Resale Members - How do you answer this question at WDW?

lalariner

Earning My Ears
"Are you a DVC member?"

I always get hung up here, especially in shops. I've said "no" before knowing that I'm not supposed to get a discount even though I am a member, and then I've said "yes" before and received a discount without having my card checked.

Either way feels strange to me honestly. Just curious how you respond - do you say "yes" and then add a qualifier?

:)

CM: Are you a member?
Me: Yes.
CM: Great! Welcome home!
Me: But I bought resale.
CM: Oh, ok. (starts to ring up)
Me: I didn't buy from Disney directly.
CM: Ok.
Me: I saved lots of money.
CM raises an eyebrow.
Me: I mean A LOT of money. See that Buzz Lightyear toy?
CM: The one I'm trying to ring you up for?
Me: Yeah. I could buy 4,000 of those at regular price and still pay less than buying direct.
CM: I was going to give you the discount anyway.
Me: I'm rich... points rich... and money rich... mostly the points rich. OK, not really the money rich part.
CM stares blankly
Me: But lots of points, believe you, me.
CM: Did you still want this?
Me: Yes. With the discount, please.

ETA this is pure fiction and absolutely of no help to OP, I know.

CM: Are you a member?
Me: Yes.
CM: Great! Welcome home!
Me: But I bought resale.
CM: Oh, ok. (starts to ring up)
Me: I didn't buy from Disney directly.
CM: Ok.
Me: I saved lots of money.
CM raises an eyebrow.
Me: I mean A LOT of money. See that Buzz Lightyear toy?
CM: The one I'm trying to ring you up for?
Me: Yeah. I could buy 4,000 of those at regular price and still pay less than buying direct.
CM: I was going to give you the discount anyway.
Me: I'm rich... points rich... and money rich... mostly the points rich. OK, not really the money rich part.
CM stares blankly
Me: But lots of points, believe you, me.
CM: Did you still want this?
Me: Yes. With the discount, please.

ETA this is pure fiction and absolutely of no help to OP, I know.

I would watch this movie every day. :rotfl2:

I totally feel you! I've never been sad to not have a merch discount because of the thousands we already saved, but it does make for an awkward exchange sometimes!

"Are you a DVC member?"

I always get hung up here, especially in shops. I've said "no" before knowing that I'm not supposed to get a discount even though I am a member, and then I've said "yes" before and received a discount without having my card checked.

Either way feels strange to me honestly. Just curious how you respond - do you say "yes" and then add a qualifier?

:)
Well, I purchased before the most recent change, so even though I purchased resale, I have all member benefits with the exception of being able to use my points for the Disney Collection. No great loss, IMO. So, as far as DVC is concerned, I have been grandfathered in as a member as long as I own the contracts. And I have a blue membership card.

However, the truthful answer to that question for that anyone who purchased resale post-April 4, 2016 (and does not have any direct points or has other contracts that are grandfathered in) would be "I am an owner who purchased resale". In truth, you are not a member of "the club". You are an owner. That's why you have the white digital card and not a blue one. It's the DVC version of a scarlet letter. If the CM rings up a discount for you without having to show your card, then at least you have been truthful with them and you can go about your day with a clear conscience.

I would watch this movie every day. :rotfl2:

I totally feel you! I've never been sad to not have a merch discount because of the thousands we already saved, but it does make for an awkward exchange sometimes!
From what I've read on the boards, CMs don't seem to be paid enough to really care how you became a DVC member. For merchandise, they don't seem to "verify" if you're blue card or wear the mark of resale shame.

Last edited:
We've owned for awhile and are qualified for everything but honestly IMO DVC needs to be the one to place controls to monitor when discounts are given. It is not up to the member to be self policing. I'd just answer yes that I am a DVC member. If the questions continue resale/direct/qualified etc then just answer honestly.

I also suspect that the merchandise discounts and such are given by that department. I don't really know the internal accounting but it's mostly likely something merchandising has decided to offer to encourage continued purchasing by repeat guests. However, again, not really up to individual members to worry about IMO. There have been different types of cards issued depending on qualified status and so they do have something to check if they want to put that effort in or to train their employees to follow the requirement.

As a resale buyer, you pay the same amount of dues/fees as those who purchased direct. To me you ARE a member and should get all the perks, sadly DVC doesn't see it that way, maybe the new boss will have his head on straight and let all members have the same perks.

FYI, I did buy direct back in 1993

The answer is "Yes".

At most locations, they'll scan your band which tells them the "DVC Member" checkbox was checked when making the reservation. That checkbox doesn't reflect the nuance of qualified and non-qualified. And, really, the CM doesn't care. The only place I was asked for a card was when I attempted to buy a candy bar at the Contemporary grocery store.

Resale member, but I have an annual pass, so if they apply the DVC discount instead of the AP one, I figure it comes out even in the end.

If you are asked if you are a member, the answer is yes. Every DVC owner is a member, regardless of how they bought. It's that simple. The membership of the club is automatic by appertuance of the real estate interest.
The terms qualified, non qualified etc are terms coined on forums.
Membership perks are nothing to do with Disney rewarding members. They are simply there as non contractual marketing they can change any time to sell more new timeshare and (perhaps) with discounts entice more spending in retail stores and restaurants.

Yes yes you are a DVC owner, no matter how you bought in. I was just there in April and was asked many places if we were DVC and said Yes. Many merch/dining places asked for a ID and I showed them the screenshot of our member number, and was given the discount.

You are not only an owner, but a fully fledged member of DVC as a resale buyer, so if the question is are you a member or are you an owner, the answer is yes.
DVD's freebies (aka perks) are not part of membership to the club that is DVC.
There's no such thing as a 'resale member' there's no hybrid membership to DVC the club, it's full member or nothing. There is a 'resale buyer' which DVC then gives non club benefits to.
DVD has managed to manipulate perception of club membership very well, helped by tools such as member services giving access to non club perks and policing the accessibility, and best of all, the blue and white card.

Last edited:
I am a very literal person. If you ask me the question, "are you a DVC member"? My answer will be, "yes". Should you want to inquire further about my membership as it relates to discounts you as a CM want to bestow upon me then I'm of the opinion that burden is on you. I don't ever just volunteer additional information, I will gladly tell you the truth but i'm leaving it up to you to ask.

If we are getting a new executive for DVC, maybe the policy will change again?

:earsboy: Bill

I am a very literal person. If you ask me the question, "are you a DVC member"? My answer will be, "yes". Should you want to inquire further about my membership as it relates to discounts you as a CM want to bestow upon me then I'm of the opinion that burden is on you. I don't ever just volunteer additional information, I will gladly tell you the truth but i'm leaving it up to you to ask.

YES.

Next month I plan on having my blue card out and ready for them to see before they ask. But if they were to ask me if I bought direct or re-sale, I would be honest and say resale.

Hehe... more to the point...

If someone undercharges you, and you know you are not entitled to the discount, would you correct them or allow it; and is that stealing to leave a store having paid less than the intended price if the salesperson applies the wrong price or discount and you know it's wrong...

Come on someone had to say it. ;)

PS. YES you are a member. However if you know a mistake is being made and you leave a store with merchandise knowing you paid less than its real price, then that is stealing. Nobody cares, of course, just putting it out there since people are toeing the line.

Google around. There are thousands of sites analyzing the misuse of discounts or discount codes. Even when a sales rep accepts or applies an invalid discount, it is still theft if you know you're paying less than you owe. They should train people consistently of course.

This very question happened to me at Hilton Head in March. Ask me was I a DVC Member and I said yes, got the discount and felt good about it.

And they ask me in 2016 as well at Hilton Head and I told them the truth, no I wasn't.

PS. YES you are a member. However if you know a mistake is being made and you leave a store with merchandise knowing you paid less than its real price, then that is stealing. Nobody cares, of course, just putting it out there since people are toeing the line.

By definition "stealing" is taking property belonging to another person without permission or legal right and not intending to return it.

However, by answering the question honestly, getting a discount and paying for the product all without receiving any follow up questions is on the CM. This is considered "policy violation" rather than stealing and falls on the CM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter