Refillable popcorn buckets and Coca Cola drink cups

sheila14

DIS Veteran
I have been searching on multiple websites with all different information but can someone please update the information regarding the refillable popcorn and drink. What is the initial price and then the price to refill. Can you refill each day you are there or pay another surcharge to reactivate? Also, is there only one drink cup now or two? Any information would help greatly. Thank you

I don't have the exact price. I was just there during Christmas. The popcorn bucket costs around $7 to purchase and comes with popcorn. You can purchase a refill anytime and as often as you want for less than $2 each refill. You can keep bringing the bucket back to get refills indefinitely.

Their Coke Freestyle refillable mug works a little differently from the popcorn bucket. You normally buy the mug for a certain number of days that you expect to use. If you buy it to use for one day, I believe the price is a little less than $15. And for that particular day, you get unlimited "free" refill of drinks. If you buy for longer than one day, the price for each day keeps going down.

Another refillable mug you can buy is a character mug. You normally get this at souvenir shop. Cost is $16 a mug and the first refill is free. This kind of mug works exactly the same as the popcorn bucket. Each refill costs less than $2 and you can use it indefinitely.

Like I mentioned, my prices aren't exact but they should be pretty close.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I will definitely buy the popcorn bucket, I just need to figure out the soda mug I would like. I go down in August and I will post what I bought, pics, and prices.

Thank you for the information. I will definitely buy the popcorn bucket, I just need to figure out the soda mug I would like. I go down in August and I will post what I bought, pics, and prices.

I will be there in May and plan on both the popcorn bucket and the soda mug. I am happy to get pics/prices then.

I don't have the exact price. I was just there during Christmas. The popcorn bucket costs around $7 to purchase and comes with popcorn. You can purchase a refill anytime and as often as you want for less than $2 each refill. You can keep bringing the bucket back to get refills indefinitely.

Their Coke Freestyle refillable mug works a little differently from the popcorn bucket. You normally buy the mug for a certain number of days that you expect to use. If you buy it to use for one day, I believe the price is a little less than $15. And for that particular day, you get unlimited "free" refill of drinks. If you buy for longer than one day, the price for each day keeps going down.

Another refillable mug you can buy is a character mug. You normally get this at souvenir shop. Cost is $16 a mug and the first refill is free. This kind of mug works exactly the same as the popcorn bucket. Each refill costs less than $2 and you can use it indefinitely.

Like I mentioned, my prices aren't exact but they should be pretty close.

They must have changed how the Freestyle mug works. When I've gotten it in the past, it's been a certain price for the first day with unlimited refills, and then $7.99 to recharge it for each day after that.

Correction, I will be there in August. I don't know why I typed May???

Sheila - You didn't type May...I did!! :flower3:

I saw that you are going in August but since I am going in May, I figured I would take pics/ get prices then!

Does anybody know what kind of characters they have in the cups? Like is just Mickey and them or are their princess to chose from

Is the popcorn bucket good for the day of purchase only or can you bring it back the following days too? Also, if you do the dining plan option with the freestyle mug, can you pay the extra to use the mug on additional days?

Can't address the popcorn buckets, but we just got back January 29. Technically there are 2 different types of freestyle cups - one for use at the hotel (specific to Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls) and the one for the park. For the hotel cup - you purchase the number of days. It starts somewhere around $9 and for full length of stay it's $17.99. I was able to apply my AP discount for this and although I didn't know at the time, I've read that the cup is also good for the icees in the Bay Liner Diner.
The park freestyle cup works a bit differently - my records show that the initial cost was $15.97 after tax (no AP discount). The day you buy the cup - all your refills from the freestyle machine and icees within the parks are included. Thereafter, you pay per day to have the chip re-activated. I didn't do that this trip, but my notes from August state that the refill was $8.51 after tax (mixed results getting the AP discount).
There's the third option - if you have another type of cup (I'm thinking like the Transformers cups they were selling) you can pay per refill - about $1.29 I think.
And - keep in mind the "black out" period. For the hotel cups, you have to wait another 2 minutes before getting another refill. In the park it's 10 minutes between refills.
Hope that helps

They must have changed how the Freestyle mug works. When I've gotten it in the past, it's been a certain price for the first day with unlimited refills, and then $7.99 to recharge it for each day after that.

You are correct. Unless it has changed since we were there in November, there is no option to buy the Freestyle mug for multiple days. You buy it for the first day, and you pay to re-activate it each day thereafter.

The discount on Freestyle mugs comes when buying multiple mugs...ie, one for each person in your party. When we bought ours, it was something like $11.99 for one, 10.99 each for two, and $9.99 each for three or more.

Sheila - You didn't type May...I did!! :flower3:

I saw that you are going in August but since I am going in May, I figured I would take pics/ get prices then!
Thank you I thought I made the mistake. I need to stay off the internet after getting off work!!! If you can post the prices and pics that would be great.

So for drinks is the freestyle now the only option?

(in park, not resort though I may wind up having to turn over my wallet if we go to Cabana Bay seriously love the kitschy 50s vibe on their stuff. Interestingly enough my mom, who was a teenager in the 50's didn't like the hotel when i showed her photos, to her it was dated.)

Sorry, tangent

Orlando Informer mentions a classic refillable cup, are these no longer available?

Orlando Informer mentions a classic refillable cup, are these no longer available?

They do sell souvenir refillable cups too, but you have to pay each time you have them refilled. I'm not sure how much a refill is...used to be $1.19 per refill, but that was a few years back. I'm sure it's more than that now.

You are correct. Unless it has changed since we were there in November, there is no option to buy the Freestyle mug for multiple days. You buy it for the first day, and you pay to re-activate it each day thereafter.

The discount on Freestyle mugs comes when buying multiple mugs...ie, one for each person in your party. When we bought ours, it was something like $11.99 for one, 10.99 each for two, and $9.99 each for three or more.
Thanks for correcting me! You guys are absolutely right!! I got it confused with the multiple mug purchase deal.

(in park, not resort though I may wind up having to turn over my wallet if we go to Cabana Bay seriously love the kitschy 50s vibe on their stuff. Interestingly enough my mom, who was a teenager in the 50's didn't like the hotel when i showed her photos, to her it was dated.)

Sorry, tangent

They sell a character refillable mug. You can buy it from a gift shop, about $16. It comes with one free refill. After that, each refill costs less than $2 (I don't remember exactly how much). These mugs are cute but very bulky to carry around.

Is the popcorn bucket good for the day of purchase only or can you bring it back the following days too? Also, if you do the dining plan option with the freestyle mug, can you pay the extra to use the mug on additional days?
You can reuse the popcorn bucket on indefinitely.

We have always been able to get the AP discount on reactivating the cups. I think the confusion was that some of the kiosks were unable to process the discounts and the cups needed to be activated at places that could offer the discount (which we were always told when they could not process it for us and where to go to activate it with the discount.) When we went in Dec, we were able to trade in our old freestyle cups for AP cups. We were told this was their answer to the kiosk issue. Activation is cheaper on the AP cups, so if we activated at a kiosk, it would amount to the same thing as our AP discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter