Refund question for renter- Davids

Chrisv28

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I’m not sure what to do, and am stuck in a bit of a pickle. We are very stressed trying to deal with David’s Vacation Club, and need some guidance on how to proceed.

I have a reservation in the first week of September. I am Canadian, and there is a travel ban for travel into the USA- as well as a mandatory 14 day self isolation upon returning.
David’s is offering the same solution as others- “if the reservation gets rented”, I would get a travel credit. I am 100% ok with the travel credit, but I don’t think they’ll be able to rent it at that price I paid. Does anyone have any recommendations?
We spent close to $4500 USD. The reservations were booked pre covid.
Is there anything we can do? I know flights are still operating between Canada and the USA, but I don’t have the ability to work from home and don’t have the extra 2 weeks of vacation days.

thanks in advance for all your help!!

Someone in a similar situation posted on the boards here. It might be helpful to read through that thread! I totally feel for you. I am also from Canada and ALMOST rented points through David's right before things got real serious. Luckily, I hadn't done my research at that point and put in the request too late, so the room type/dates I wanted weren't available and I decided not to rent. I'm so grateful fate was smiling down on me, as I couldn't imagine being one of the renters being caught up in this mess.

I have never rented points before, and this situation forced me to really do my research and I was able to convince my partner to buy resale instead, so now we are owners but with no idea when we will actually get to use our points! But at least I will have control over my reservations when we are finally able to travel safely and without quarantine! Hope you are able to find some resolution!

It seems Like your best option is to ask him if he would be willing to advertise for a lot less.

Unfortunately, other than that, there is not much you can do since it appears this is the only option. He is obligated to pay the owners the full amount with resorts and parks open, so there may not be much wiggle room.

I haven't ask but with David's do you know who the owner it? Also could you change the primary renters name?

Just thinking you could try renting it out yourself and just updating the name on the reservation?

I haven't ask but with David's do you know who the owner it? Also could you change the primary renters name?

Just thinking you could try renting it out yourself and just updating the name on the reservation?

That doesn’t seem to be allowed per the way David’s is handling it. Plus, any renter found would still have to go through David’s so the owner can update it,

It seems he is only offering renters the change to list it as a confirmed reservation through his website.

Sorry you are in such a bad situation. You need to realize that you most likely aren’t going to get all your money back - you need to advertise the rental at a reduced rate to find a new renter. We are in the market for a dedicated reservation for September, but with all the uncertainty, we would never rent at full price. Way too risky. We are willing to gamble with some money, not full price - and it will be a gamble because the virus is still so unpredictable.

Looking for some suggestions on how to handle a similar situation. We're in Canada and booked (pre-Covid) a November trip with David's. We reached out to David's a few months ago and asked about the owners re-renting to someone else, but the owners refused. We asked David's if we could donate the points but David's refused and would not offer any alternatives.

With the border between Canada and US closed and all flights cancelled, David's is now offering a voucher. We feel that a voucher from David's is essentially worthless and that our money is lost; while we don't like it we we accept it.

My question is this: if we accept the voucher, do the owners still get paid? Or would they be able to cancel the reservation and have their points back? If we refuse the voucher then what happens to the owners? What happens to the room reservation? Either way our money is gone, just trying to understand the implications for David's, Disney and the owners if we accept or refuse the voucher from David's. Any info will help, thanks!

Looking for some suggestions on how to handle a similar situation. We're in Canada and booked (pre-Covid) a November trip with David's. We reached out to David's a few months ago and asked about the owners re-renting to someone else, but the owners refused. We asked David's if we could donate the points but David's refused and would not offer any alternatives.

With the border between Canada and US closed and all flights cancelled, David's is now offering a voucher. We feel that a voucher from David's is essentially worthless and that our money is lost; while we don't like it we we accept it.

My question is this: if we accept the voucher, do the owners still get paid? Or would they be able to cancel the reservation and have their points back? If we refuse the voucher then what happens to the owners? What happens to the room reservation? Either way our money is gone, just trying to understand the implications for David's, Disney and the owners if we accept or refuse the voucher from David's. Any info will help, thanks!
We were offered the same credit- I believe (3?) years to use it. The way the reservation went with us was that David’s asked us to call Disney to remove the reservation from our MDE. Disney messed up a little and didn’t remove it completely so we were getting notifications and were charged for the incidentals (by accident). The room remained empty and the owner got paid as there was still a contract David’s was required to fulfill with the owner. I haven’t looked much into it as we aren’t planning on using ours next year due to the risk in booking, but you could potentially ask them if you could use your credit under a friends name and donate it that way to a charity. Not sure if they would let you though. I’m surprised they aren’t letting you re-rent the reservation though or letting you move the credits into another persons name. Hope it works out!

The owners technically have to add names or change names (other than one lead guest name) so if you find someone that wants that reservation, you can ask them to add those names. For example, you have a studio that can fit 4, you rent it out for only three guests and have the owner change the names of all but one guest. However, I'm not sure where you would be able to rent the reservation at (not here).

But, because this is a non-refundable transaction, there was no force majeure clause in the original contract, and the resort is open, you're really only left with the option of getting the voucher. The owner gets paid; the points are gone. Sometimes, DVC will return the points to the owner if it notices no one checks in (other than the first day), but that seems to be rare.

We were offered the same credit- I believe (3?) years to use it. The way the reservation went with us was that David’s asked us to call Disney to remove the reservation from our MDE. Disney messed up a little and didn’t remove it completely so we were getting notifications and were charged for the incidentals (by accident). The room remained empty and the owner got paid as there was still a contract David’s was required to fulfill with the owner. I haven’t looked much into it as we aren’t planning on using ours next year due to the risk in booking, but you could potentially ask them if you could use your credit under a friends name and donate it that way to a charity. Not sure if they would let you though. I’m surprised they aren’t letting you re-rent the reservation though or letting you move the credits into another persons name. Hope it works out!
Thank you! Good point about calling Disney - it's bad enough to pay for a room I'm not using, I don"t want to pay for incidentals too!

The owners technically have to add names or change names (other than one lead guest name) so if you find someone that wants that reservation, you can ask them to add those names. For example, you have a studio that can fit 4, you rent it out for only three guests and have the owner change the names of all but one guest. However, I'm not sure where you would be able to rent the reservation at (not here).

But, because this is a non-refundable transaction, there was no force majeure clause in the original contract, and the resort is open, you're really only left with the option of getting the voucher. The owner gets paid; the points are gone. Sometimes, DVC will return the points to the owner if it notices no one checks in (other than the first day), but that seems to be rare.
Thank you!

I am not sure that is true. I know you have to fix spellings and such, but changing names? I don’t remember agreeing to that when I rented.

His current Owner agreement on the website does not say anything like that.

I am not sure that is true. I know you have to fix spellings and such, but changing names? I don’t remember agreeing to that when I rented.

His current Owner agreement on the website does not say anything like that.

I think that was discussed in the really long thread, that as long as one of the names stays the same, the others can be changed

I think that was discussed in the really long thread, that as long as one of the names stays the same, the others can be changed

It may have been but I don’t remember that when I agreed last year and since my deal ended in August I got rid of the emails.

Honestly, asking an owner to go back and change names is really like a new rental so I don’t think he asks that of owners. I do think a renter can ask if they can add new guests so I guess if there is room that may be the same?

We took the voucher and had no problem rebooking for next April. We have used David’s many times in the last 5 years. We have never had any problems. We live in Canada and who knows what it will be like in April. I emailed David’s this week to find out what would are options be if we can’t go. They emailed back that the voucher would be lost. No refund would be issued. I guess that’s the way it goes. Not sure what happens to the room if we don’t show up. Just thought I would tell people that there are no options if you cancel after using the voucher.

We took the voucher and had no problem rebooking for next April. We have used David’s many times in the last 5 years. We have never had any problems. We live in Canada and who knows what it will be like in April. I emailed David’s this week to find out what would are options be if we can’t go. They emailed back that the voucher would be lost. No refund would be issued. I guess that’s the way it goes. Not sure what happens to the room if we don’t show up. Just thought I would tell people that there are no options if you cancel after using the voucher.

When a guest doesn’t show up, all points are lost. The owner who booked for you will still get paid, and David’s will get to keep the full amount of the voucher..although the original owner was paid about 50% of it.

It is one of the reasons...the no rebooking and all being lost..that many did not accept and filed a dispute with their CC company, Many renters won and were refunded it all.

The new renter contract includes vouchers now for closures, etc. to prevent renters in the future from doing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!