Realistic prices for food

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
Looking at staying a week in a 1 bedroom , just hubby and me.
Hubby believes that we shouldn't have to spend more than $100 on food and go out only once or twice for dinner(nothing fancy).
So is this realistic thinking.
I think he's off the mark by a couple hundred.
Let me know.
TIA

Maybe he's thinking just cereal for breakfast, cold cuts for lunch, and hot dogs for dinner? Everyday? That might be about $100 for the week.

But if he's expecting full meals, do an experiment with hubby. Go grocery shopping with him and buy everything you normally do...PLUS all the items you already have at home that you need to make meals. Eg. Oil, seasonings, spices, aluminum foil, soup mix, flour, butter, etc.

Then add another 20% on top of that for Hawaii's increased cost of living and you should be close to what you would actually spend. I think you'll be closer to $200-300 like you think.

How adventurous is he when it comes to dining? It'd be a shame to waste a trip to the islands and only go out once or twice to Denny's.

So here's hubby's reply.
Dinner out should be no different than the prices at WDW( we don't go to Victoria and Albert). $80 for 2 not including 1 drink each . So total $100.
I'm thinking $200 a night out.

I think it depends on your eating habits.

Are you simple dinner only people? do you eat red meat or seafood? appetizers? Looking at AMA AMA as a guide - an entree is 35-50 dollars. Your 100 per dinner budget does not include appetizers, or alcoholic beverages, but is feesible if you stay on the economical side of the dinner menu. Those are not "disney" prices either - food is very expensive on the island due to the nature of the landscape.

A lot of people like Monkey Pod across the street. Entrees are similarly priced.

Grocery is much more expensive. A gallon of milk where i am from is traditionally 1.99 - in Hawaii its closer to 5.00.

johnkerryP,
Red meat both, seafood only him, I have allergies to all seafood . Appetizers- him, not me. Drinks with dinner - not all the time, maybe a glass of wine for me and wine or beer for him.
I like cooking while on vacation , breakfast usually everyday, lunch just snacking, dinner - something lite.
If we go out we like very casual , not high end restaurants.
I'll have to look up Monkey Pods and see what its about.

We had a 1 bedroom for 5 people (3 college age kids) this past January. We stayed 4 days and had 2 meals out—one at Monkey Pod and one at Off the Hook on property. We spent a little less than $300 on groceries at Albertson’s and $150 each at the two dining establishments including tip. Monkey Pod is fine and people really like their Mai Tai. Off the Hook is just ok—over priced sandwiches and salads but convenient. Having a full kitchen there is so wonderful, especially when I can make my signature drink by the pitcher for less than one drink by the pool!

The Little Mermaid

2 shots Coconut Run
Splash OJ
Splash Pineapple Juice
4oz Club Soda
Dash of grenadine
Pineapple and cherry garnish

We went to Haleiwa Joe’s on the north shore for steak and King crab legs in February and it was under $100 (we did have water), even the nicer places are more Disney expensive than crazy expensive.

I think a $100 dinner for two going out is a reasonable estimate if you avoid alcohol (we’re a Diet Coke couple, hah) and if you avoid traditionally high-value items like a steak & lobster entree.

If you stick to the lower side of the menu or don’t include drinks/appetizer or dessert, you may come close. Drinks are on average $15/each. Dinner items run $30-50. Add $15-20 for an appetizer and $10-15 for dessert. Total could run $115-165, not including tip.

Maybe he's thinking just cereal for breakfast, cold cuts for lunch, and hot dogs for dinner? Everyday? That might be about $100 for the week.

But if he's expecting full meals, do an experiment with hubby. Go grocery shopping with him and buy everything you normally do...PLUS all the items you already have at home that you need to make meals. Eg. Oil, seasonings, spices, aluminum foil, soup mix, flour, butter, etc.

Then add another 20% on top of that for Hawaii's increased cost of living and you should be close to what you would actually spend. I think you'll be closer to $200-300 like you think.

How adventurous is he when it comes to dining? It'd be a shame to waste a trip to the islands and only go out once or twice to Denny's.

This is spot on!

What I usually do is bring a lot of pantry staples with me. Things like salt, pepper, spices, foil, cling wrap, ziploc bags, granola bars, oatmeal etc. I also bring my own BBQ tongs because Aunty's loans them out. I know htey clean them after each use but I am a bit of a germaphob and it just provides me peace of mind to have my own. I use foil also in the bbq area to cover our food to bring it back to the room.There are a few threads in this Aulani section with lists of what others bring as well. I started doing this after our first few trips to Hawaii when I found I would spend a lot of money on this kind of thing and then end up leaving most of them (half used) behind to make room for Kona coffee and mac nuts to bring back

Do you mean budgeting $100 per day for a meal out? And eating in-room for your other meals during the day?

DH and I are simple eaters - we are always fine with pizza or burgers and fries. We did splurge for dinner and breakfast at Makahiki, and breakfast at Ama Ama. But other than these two meals, I would say the rest of our meals were $100 or less, total. We would each have 1-2 alcoholic drinks, and neither of us ever ordered big entrees or steaks or anything. If you think you'd be drinking more or ordering more expensive entrees, you may want to up that budget. I'd also up the budget for on-site table service meals as well.

My general rule of thumb when visiting any tourist area is budgeting $100 per person per day for food. So that would be $200 for us each day. If we spend $100 for dinner out, that leaves us with $100 for our other meals and snacks throughout the day, which was usually quick service at the resort or food that we bought grocery shopping at Target. I don't recall going over our budget.

Also keep in mind that Aulani is in an isolated planned gated tourist community. Prices are inflated for sure. Monkeypod does have a great happy hour, but if you have a car, its very easy to go elsewhere (such as into Kapolei) for more budget friendly meals.

We had a 1 bedroom for 5 people (3 college age kids) this past January. We stayed 4 days and had 2 meals out—one at Monkey Pod and one at Off the Hook on property. We spent a little less than $300 on groceries at Albertson’s and $150 each at the two dining establishments including tip. Monkey Pod is fine and people really like their Mai Tai. Off the Hook is just ok—over priced sandwiches and salads but convenient. Having a full kitchen there is so wonderful, especially when I can make my signature drink by the pitcher for less than one drink by the pool!

The Little Mermaid

2 shots Coconut Run
Splash OJ
Splash Pineapple Juice
4oz Club Soda
Dash of grenadine
Pineapple and cherry garnish

YUM!!! When you make this in a pitcher what amounts do you use????

Looking at staying a week in a 1 bedroom , just hubby and me.
Hubby believes that we shouldn't have to spend more than $100 on food and go out only once or twice for dinner(nothing fancy).
So is this realistic thinking.
I think he's off the mark by a couple hundred.
Let me know.
TIA

Two of us spent a week in a 1-bedroom November 2018 with plans similar to your husband; here was our breakdown:
First Day: Spent $158.50 at Walmart on groceries (and liquor :)) for the week
Third Day- got drinks at resort: $35.31
Fourth Day- lunch out on the island: $53.95
Fifth Day- dinner at resort: $74.17

Total: $321.93

We had a LOT of food left on the last day, and next time we will probably be more conservative on the initial trip to the grocery store. We also met a nice couple at the pool on Day 3 that was leaving and gave us all kinds of food, which we then were trying to unload to guests, along with the food we had left, on our last day. I kinda wish there was some thread on here where people could make plans to give their unused food to people who are arriving the day we leave, but I know some people don't want half-eaten boxes of cereal and half-used bags of rice. lol

Eggs 'N Things Honolulu menu with prices:

https://eggsnthings.com/waikiki-menu/
Ken's on the Big Island menu and prices:

http://kenshouseofpancakes.com/index.php/menu

Thanks, now I really want Ken's.

We take some stuff with us such as cereal, peanut butter, pancake mix, syrup, etc. because groceries are a lot more expensive in Hawaii. Our initial grocery stop will just be for very basics like soda, beer, bread, butter, and things we will eat daily. After that, if we are going to cook in our rooms or grill we will shop daily for that meal so we don't over shop and waste food or money.

Do you mean budgeting $100 per day for a meal out? And eating in-room for your other meals during the day?

DH and I are simple eaters - we are always fine with pizza or burgers and fries. We did splurge for dinner and breakfast at Makahiki, and breakfast at Ama Ama. But other than these two meals, I would say the rest of our meals were $100 or less, total. We would each have 1-2 alcoholic drinks, and neither of us ever ordered big entrees or steaks or anything. If you think you'd be drinking more or ordering more expensive entrees, you may want to up that budget. I'd also up the budget for on-site table service meals as well.

My general rule of thumb when visiting any tourist area is budgeting $100 per person per day for food. So that would be $200 for us each day. If we spend $100 for dinner out, that leaves us with $100 for our other meals and snacks throughout the day, which was usually quick service at the resort or food that we bought grocery shopping at Target. I don't recall going over our budget.

Also keep in mind that Aulani is in an isolated planned gated tourist community. Prices are inflated for sure. Monkeypod does have a great happy hour, but if you have a car, its very easy to go elsewhere (such as into Kapolei) for more budget friendly meals.

I love Aulani, but it is so isolated, that Target (and I think Costco) + kitchen in the 1 bedroom suite is a life (budget, lol) saver.

Sometimes I just wanna cook my own stuff!

I love Aulani, but it is so isolated, that Target (and I think Costco) + kitchen in the 1 bedroom suite is a life (budget, lol) saver.

Sometimes I just wanna cook my own stuff!
We rarely want to cook our own food on vacation, but we're ok with paying the higher prices at the resort restaurants. I think its important for people to remember that Aulani isn't convenient to much, so for meals, your options are to grocery shop and make your own food, suck it up and pay the higher restaurant prices, or be ok with getting in the car and driving down the highway to get to a restaurant with cheaper prices.

I will say that as just two adults, we were able to make a large pizza and garlic knots from Pizza Corner last two meals which was cost effective - it was enough for dinner one night and lunch the next day. We also caught some good happy hour specials at Monkeypod. But that was about the extent of the affordable options in Ko Olina.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter