Research on Disney and the effect of Nostalgia

Did nostalgia play a part in you deciding to watch the recent production of the Lion King ('19)?

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Cormac0569

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a Masters's Degree at the London College of Music and for my dissertation, I am doing a case study on Disney's 'The Lion King' and the theory surrounding nostalgia. I have a survey that I would like people to fill in but as I am not allowed to post links here I will settle with a single poll.

Did nostalgia play a part in you deciding to watch the most recent production of the Lion King (2019)?

I have been a Disney fan for as long as I remember and it is an absolute privilege to be able to conduct research on a topic I am so passionate about.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to fill it out!

Kind Regards,

Cormac0569

Last edited:
Hey there, I'm a Ph.D. student, and I appreciate the difficulty there is in collecting data for a research project. I've responded to your survey, and I encourage those who don't have experience in research to do the same. Believe me... it's difficult.

To further my response, I'll tell you that I did not watch the last iteration of the Lion King. I don't believe in rebooting movies that were already perfectly fine, so, I guess, yes, nostalgia played a role in my decision.

On another note, I have you considered sending out a Qualtrics survey to all of the students in your university?

EDIT: I wish that I could do a research project on Disney; alas, my Ph.D. quest is nowhere near that area! Although, as both of us are academics, it is not uncommon to find and "angle" to research anything and apply it to your discipline :) And no, I'm not talking about P-hacking! (Anyone not in the know, this refers to manipulating data so as to support your hypothesis... academic journals are not, though should be, big on publishing articles that report null findings).

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a Masters's Degree at the London College of Music and for my dissertation, I am doing a case study on Disney's 'The Lion King' and the theory surrounding nostalgia. I have a survey that I would like people to fill in but as I am not allowed to post links here I will settle with a single poll.

Did nostalgia play a part in you deciding to watch the most recent production of the Lion King (2019)?

I have been a Disney fan for as long as I remember and it is an absolute privilege to be able to conduct research on a topic I am so passionate about.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to fill it out!

Kind Regards,

Cormac0569
Interesting choice :) thanks for making me think.

Also working on my thesis here! Only not as interesting as your topic :) I also have to use Qualtrics or similar program for my quantative research.

And I am the same: Out of nostalgia, I didn't watch Lion King 2019. I wasn't impressed by the trailers and waited for reviews. The reviews said: It's a shot-for-shot-remake. Those claims about shot-for-shot remake completely removed any thought I had on maybe going to see it. Even with having access to it for 'free' on Disney Plus, I do not watch it.

I was impressed by the very first teaser of Beauty and the Beast remake with the shots of the castle. That made me curious, and I wanted to see more of what I am nostalgic about.
Disclaimer: Beauty and the Beast ranks much higher on my list of best movies ever. I never got into the hype of the Lion King.

Hi there! I haven't watched it. And the choice isn't really nostalgia based so much as the style of the movie kind of creeps me out.
Maybe I'll watch it some day if my kids ask but until then live or animated kind of avoiding the hybrid.

Original poster: Out of curiosity, did you have the option to take comprehensive exams or write a thesis? If so, why did you make the choice you did.

Unfortunately, in my Ph.D. program, I have to take (2) 9 hour sit-down comps, then publish before I have to write a dissertation.

I loved the animated Lion King and have no interest in watching the 'live' action.

I prefer animation as a medium and I feel the live action looses something. I also wasn't thrilled that they didn't have Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella. ( It's like a wrong sounding Kermit. )

I much prefer Disney's live action movies to be original.

Yeah, absolutely. Nostalgia plays a part in it. *Spoiler alert, Mufasa still dies*
I take my daughter to see all the Disney movies when they come out though. It's just kind of our thing, but nostalgia certainly plays into it for me to some extent. Now, if you start talking to some people on here about attractions at the parks like the Haunted Mansion, Carousel of Progress, the People Mover, Captain EO, The Journey into Imagination, Main Street Electrical parade, etc., you'll find some deep nostalgia there.

Hi, to answer your question I didn't watch it for Nostalgia. I actually watched it for two separate reasons. 1st reason is because I wanted to judge for myself all that I had heard on film critique videos. The second reason was because of the merchandise. Even if the movie was horrible. (To which I think the remake was. They took Rafiki's line). Then I could at least find some cool home merchandise possibly. (That, unfortunately didn't happen either)

I also did not watch it for nostalgia reasons (and multiple others) however i was a huge fan of the animated one.

i see all the academic peeps commenting and man, i wish i could tackle higher education! But ive tried twice and never finished, my brain doesnt work that way and i cant take the stress.

so good luck on furthering yourself through your phd!!

Nostalgia did influence my decision to SKIP the so called 'live action' Lion King movie, Some things are just about perfect as they are and attempts to improve them are an exercise in failure. 'The Lion King' set new standards for 2D 'hand drawn' animation the opening sequence is a tour de force of the animators art with the physics of the flocks of birds and the implied momentum of the elephants.

The photorealistic version is just another CGI effects movie, it had no heart no soul. Disney took the wrong idea from 'The Jungle Book' which stood on its own, Mulan, while in the orignal there was a little too much of a good thing with Mushu the dragon. The live action was just another Asian Kung Fu movie.

Friends said it was good, so I watched it, long after it came out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!