RCI to test requiring all adults in cabin to purchase alcohol package

***UPDATE***

So! Emailed with my TA/friend. Texted with the 3rd friend. I called Royal to discuss everything. TA/friend had a point. What if someone doesn't drink for religious reasons? That's a thing. That's exactly what I explained to the agent on the phone. The gentleman I spoke with was so kind. Put me on hold a few moments while he checked it out with someone. Was able to book the deluxe + 1 device VOOM for 2 of the 3 in our room.

Also worth noting, looks like the price has dropped with the implementation of this "test". Last week deluxe + VOOM was $488 for just me. I just paid $433.68 per person (x2 of us).

In the end I was able to circumvent this "test" and avoid paying for a 3rd deluxe package for someone who won't use it. Slight inconvenience for the bit of money shifting among us since I paid for both the deluxe packages while I had someone on the phone overriding the requirement. I could NOT book just 1 or 2 deluxe packages online. When I added the package to my cart it forced me to add for all 3 which appeared as a $1300+ line item.

I totally understand cruise lines adjusting policies and maximizing profits. That's business. What I *DO* think is craptastic is when they apply the new policies to existing bookings. People do choose one cruise line over another because the current policies fit their needs & budget better. To implement a policy change that negatively impacts existing bookings financially isn't cool. Want to change the policy? No problem. Implement it on new bookings so those people can book with full knowledge of what they're buying.

I totally understand cruise lines adjusting policies and maximizing profits. That's business. What I *DO* think is craptastic is when they apply the new policies to existing bookings. People do choose one cruise line over another because the current policies fit their needs & budget better. To implement a policy change that negatively impacts existing bookings financially isn't cool. Want to change the policy? No problem. Implement it on new bookings so those people can book with full knowledge of what they're buying.

I'm glad you got the package the way you wanted.

While not the application of a 'new policy', I ask this legitimately...what would your reaction be if you have been going along for months and months expecting your cruise to go to St. Maarten and St. Thomas and at the pier checking in you find out you're going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman? Would you consider this a 'bait and switch'?

In the end I was able to circumvent this "test" and avoid paying for a 3rd deluxe package for someone who won't use it. Slight inconvenience for the bit of money shifting among us since I paid for both the deluxe packages while I had someone on the phone overriding the requirement.
Glad you were able to make it work for you. Here's to hoping that more people on the 8 "test" cruises are as determined as you or speak up with their wallets. Doubtful, but one can always hope.

It will be interesting to see whether Royal goes the way of Carnival with this....Carnival is very strict about this policy. One person in the room is diabetic and doesn't drink? Sorry, no exceptions. One person is pregnant? Sorry, no exceptions. One person doesn't drink for religious reasons? Sorry, no exceptions. One person is a recovering alcoholic? Sorry, no exceptions. Their stance is that buying the package is a choice, so there is no discrimination.

I tweeted and got this back ...

Royal Caribbean Blog‏ @theRCLblog

IF this test makes it fleetwide, it would likely follow the old rule RC had a few years ago where if you have doctor note, you can be exempt.

Just to clarify in case any one isn't aware, this isn't an official Royal Caribbean twitter account. The Royal Caribbean Blog is an unofficial fan site. Their website has this disclaimer: "Royal Caribbean Blog is an unofficial fan blog written for other fans of Royal Caribbean International. The Royal Caribbean Blog is not affiliated with Royal Caribbean International"

It will be interesting to see whether Royal goes the way of Carnival with this....Carnival is very strict about this policy. One person in the room is diabetic and doesn't drink? Sorry, no exceptions. One person is pregnant? Sorry, no exceptions. One person doesn't drink for religious reasons? Sorry, no exceptions. One person is a recovering alcoholic? Sorry, no exceptions. Their stance is that buying the package is a choice, so there is no discrimination.

And they limit your drinks too. If it's all or nothing that makes no sense. We are traveling with a few football player guys and their limits, for vacations days, are not acceptable.

Just to clarify in case any one isn't aware, this isn't an official Royal Caribbean twitter account. The Royal Caribbean Blog is an unofficial fan site. Their website has this disclaimer: "Royal Caribbean Blog is an unofficial fan blog written for other fans of Royal Caribbean International. The Royal Caribbean Blog is not affiliated with Royal Caribbean International"

Yes, good info to share.

My take is that the site is accurate enough that hopefully the previous policy is as they stated, and hopefully they would observe the same going forward. I had never taken my DS on Royal before the change so didn't have to deal with this before.

And note I did not tweet nor tag the blog, but I did tag corporate, who also would have gotten notification in reply. Hopefully they are reading and making notes on what to expect in guest response.

I'm glad you got the package the way you wanted.

While not the application of a 'new policy', I ask this legitimately...what would your reaction be if you have been going along for months and months expecting your cruise to go to St. Maarten and St. Thomas and at the pier checking in you find out you're going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman? Would you consider this a 'bait and switch'?

I would want an explanation why. Our first Royal cruise was on Allure and our port times were pretty dramatically shortened which resulted in us cancelling a private charter we had because I wasn't spending $900 on a half day charter. The reason was because the center azipod on the ship was out causing us to run underpowered. (There's actually a fascinating YouTube video of the partial drydock repair. It was the first of its kind.). I was thoroughly annoyed and quite vocal about it when that happened because I never heard squat out of Royal. Had I not caught it on CC I would've been screwed on my charter. Poor communication. Zero excuse for such. That cruise I booked direct so there was no reason for me not to be informed by Royal. As it was we also couldn't use stabilizers (they would've further slowed us with the additional drag.) I have never been on a ship that rocked & pitched that much. It was wild. We didn't make Nassau at all. Other family members were very sick. Sailing on an underpowered ship was quite interesting.

Also we skipped Puerta Vallarta on 2015 WBPC because of unrest in the area. I had zero issue with this. As soon as they change was made we were notified via captain's announcement AND written letter with a gift. If it's not safe I'm 100% okay and appreciative of the care given.

Itinerary changes happen for usually weather or mechanical reasons. Neither are things cruise lines do without good reason. Timely notice is definitely appreciated and should be received. More often than not itinerary changes do not benefit the cruise line. So, no, I would not see a last minute itinerary change with reasonable explanation to be a "bait & switch". If it can't be done safely it can't be done.

Changing a beverage policy for existing bookings for no other reason than to benefit the cruise line financially is sketchy. Not a thing to do with safety. It's not an unavoidable, unfortunate circumstance. It's a choice by a cruise line. People select their cruises with particular cruise lines based upon what fits their budgets & logistics best. Hence why a group of 3 friends with 1 that doesn't drink alcohol would choose a cruise line who's policy allows each guest to choose the beverage package that fits them best individually. That's what THEY offered so that's what WE booked. The cruise line made the choice to change their policy for existing bookings for no other reason than to benefit themselves financially. Sketchy. As I've said before: they offered a deal with specific parameters. We bought the deal they offered. They crawfished on the agreement. (Except they didn't really since they readily changed it back which begs the question why change it in the first place AND lower the price?)

Let's say you booked a promo that promised you $200 onboard credit. Then 3 months before your cruise you found out from some random discussion forum that you aren't getting your $200 because the cruise line decided they'd rather keep that money. You never hear a peep from the cruise line. They're just going to let you show up & see if you notice you didn't get your OBC. THAT would be sketchy as all heck.

When offered something as a bait (Book with us! We'll give you/do this!) and switch (Changed our mind. You get nothing.) it's just plain messed up. Doesn't bode well for consumer confidence.

Never sailed Carnival. Definitely will keep this in mind in the future. ;)

Glad you were able to make it work for you. Here's to hoping that more people on the 8 "test" cruises are as determined as you or speak up with their wallets. Doubtful, but one can always hope.
Well that's the thing. Armchair condescending tough talking diehard apologists on other forums who aren't affected by the "test" at all and get their drawers in a twist at the mere mention of anything negative get all bent out of shape when someone who is affected gripes and/or vents. Cruise lines like Royal and NCL host group meets from that forum at their expense. That forum specifically has stroke with those cruises lines. Voicing negative reactions to crap policy changes LOUDLY there is especially important just like voting with your wallet. It's a known FACT that Disney is aware of what is said here on Disboards and other Disney-focused discussion forums. Royal I can guarantee does the same. If they don't they're foolish. It's literally free consumer feedback for them. Yeah I raised a stink. I fussed even more on CC for a specific audience. I'm voting. I'm doing my part. I do not want this test to be successful for Royal so they'll leave the policy alone for all. If I can help that I will.

IMG_1292.jpg

And, y'know, my sense of humor is simply non-standard. :joker:

I think I get your humour, so it's all good.

And I wish Disney had paid attention to the kerfuffle on this board over their own alcohol policy change 2 years ago. I got hosed on that one. Complained, nothing came of it. Still had a fun time though. Because, you know, it was still a cruise.

I think I get your humour, so it's all good.

And I wish Disney had paid attention to the kerfuffle on this board over their own alcohol policy change 2 years ago. I got hosed on that one. Complained, nothing came of it. Still had a fun time though. Because, you know, it was still a cruise.
I was a loud and proud capital B on the Disney policy change. For real. I still have a little chap on my tush from that one. As Forrest Gump would say -> That's all I'm gonna say 'bout that. :rolleyes1

**EDIT**
And every comment card I fill out asks for a prepaid all-inclusive adult beverage package that applies to more than just yucky overpriced wine selections & a beer discount. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I wonder if this will change or affect the 10 drink card that's usually available for purchase around day 3 of most RCCL cruises. I think it was $79+gratuity on our cruise in April. It's a good alternative option for those who may not be purchasing the drink package due to the new requirement. But if everyone has to purchase the drink card too, then it makes no difference.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I wonder if this will change or affect the 10 drink card that's usually available for purchase around day 3 of most RCCL cruises. I think it was $79+gratuity on our cruise in April. It's a good alternative option for those who may not be purchasing the drink package due to the new requirement. But if everyone has to purchase the drink card too, then it makes no difference.
I looked for this drink card on Anthem in March. Never saw it. I was sad!

Much like the DCL blog which many on these boards take as gospel as well.

Hope it doesn't happen.
And sure hope it doesn't go fleet wide.
Neither of us drink, so I would have to stop cruising with RCCL and we really like them

Exactly. And people had NOT been cheating the system (one person buying the package and then getting additional drinks for others in their party who didn't buy the package) WERE costing them money.

All they need to do is limit the # of drinks pp daily

***UPDATE***

So! Emailed with my TA/friend. Texted with the 3rd friend. I called Royal to discuss everything. TA/friend had a point. What if someone doesn't drink for religious reasons? That's a thing. That's exactly what I explained to the agent on the phone. The gentleman I spoke with was so kind. Put me on hold a few moments while he checked it out with someone. Was able to book the deluxe + 1 device VOOM for 2 of the 3 in our room.

Also worth noting, looks like the price has dropped with the implementation of this "test". Last week deluxe + VOOM was $488 for just me. I just paid $433.68 per person (x2 of us).

In the end I was able to circumvent this "test" and avoid paying for a 3rd deluxe package for someone who won't use it. Slight inconvenience for the bit of money shifting among us since I paid for both the deluxe packages while I had someone on the phone overriding the requirement. I could NOT book just 1 or 2 deluxe packages online. When I added the package to my cart it forced me to add for all 3 which appeared as a $1300+ line item.

The alcohol & net pkg prices often go on sale I'm told. Have yet to book one.

They can do as they will, people need to vote with their feet

Im annoyed with the new NRD system. Waiting to switch my may '18 cruise to April as i was pressed for time before my July 4th trip to WDW. Arrrrgh. Curious to see if they offer any traditional sales now for the cancellable bookings.

Sounds like RCCL is dumbing it down to be more like CCL (who i have sailed often and enjoy btw for what it is)

And they limit your drinks too. If it's all or nothing that makes no sense. We are traveling with a few football player guys and their limits, for vacations days, are not acceptable.

Yes, good info to share.

My take is that the site is accurate enough that hopefully the previous policy is as they stated, and hopefully they would observe the same going forward. I had never taken my DS on Royal before the change so didn't have to deal with this before.

And note I did not tweet nor tag the blog, but I did tag corporate, who also would have gotten notification in reply. Hopefully they are reading and making notes on what to expect in guest response.
'

Um, it's 15 alcoholic drinks a day pp. My DS were football players & 2 are still coaches. Big boys but if they drank more than 15 drinks a day they'd probably pass out. If anything i applaud CCL for reigning it in, might help their image as a party cruise line.

Didn't see that on any forums.

Likely they only offer when the ship is close to not making a profit on a sailing via the booze sales. Reported often to be offered on day 5 of a 7 day.

Hope it doesn't happen.
And sure hope it doesn't go fleet wide.
Neither of us drink, so I would have to stop cruising with RCCL and we really like them
I think you may have misunderstood. It's an "all or nothing" proposition, meaning that if 1 adult gets the ultimate package, then all the other adults in that same room must purchase the package. So in your case, you wouldn't be charged anything since you're not planning on purchasing.

I think you may have misunderstood. It's an "all or nothing" proposition, meaning that if 1 adult gets the ultimate package, then all the other adults in that same room must purchase the package. So in your case, you wouldn't be charged anything since you're not planning on purchasing.

Guess I did misunderstand. That is fine then. So glad

Figured I would drag this back up from the depths to post the update from Matt's blog: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...-stateroom-purchase-unlimited-alcohol-package

It appears they are officially going to an all-or-none system. According to the email the exceptions basically cover anybody that doesn't drink at all, just call with a reason (including simply "doesn't drink") and they will take care of it. But it does seem like they are trying to prevent one person from getting the package and another from buying individual drinks. I have no idea how they plan to enforce that, I wonder if the seapass will include a sticker or not be valid for alcohol purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!