RCI might be our only choice, and we have questions about using it

My situation is different from most with DVC points. I used my points to make a hotel reservation for March. I used some 2019 points and borrowed from my 2020 use year for a total of 395 points. My UY is June. My reservation was changed twice due to resort closures then cancelled by Disney. I have been told since March that if I do not use my points by May 31st I will lose them because they will all go back into my 2019 UY even though most are 2020 points.. My only other option was to move them to RCI by April 17th. I just got off the phone with member services to see if they had been updated on possible solutions. The CM told me I would lose my points even though they are now cancelling reservations into May which means I cannot make a new reservation. He put me on hold to talk to another CM. This is what they have been told to tell those with cancelled reservations and expiring points. Admin is looking at the problem and evaluating the options. They have not made a decision as to what is an appropriate course of action. They are not saying that members will not lose some points but they are going to do something. When I asked about moving points to RCI, CM told me not to do anything until they make a decision on what to do. I expressed concern about missing the deadline to move to RCI waiting for them to make a decision. I was told again to hold off that they would do something. He said that RCI was not taking points anymore so I could not move them. Anyone else been told this about RCI. Sounds like there may be some hope.

My situation is different from most with DVC points. I used my points to make a hotel reservation for March. I used some 2019 points and borrowed from my 2020 use year for a total of 395 points. My UY is June. My reservation was changed twice due to resort closures then cancelled by Disney. I have been told since March that if I do not use my points by May 31st I will lose them because they will all go back into my 2019 UY even though most are 2020 points.. My only other option was to move them to RCI by April 17th. I just got off the phone with member services to see if they had been updated on possible solutions. The CM told me I would lose my points even though they are now cancelling reservations into May which means I cannot make a new reservation. He put me on hold to talk to another CM. This is what they have been told to tell those with cancelled reservations and expiring points. Admin is looking at the problem and evaluating the options. They have not made a decision as to what is an appropriate course of action. They are not saying that members will not lose some points but they are going to do something. When I asked about moving points to RCI, CM told me not to do anything until they make a decision on what to do. I expressed concern about missing the deadline to move to RCI waiting for them to make a decision. I was told again to hold off that they would do something. He said that RCI was not taking points anymore so I could not move them. Anyone else been told this about RCI. Sounds like there may be some hope.

I've been waiting to cancel my May reservation and to move points into RCI. I didn't realize that RCI could limit the number of DVC points exchanged into their system. I really hope Disney/DVC is ready to announce something.

This is what they have been told to tell those with cancelled reservations and expiring points. Admin is looking at the problem and evaluating the options. They have not made a decision as to what is an appropriate course of action. They are not saying that members will not lose some points but they are going to do something.
Would love to see that formally announced on the member website virus update page.

That's really interesting that they told you to hold off AND that they said that RCI is not taking points anymore. Curious if anyone else has heard the same. I figured if there is no announcement by Monday I may start calling them since I'm a June UY also and know that the deadline to move points to RCI is creeping up. I thought the date was April 15th though.

That's really interesting that they told you to hold off AND that they said that RCI is not taking points anymore. Curious if anyone else has heard the same. I figured if there is no announcement by Monday I may start calling them since I'm a June UY also and know that the deadline to move points to RCI is creeping up. I thought the date was April 15th though.
The CM told me the 17th. Just hope he knows what he is talking about. I am going to call back tomorrow and see if I get the same response. I would love to know if they tell you the same thing.

The CM told me the 17th. Just hope he knows what he is talking about. I am going to call back tomorrow and see if I get the same response. I would love to know if they tell you the same thing.

I'll try giving them a call either this afternoon or tomorrow to see what they say and will definitely post here with what I'm told.

So I called just now and the CM I talked to this time gave me the 17th date for RCI. I asked to see if people were having any issues transferring to RCI and she made it seem like it's not an issue, but also said she's not that familiar with RCI herself so maybe she didn't know all of the details.

She did say that execs are trying to quantify things right now, but obviously she had no clue what they would do or those of us that might lose points.

Called member services today to see if there had been any changes and to check on transferring points to RCI. Was told that they are aware that people have expiring points and they are working on a solution. They don't know how long COVID is going to last and that will determine the path they take. They can't guarantee that everyone will not lose some points but are going to work on a case by case basis. I asked about transferring points to RCI. I was told that was the safest thing to do but not to do that until the day I had to since things are changing on a daily basis. RCI will take points in increments of 10 so they would take 390 of my points or I could borrow and make it 400. I was told that if I did transfer, that when a decision was made about lost points that I could call and tell them that I had to move them to RCI because of the date and I could work with them on a possible solution. Sounds good but I don't know how they could take points back from RCI once they have been transferred. Any other thoughts on this?

Called member services today to see if there had been any changes and to check on transferring points to RCI. Was told that they are aware that people have expiring points and they are working on a solution. They don't know how long COVID is going to last and that will determine the path they take. They can't guarantee that everyone will not lose some points but are going to work on a case by case basis. I asked about transferring points to RCI. I was told that was the safest thing to do but not to do that until the day I had to since things are changing on a daily basis. RCI will take points in increments of 10 so they would take 390 of my points or I could borrow and make it 400. I was told that if I did transfer, that when a decision was made about lost points that I could call and tell them that I had to move them to RCI because of the date and I could work with them on a possible solution. Sounds good but I don't know how they could take points back from RCI once they have been transferred. Any other thoughts on this?

IMO, I’d be very of any information CMs give to you in terms of what is going on, especially if you move points. I would not count on them coming back unless you hear that message from DVC officially.

CMs are getting a lot of flack right now and I am sure they are doing their best to give hope since nothing is known,

You have a few days to decide, but my sense is they wouldn’t be encouraging members to go the RCI route if other options are coming soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter