"Redd" Joins The Pirates

I saw those comments, was expecting some of that, but not prepared for many of the things said.
I've been going to MK and riding POTC since '82 when I was 5. As I've gotten older, the implications of the original scene made it more uncomfortable to float past. As much as I'll miss the original voice acting, times change and this was overdue a change also. They've altered other moments in the ride over the years, this will be just fine too.

I didn't think it needed to be changed either, but I'm fine with it. One of the jokes from the previous version is that the redhead was kinda into it, so maybe she was so into it she joined up. I am glad I'll get to see the original version one last time on my trip to DLR next month. It closes shortly after for the change over there. At any rate, the new version seems fine to me too.

I think the animatronic looks awesome. I wasn't for or against the change but I was more in the "oh well" kind of group. Like many comments I'm reading I think the dialogue isn't the best. I wish there was a way to keep the "we wants the redhead" line. I mean, pirates are drunk pieces of crap so the line could have been more like "what loot do you want?" and the drunk pirates could say they want the redhead not the loot. Again pirates are drunk pieces of crap so it makes sense they objectify women and it doesn't have to be a "you are literally selling women and we would like to purchase the redheaded one". So like that as a way to change the context a bit without getting rid of the nostalgic line? But I completely understand why they would just want to get rid of it completely. Still the line they used instead isn't the best and i don't know...something about the voice actor they used seemed kind of lame?

Last edited:
I think the animation looks awesome. I wasn't for or against the change but I was more in the "oh well" kind of group. Like many comments I'm reading I think the dialogue isn't the best. I wish there was a way to keep the "we wants the redhead" line. I mean, pirates are drunk pieces of crap so the line could have been more like "what loot do you want?" and the drunk pirates could say they want the redhead not the loot. Again pirates are drunk pieces of crap so it makes sense they objectify women and it doesn't have to be a "you are literally selling women and we would like to purchase the redheaded one". So like that as a way to change the context a bit without getting rid of the nostalgic line? But I completely understand why they would just want to get rid of it completely. Still the line they used instead isn't the best and i don't know...something about the voice actor they used seemed kind of lame?

They could shout "We wants the redhead," and then Redd shoots at them in answer to the request.

oh my god, I'm reading some of the comments about this on the WDWNT Facebook feed....I can't believe the things people will post/say using their real names! :scared1:

Good lord people, it's just a ride!

I've thought the same thing since politics really heated things up.

They could shout "We wants the redhead," and then Redd shoots at them in answer to the request.

On one hand I like it, on the other might be a little on the poor taste side for Disney, especially considering recent events.

On one hand I like it, on the other might be a little on the poor taste side for Disney, especially considering recent events.

Well, they gave her a gun. Maybe just a warning shot then?

I will actually miss the other "non PC" joke more than the "we wants the redhead" line.

Well, they gave her a gun. Maybe just a warning shot then?

I will actually miss the other "non PC" joke more than the "we wants the redhead" line.

If it's the one I'm thinking of "Show your (is it lardboard?) side, dear" then yeah I can see that. I don't use the word or phrase PC because of the negative connotations it brings. I don't see anything wrong with updating with the times, personally. That being said, it's hard when things get too sterile and all humor is stripped out. It's not a history lesson, for sure, but at least they could've updated the humor for the times.

If it's the one I'm thinking of "Show your (is it lardboard?) side, dear" then yeah I can see that. I don't use the word or phrase PC because of the negative connotations it brings. I don't see anything wrong with updating with the times, personally. That being said, it's hard when things get too sterile and all humor is stripped out. It's not a history lesson, for sure, but at least they could've updated the humor for the times.

It is definitely part of that exchange (it's actually "larboard side" which is just the older version of Port, or the opposite of starboard, or just plain ol' left - but that's not the actual line I was really talking about). And I agree with you on the rest. I put "non-PC" in quotation marks because I kinda dislike the term too but didn't know how else to describe it.

It is definitely part of that exchange (it's actually "larboard side" which is just the older version of Port, or the opposite of starboard, or just plain ol' left - but that's not the actual line I was really talking about). And I agree with you on the rest. I put "non-PC" in quotation marks because I kinda dislike the term too but didn't know how else to describe it.

I get it for sure, too many people use it in such a derogatory way. I guess I would describe the other jokes as maybe off-color humor?

Just heard this morning that Disney needed to modify this ride due to the fact that the depiction of women were offensive. ( I believe the slave/ wench being chased by pirates. I use the term "wench" only because I believe it is the term used. Pardon me if I offended you)

Come on ! Really? Have we gotten that soft, ridiculous and sensitive? God help us!

Just heard this morning that Disney needed to modify this ride due to the fact that the depiction of women were offensive. ( I believe the slave/ wench being chased by pirates. I use the term "wench" only because I believe it is the term used. Pardon me if I offended you)

Come on ! Really? Have we gotten that soft, ridiculous and sensitive? God help us!

If you mean the scene where the Pirates were chasing the women around in circles that was changed to be the women chasing the Pirates - that was changed years ago

You're what? About a decade behind on this? Pardon me if I offended you...

They still have guns on POC? Well that will be the next to go.

In a related story CNN is reporting that an attorney representing the dead has filed a complaint with the Walt Disney company regarding it's popular "Haunted Mansion" attraction". Lawyer Ima Shyster says his clients find the term "ghosts" offensive, and wish to be called "the living challenged" instead. He has given a list of demands to Disney. A representative for the company reports that the attraction is expected to be closed for an extended period of time for refurbishments.
She went on to say the changes will reflect a more progressive view of death in line with current attitudes. "We intend on being sensitive to the feelings of those that are no longer with us".

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter