know RCCL offers PADI dive certifications onboard some of their ships. Does Carnival offer anything specifically? Do they also offer this amenity? (We are looking to get dive certified, so this was a big plus for Royal!)

Thank you!

I have done 3 DCL cruises and 2 Carnival cruises:

1) Can't answer now as I haven't tried RCCL yet ... but I do think Carnival is an excellent value.

2) Carnival is great for adults. Lots of comedy shows. Serenity section on the ship is adult only and some ships out of Spring Break also use the aft pool as adult only. Musical revues are not Disney songs. ;)

4) I will experience Half Moon Cay in October 2018. If you haven't sailed by that date, I will definitely do a review on the Carnival thread in the DCL section.

5) Carnival has a lot of ship and outside of a few lower scores here and there, they are generally really clean and some ships even scored 100/100 on the last two years. You can see the results of CDC inspections here: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionResults.aspx

6) I do not deal with severe food restrictions but Carnival has IMO better food than DCL and much much more choices of restaurants and food counters than DCL. I don't think you'll go hungry.

P.s.: Look up the Carnival Vista and the Carnival Horizon. :)

Last edited:
We just completed a 3 night cruise on Carnival Liberty. I've sailed Carnival twice before, Royal Caribbean once, and Disney a few times (see signature)

As far as the "party crowd" on Carnival... here was our experience last week: it was a short, inexpensive cruise, so we expected the party crowd, but were shocked. During formal dinner (early seating) a table of 8 20-something girls came in, obviously already drinking. I'm assuming it was a bachelorette party, because they had party favors with them. Specifically a hot-pink squirt gun shaped in the form of you-know-what. They started squirting it into each others mouth across the table - which caused an uproar from guests seated around them. Their response "It's only water!" (like THAT was the problem?!?). There were kids sitting at dinner around them too. The response of the staff? Round of shots! I think their waiter did at least 3 rounds of shots with them during dinner. Did I mention this was early seating at the formal dinner?

That said... we met some lovely people on the cruise. Our balcony room was clean. The food was good (especially LOVED the tacos for lunch at Blue Iguana! I know everyone raves about their breakfast burritos and Guy's Burgers, but I loved the fresh made tacos for lunch). We only went to one show and it was very good.

Big difference from Disney cruise... The shows (as OP mentioned), and there is a casino on board where smoking is allowed - and smoke they do! You could hardly walk through that way without being drenched in the smell of smoke (DH is an ex-smoker so he's especially sensitive to it). We also like the way Disney disembarks better - Carvnival kept telling us where we needed to wait for our group to be called.

We did purchase Faster to the Fun, and it was totally worth it for boarding and having access to the short line at guest services.

We've decided that it was OK for the two of us, but we'll only sail Disney with the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts