Realistic prices for food

We rarely want to cook our own food on vacation, but we're ok with paying the higher prices at the resort restaurants. I think its important for people to remember that Aulani isn't convenient to much, so for meals, your options are to grocery shop and make your own food, suck it up and pay the higher restaurant prices, or be ok with getting in the car and driving down the highway to get to a restaurant with cheaper prices.

I will say that as just two adults, we were able to make a large pizza and garlic knots from Pizza Corner last two meals which was cost effective - it was enough for dinner one night and lunch the next day. We also caught some good happy hour specials at Monkeypod. But that was about the extent of the affordable options in Ko Olina.

For shorter trips I agree, I don't want to cook. But those kitchens at AUL make it really easy and it's tricky buying small quantities at a grocery store, so I end up with so much I'm almost compelled to cook! I tend to sleep in and then cook breakfast (since it's not super complicated), and meals out = lunch or dinner.

Agree re: monkeypod, that's probably the best reasonable option (only option almost).

Side note: I do have to say I really love the AUL breakfast with the salmon, oh I miss that!

For us, it is much cheaper to stay in a studio and eat out then to upgrade to a 1 bedroom. If you are using your DVC points and want the room, that is one thing. But if you are paying cash for the bigger room, just to have the kitchen to "save" money by cooking your meals, I would price out the difference in room cost and see how much a day you would have for a food budget. It is usually several hundred dollars a night difference between a regular room and a 1 bdrm. If you are staying and eating only in property, the $100 will be tough. Driving to local places will cut down on the cost.

johnkerryP,
Red meat both, seafood only him, I have allergies to all seafood . Appetizers- him, not me. Drinks with dinner - not all the time, maybe a glass of wine for me and wine or beer for him.
I like cooking while on vacation , breakfast usually everyday, lunch just snacking, dinner - something lite.
If we go out we like very casual , not high end restaurants.
I'll have to look up Monkey Pods and see what its about.
Your $100 a day just isn’t realistic in a Hawai’i. All the restaurants, even the casual ones, are expensive!

We’ve done 3 trips per year to Aulani for the past 6 years, always in a one bedroom. We stock up on food and alcohol at Costco on arrival, and for the rest of the week we make breakfast for everyone and lunch and dinner for the kids in the room. My husband and I skip lunch in the room, check the kids into Aunty’s at 2:30, and then spend the next 3 hours or so at a local happy hour (or two) - They are Monkeypod (make sure you request the patio), Mina’s (at the 4 seasons), Longhi’s (down the path at the Marriott) and Roy’s (across the road at the golf course). I would rank them in that order (Monkeypod and Mina’s being a close tie, but the live music at Monkeypod pushes it across the line), but it’s good to mix them all up. That gives us our “eating out” fix, then we grab the kids, watch the sunset and give them a bite to eat before bed back in the room. We are rarely hungry for dinner after the happy hours, but if we get the munchies there’s always Maui chips and spicy ahi poke (from Costco or from the ABC store across the road) in the room! ☺️

Have relaxing nights in with room service. It may come close, but you sit in bed and eat dinner!

we went a couple years ago and we were completely shocked at Taco Bell. Four medium drinks and 4 burritos cost about $30.00.
Nothing fancy

I don't think two adults can eat on $100/week even if you cook all your meals in the room. That's a ramen-for-every-meal kind of budget in Hawaii.

Let you husband browse Target.com with the Same-Day Delivery filter on for zip code 96707. Those are the actual prices you will pay in store and include sale/promotional pricing.

You can also show him the menu at the Kapolei Denny's or Zippy's (both available online) so he can see what cheap restaurants in Hawaii charge. These restaurants cater to locals, are not in a resort/touristy area, and I think they're a fair reflection of what things cost.

For what it's worth, my family of two adults, a 4yo (who is a little piggy), and a 2yo typically spends $30-$45 for a meal at a counter service type restaurant and $50-$80 (with tax and tip) at a casual table service restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter