Resort Change by Disney

Quick update - got a few calls and VM from Disney. Have a stay booked at BWI standard view for 12/13-16. They said they wanted to price protect us and send us to YC garden/woods view. I said I wanted to move dates bc it was originally a bounce back offer of 30% off deluxe plus I’m in NC so I also qualified for the current 30% promo and I saw availability on their website for 12/8-11. He checked and YC was available for $130 something less than my original total. But he changed it in MDE before I could check my old price but I’m pretty sure he was right. Prolly gonna cancel anyway as we bout universal APs since I can’t buy Disney APs now. Oh well. I have time to see if things change...

Last edited:
I was moved from POFQ Garden View to GF Garden View and was upgraded to Lagoon View at check-in. It was great. Sweeping view of Magic Kingdom and the CR. Not too fancy for anyone worried about that... we met other people at the pool also moved there from POFQ and other resorts.

We were had the option of the following- here's why I declined them. We have a car at Disney so I didn't consider transportation in to my equation. We held out and let disney move us instead of volunteering to move to CBR or CSR.
  • SSR 1 bedroom- not excited about this resort personally and if I wanted to stay there, I would rent DVC points for even less $$. It's also easy to book on DVC points so I'm sure we'll stay there at some point on a last min trip. For 2 adults, the kitchen would go unused.
  • CR Garden Wing- resort seems a bit dated to me, and while we have a lot of nostalgia about this place and the monorail going through, I would probably want to stay in a tower room for a future trip if we ever did it. This wasn't being offered so we passed.
  • YC- love this resort, but having stayed at BC before and enjoyed Stormalong Bay, we wanted something new. Also without park hoppers, staying at the Epcot resorts loses a bit of appeal to us. We loved being able to hop to Epcot to end our days.
  • Riviera- standard studio (confirmed not the murphy bed one but forget what its officially called)- would have been cool since it was so new, but not having ever been there for a meal, etc I didn't want to book something so sight unseen in case we didn't like the overall feel.
  • OWK- she started to offer this but I said we stayed there last year and wanted to try something new.
  • GF Garden View- ended up taking it for the following reasons- bucket list resort for us, would never spent $750+ to stay here (as nice as it was I really can't imagine paying their rack rates, ever), 2 great size pools both with pool bars as we planned to spend a lot of the trip at the resort, and the overall high-end service. The CMs here were top-notch, many with legacy award name tags.

I was moved from POFQ Garden View to GF Garden View and was upgraded to Lagoon View at check-in. It was great. Sweeping view of Magic Kingdom and the CR. Not too fancy for anyone worried about that... we met other people at the pool also moved there from POFQ and other resorts.

We were had the option of the following- here's why I declined them. We have a car at Disney so I didn't consider transportation in to my equation. We held out and let disney move us instead of volunteering to move to CBR or CSR.
  • SSR 1 bedroom- not excited about this resort personally and if I wanted to stay there, I would rent DVC points for even less $$. It's also easy to book on DVC points so I'm sure we'll stay there at some point on a last min trip. For 2 adults, the kitchen would go unused.
  • CR Garden Wing- resort seems a bit dated to me, and while we have a lot of nostalgia about this place and the monorail going through, I would probably want to stay in a tower room for a future trip if we ever did it. This wasn't being offered so we passed.
  • YC- love this resort, but having stayed at BC before and enjoyed Stormalong Bay, we wanted something new. Also without park hoppers, staying at the Epcot resorts loses a bit of appeal to us. We loved being able to hop to Epcot to end our days.
  • Riviera- standard studio (confirmed not the murphy bed one but forget what its officially called)- would have been cool since it was so new, but not having ever been there for a meal, etc I didn't want to book something so sight unseen in case we didn't like the overall feel.
  • OWK- she started to offer this but I said we stayed there last year and wanted to try something new.
  • GF Garden View- ended up taking it for the following reasons- bucket list resort for us, would never spent $750+ to stay here (as nice as it was I really can't imagine paying their rack rates, ever), 2 great size pools both with pool bars as we planned to spend a lot of the trip at the resort, and the overall high-end service. The CMs here were top-notch, many with legacy award name tags.

Wow, I’m impressed at what all they offered you! When were your trip dates?

Wow, I’m impressed at what all they offered you! When were your trip dates?
Oct 15-19
To be clear, SSR was the first offer, and I politely asked if anything else was available. It was a bday trip and were were excited about POFQ and wanted to be excited about where we ended up. CM was a doll and went through all the options she could make happen. We were paying rack rate at POFQ in garden view. She explained that your original spend does have some impact on what she could offer but didn't elaborate.

Why are there so many moves being made - or rather, offered? We are booked for Dec 23rd to Dec 27th at SSR in a Deluxe Studio - what are the odds that we get upgraded? FYI - this is a honeymoon trip.

Why are there so many moves being made - or rather, offered? We are booked for Dec 23rd to Dec 27th at SSR in a Deluxe Studio - what are the odds that we get upgraded? FYI - this is a honeymoon trip.
You will only be moved if your original resort on your original dates will not be open. SSR has been open since June. It's a big resort so there is a chance you'll have a little pixie dust at check-in if something bigger is available. Just be very nice and see if anything happens.

Yeah, you have to be booked in one of the resorts that won’t be open to get moved at this point. Those resorts are:
AoA (opens 11/1/20)
Poly (opens Summer 2021)
All Stars
Port Orleans FQ and Riverside
AKL
WL
BWI
BC

Oct 15-19
To be clear, SSR was the first offer, and I politely asked if anything else was available. It was a bday trip and were were excited about POFQ and wanted to be excited about where we ended up. CM was a doll and went through all the options she could make happen. We were paying rack rate at POFQ in garden view. She explained that your original spend does have some impact on what she could offer but didn't elaborate.

I hear you about wanting to be excited about your resort!! We’re also booked in a rack-rate garden view room at POFQ. Our TA has told us for months there’s no point in asking about anything other than what they offer, and now it’s the one-bedroom at Saratoga or nothing. She did also tell me she’s been dodging Disney’s calls about our reservation, though. 😂 I wish we could talk to a CM ourselves. Ah well, lesson learned! This was our first time using a TA - of all the years to try something new. 😂😂

You will only be moved if your original resort on your original dates will not be open. SSR has been open since June. It's a big resort so there is a chance you'll have a little pixie dust at check-in if something bigger is available. Just be very nice and see if anything happens.
Thank you - we were hoping for either the refurbished Studio or an upgrade to something bigger if we can't get that. We would be very happy with a 1 bedroom upgrade - fingers crossed. I am going to quietly say something upon check-in and hope for some pixie dust (maybe I'll look like the knight in shining armor - if they upgrade us, lol).

Thank you to everyone providing updates. I’m still waiting on my call. We are scheduled to check in to AS Movies on 12/28. I assume they will offer us a standard room at Coronado Springs since that seems the closest thing available to what we have.

Has anyone had any luck in getting a night dropped from your reservation when they move it? Or the same number of nights but just shifted by a day?

Thank you - we were hoping for either the refurbished Studio or an upgrade to something bigger if we can't get that. We would be very happy with a 1 bedroom upgrade - fingers crossed. I am going to quietly say something upon check-in and hope for some pixie dust (maybe I'll look like the knight in shining armor - if they upgrade us, lol).
A refurbished studio is a very reasonable ask. You are traveling at a peak time so they might be a bit limited in what they can offer, but never hurts to ask. You might need to wait longer for the room to be ready if that is a concern.

I hear you about wanting to be excited about your resort!! We’re also booked in a rack-rate garden view room at POFQ. Our TA has told us for months there’s no point in asking about anything other than what they offer, and now it’s the one-bedroom at Saratoga or nothing. She did also tell me she’s been dodging Disney’s calls about our reservation, though. 😂 I wish we could talk to a CM ourselves. Ah well, lesson learned! This was our first time using a TA - of all the years to try something new. 😂😂
Ugh! A bummer for sure. I have a hard time believing that it's SSR or nothing.. there is usually something they can do. I think it helped when I explained why we didn't like SSR. Mainly we wanted a great pool experience at a more centralized resort so she was looking for options to fit our request.

Will you have a car? For example, you could explain to your TA to explain to Disney that SSR is not going to work for you with the internal bus system. It is a hassle. We loved staying at OKW (similar to SSR ) but would never stay there without a car. It just wouldn't have been enjoyable to take an internal bus every time we wanted food, the pool, gym etc.

A refurbished studio is a very reasonable ask. You are traveling at a peak time so they might be a bit limited in what they can offer, but never hurts to ask. You might need to wait longer for the room to be ready if that is a concern.
The room time is not a concern (one - due to now having to get your own luggage at MCO) and we are planning to be at DS most of the first day. So, I will say something about not having an issue if we have to wait for a better room.

Ugh! A bummer for sure. I have a hard time believing that it's SSR or nothing.. there is usually something they can do. I think it helped when I explained why we didn't like SSR. Mainly we wanted a great pool experience at a more centralized resort so she was looking for options to fit our request.

Will you have a car? For example, you could explain to your TA to explain to Disney that SSR is not going to work for you with the internal bus system. It is a hassle. We loved staying at OKW (similar to SSR ) but would never stay there without a car. It just wouldn't have been enjoyable to take an internal bus every time we wanted food, the pool, gym etc.

No, no car on our trip. We stayed at SSR and OKW for a night each last year - they’re fine properties, and worked for what we needed last year, but way too big for us. Same with CBR/CSR. You’re right about the internal bus system! We hated it at CBR (didn’t need it during our time at SSR/OKW).

We tried (a few times) giving our reasons to our TA but I don’t know that she passed them along. It’s been a less-than-great experience. Ah, well! We found an alternative that will work for us if need be. :goodvibes

No, no car on our trip. We stayed at SSR and OKW for a night each last year - they’re fine properties, and worked for what we needed last year, but way too big for us. Same with CBR/CSR. You’re right about the internal bus system! We hated it at CBR (didn’t need it during our time at SSR/OKW).

We tried (a few times) giving our reasons to our TA but I don’t know that she passed them along. It’s been a less-than-great experience. Ah, well! We found an alternative that will work for us if need be. :goodvibes
I'm so sorry that really is frustrating!

Did they call you? If so how many days before your trip did they call? We are in a similar boat.
yes they called me about 5 weeks prior. I called myself previously and was only offered CBR/CSR but said I would hold out. The CMs actually advised me to hold out. This was back in July and their hands were tied at that moment.

yes they called me about 5 weeks prior. I called myself previously and was only offered CBR/CSR but said I would hold out. The CMs actually advised me to hold out. This was back in July and their hands were tied at that moment.
Ah, thank you!

Thank you to everyone providing updates. I’m still waiting on my call. We are scheduled to check in to AS Movies on 12/28. I assume they will offer us a standard room at Coronado Springs since that seems the closest thing available to what we have.

Has anyone had any luck in getting a night dropped from your reservation when they move it? Or the same number of nights but just shifted by a day?
I'm assuming they'll try to move you to Pop or AoA since they're all values. I was able to drop and move my dates and keep price protection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter