Replacement Couch Cushions

dobball23

DIS Veteran
My couch is in very good condition after 17+ years. Unfortunately, the cushions have lost their springiness and collapse quite a bit. We think we should be able to replace the foam inside. There are a ton of websites that seem to do this at an exorbitant cost. We would like to order some foam and do it ourselves to keep our costs down. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? And any suggestions on affordable foam that will last and keep its firmness?

My couch is in very good condition after 17+ years. Unfortunately, the cushions have lost their springiness and collapse quite a bit. We think we should be able to replace the foam inside. There are a ton of websites that seem to do this at an exorbitant cost. We would like to order some foam and do it ourselves to keep our costs down. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? And any suggestions on affordable foam that will last and keep its firmness?
My mom did it a couple of times over the years. She bought the firmest foam she could find, in the appropriate thickness, removed the old foam and traced around it as a pattern on the new foam, cut the new foam and placed it back in the covers. One set had zippers, so those were very easy, and one set she had to sew after installing the new foam. For the one she had to sew, she did the seam on the back edge so it wouldn’t show.

She got her foam at a local store that carried reupholstery fabric.

I'd check and see if Joanns has the size you need. Between sales and coupons you can get a good deal. I'm just not sure if they sell it thick enough for a couch cushion. You can look online both to see what's online only and what's in store.

My mom did it a couple of times over the years. She bought the firmest foam she could find, in the appropriate thickness, removed the old foam and traced around it as a pattern on the new foam, cut the new foam and placed it back in the covers. One set had zippers, so those were very easy, and one set she had to sew after installing the new foam. For the one she had to sew, she did the seam on the back edge so it wouldn’t show.

She got her foam at a local store that carried reupholstery fabric.
That is essentially what we would like to do. Finding the firmest foam (for an affordable price) seems to be the challenge for us.

We did buy this from GoTo Foam (through Amazon) but it only seems marginally better than our 17-year-old cushions despite saying it is firm.

I'd check and see if Joanns has the size you need. Between sales and coupons you can get a good deal. I'm just not sure if they sell it thick enough for a couch cushion. You can look online both to see what's online only and what's in store.
Great suggestion about JoAnn, especially with their deals and coupons. I just looked and, unfortunately, the thickest foam they have is 5", but I need 6".

Great suggestion about JoAnn, especially with their deals and coupons. I just looked and, unfortunately, the thickest foam they have is 5", but I need 6".

I kind of figured that might be the case. One thing to consider if you can't find 6" is using two dif sizes and either just putting them.in together or using the correct type of spray glue to stick the pieces together. Like an aerosol type spray glue.

Or if you find the right person at joanns, so maybe a manager or if you can go during the day when the older ladies tend to work cutting fabric, they may have a suggestion on where to buy it. I find those ladies are generally the best for questions because they often have been sewing for years.

There used to be a chain called The Sofa Factory. They built couches to order and guaranteed the foam for life. After about 20 years we got our free replacement foam under warranty. Would have kept that couch just for the warranty and the fabric on it was still perfect after 30 years but Sofa Factory went out of business.

I would suggest wrapping the replacement foam in fiber-fill before inserting into the fabric covers. It will soften the sharp edges and give a fluffier appearance. My MIL had luck with under couch cushion supports--if you search the term on amazon there are a lot of options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter