REFUND CHECKS - USD or CAD ???

Hoping soon. Hoping to use our refund chq for the deposit to buy a new DVC contract at Baylake.

Hi from Winnipeg! I have not received any refund yet either. However, the credit card used is now closed, so there may be a delay getting a cheque? I called the credit card company the other day and they were able to check transactions, the last being February 29 when I was actually in Disney! I first requested a refund of the days closed back on April 22, and completed the cancellation form on July 20 to request the full cancellation and refund.

Reading on another refund thread it sounds like they are really behind so I am not expecting my refund for another month.

EDIT: FYI, been on hold with them for close to 2 hours now, ugh. So for some reason they didn't cancel 1 of our 7 passes even though their notes say all 7 passes requested to be cancelled(hence the multi hour wait to get through to the escalation area). We are receiving chq's but they have not been processed yet and the amount is correct. Different chqs for each person.

Last edited:

I'm still in banking and worked as a teller for many years. Clearing a US cheque is generally fine, size/value dependent. I recently deposited my US refund cheque to my Canadian FI with no issues whatsoever. The refund cheque should come in the currency with which the item was purchased.
Did you need to do this in person? No issue with exchange?

Did you need to do this in person? No issue with exchange?

Let me know what you mean. Did I need to deposit the cheque in person? Yes, because my bank (credit union actually) won't accept a foreign funds deposit through an ABM/ATM machine. Now if you have a large foreign funds cheque and maybe not the best 'banking relationship' with your FI then they made hold a US cheque for up to 30 days to allow clearing but I think for most people no holds would ( or should ) be placed. If you want to deposit the US cheque to a canadian $$ account, that should also be fine. Depending on the exchange rate at the time you paid for your passes you may come out ahead. If the exchange is/was super crappy at the moment (I'm now in admin so I don't follow the exchange rate like I used to) then I would suggest opening a USD$ account and deposit your cheque, no exchange needed.

Let me know what you mean. Did I need to deposit the cheque in person? Yes, because my bank (credit union actually) won't accept a foreign funds deposit through an ABM/ATM machine. Now if you have a large foreign funds cheque and maybe not the best 'banking relationship' with your FI then they made hold a US cheque for up to 30 days to allow clearing but I think for most people no holds would ( or should ) be placed. If you want to deposit the US cheque to a canadian $$ account, that should also be fine. Depending on the exchange rate at the time you paid for your passes you may come out ahead. If the exchange is/was super crappy at the moment (I'm now in admin so I don't follow the exchange rate like I used to) then I would suggest opening a USD$ account and deposit your cheque, no exchange needed.
In person at a teller. My worry is the cheque doesn’t note USD. That’s what I meant by issues with the exchange. Thanks for your response. Sounds like we should be okay.

I still haven't received our refund chq's that they said were being sent over a month ago.....

I hope you get yours soon. I had to call three times. Five hours on the telephone.
They actually called me to confirm my address.....and they still aren't here. We are going there in 27 days. Maybe I will just go to the ticket window and say give me my refund please, lol.

They actually called me to confirm my address.....and they still aren't here. We are going there in 27 days. Maybe I will just go to the ticket window and say give me my refund please, lol.
Terrible customer service.

In person at a teller. My worry is the cheque doesn’t note USD. That’s what I meant by issues with the exchange. Thanks for your response. Sounds like we should be okay.

Don't worry, the cheque will usually show US funds and/or the address of the cheque will show that it's drawn on a US bank. The teller will be able to detect that it's a US cheque. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!